65 caliente drum brakes

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
CometCaliente65

65 caliente drum brakes

Post by CometCaliente65 »

Hi all! In order to take the drum brakes off the 65 Comet Caliente do you first have to remove the wheel bearings? I saw one video on youtube that said you have to. If so, what size is that wheel bearing nut? Thank you

comethead

Re: 65 caliente drum brakes

Post by comethead »

Yeah the front drums have a bearing hub that rides on the wheel bearings. So the big nut has to come off to disassemble it. I think the nut is 7/8" but I'm not sure.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

CometCaliente65

Ok thank you

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

My drums were still swedged on or what ever you call it. I had to grind around each lug to get the drum free.
Johno

CometCaliente65

poboyjo65 wrote:My drums were still swedged on or what ever you call it. I had to grind around each lug to get the drum free.
What did you use to grind around the lugs? A wire wheel? It does look like a lot of rust is built up around each lug on mine. I'm tempted to go rent a drum puller from autozone and see if that works but I may need to do some grinding around the lugs as you did.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

no it was a grinding wheel.they swedged on from the factory, if I'm saying that right. but I'm sure there is a more proper way to do it. I only did the one side before realizing that I could take the whole hub & drum off together to put on a new disc brake kit. But I was surprised that it never had been off to have brake shoes put on.
Johno

Loner

Post by Loner »

poboyjo65 wrote:My drums were still swedged on or what ever you call it. I had to grind around each lug to get the drum free.
Swedged is the right word I'm thinking?
After removeing it from the spindle.Couldn't you just knock the lugs out and replace them if ruined? Then the hub would be free from the drum.
Just throwing that out there haven't messed with mine yet.

comethead

Post by comethead »

CometCaliente65 wrote:
What did you use to grind around the lugs? A wire wheel? It does look like a lot of rust is built up around each lug on mine. I'm tempted to go rent a drum puller from autozone and see if that works but I may need to do some grinding around the lugs as you did.
The lugs and hub are going to come off with the drum. They're pressed together. Or if aftermarket they could be one piece.
Go to the inner side and adjust the drums star wheel real loose. Tap around the edges with a soft mallet. It'll come. No grinding necessary unless something is really messed up.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

CometCaliente65

I'm thinking the star wheel is that part that you turn to adjust the drum shoes. Which way would you turn it to make it loose? Turn it upwards or downwards?

Loner

Post by Loner »

Downwards
Sometimes you have spray some W-D40 in there to get it lubed up a bit before they will even move.

Matt