YET ANOTHER '65 BUILD

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
BST'65

Re: YET ANOTHER '65 BUILD

Post by BST'65 »

Comechero65 wrote:
BST'65 wrote:Mike,
Came home to this bad boy today. Saving money on used parts is nice but, nothing beats cracking open the brand new ones! Pretty sure I am gunna attempt to port match this to the heads, I spent enough on them want to make sure I get the most! Any opinions, stories or, advice on porting at home? :oops:
- Ben
If you own a die grinder you can alter the ports for a better match. Just takes time.
Ron

No die grinder, just a dremel.
Rocket989 wrote:Which heads are you rolling with...I can't remember? I'd be tempted to leave the intake alone. Nothing wrong with the intake manifold ports being a smaller than the head ports (you just don't want the opposite). Depending on the amount of metal removed you can get a "Coke bottle" affect on the runners that's not beneficial. Full on intake porting is typically a lot of plenum work & the full length of the runners.

Not sayin' it'd hurt but those intakes flow pretty good outta the box! :lol: :lol: :D
Yeah thinking I'll take you're advice on this one, would hate to trash a brand new intake. I'm running the TFS 11Rs and after another look they match the ports on the intake pretty well. :P

Joe,

Thanks man! Getting the welder turned in for sure, driver side toe boards are next I think they will be a little tougher. Definitely nervous because, I know that's a little more structural area! I'll give it a shot though! :mrgreen:

Thanks,
Ben

comethead

Post by comethead »

Hey Ben the toe boards lay on top of the upper skin of the front torque boxes.
So cut easy and hopefully the torque box itself isn't rotted. The toe board is 18 gauge and the torque box is 14 gauge I believe.
Good luck!

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

BST'65

Post by BST'65 »

comethead wrote:Hey Ben the toe boards lay on top of the upper skin of the front torque boxes.
So cut easy and hopefully the torque box itself isn't rotted. The toe board is 18 gauge and the torque box is 14 gauge I believe.
Good luck!

Joe
Yeah that was the case on the other car the toe boards were bad but torque box was fine. So I'll be extra careful!

Thanks for the spec on the sheet metal! Are the floor pans 18 gauge to!? I was using 22 gauge :oops: No wonder it was a pain to get dialed in! :roll:

BST'65

Post by BST'65 »

Well dang the engine's practically done! :mrgreen:

Got the lifterS in, heads and intake on. Pushrods come in Monday and should get those in next weekend with the rest of the valvetrain. Now I can turn all my attention to the interior, suspension and steering. :lol:

Kind of sad torquing down the intake haha, realizing its over. Makes we want to start another one. Too much left to do on the car to try to start another engine build but, I am thinking of building a stroker or a big block next. Just for $&@# and giggles.

Few pics for ya'll cant wait to hear her purr.

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Purdy :roll: :P :lol: :lol: :lol: It does look nice but maybe you will have more fun driving it than building it, I know the building is fun.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

lookin good!!! :D
Johno

comethead

Post by comethead »

BST'65 wrote:
comethead wrote:Hey Ben the toe boards lay on top of the upper skin of the front torque boxes.
Good luck!

Joe
Yeah that was the case on the other car the toe boards were bad but torque box was fine. So I'll be extra careful!

Thanks for the spec on the sheet metal! Are the floor pans 18 gauge to!? I was using 22 gauge :oops: No wonder it was a pain to get dialed in! :roll:
Ben the engine is looking seeet!
Yeah the floors are 18ga as well.

Joe

BST'65

Post by BST'65 »

Quick update for ya'll its been a while.

First, a question. How many different size axle bearings and seals are there for the 8"? I had a hell of time trying to get the right bearings, everything I read said there were only two bearing sizes but no matter what axle bearings I ordered they were too small or big. Finally, took it to a local shop and he struggled for a while ultimately finding the right size on the shelf. Maybe I'm missing something or just being dumb haha :shock:

. . . Now here I am with the damn seals. I though I had the right size, went to slap them em and button up the rear end and they seem way to large. :evil: Any ideas??

Besides that I got the passenger side floor patch finished up. Also got to grinding the rest of the floor and coating it all with POR-15. Used a little of their "re-enforcing" mesh / fiberglass around the edges of my weld and also to cover up a few pinholes.

Now I gotta get to the driver side. After further grinding the only real bad part is the toe board and about a inch strip of the floor pan.

Other those spots the car is relatively rust free. In order to gain better access to the back of that toe board I decided it was time to pull that old I6 out. I'll get the floors patched up and start working on the clutch pedal and master cylinder.

Ready to pull . . .

Up and out . . .

Time to get this engine bay cleaned up and sprayed with some black hardly a thing in here. It sure is nice compared to modern day vehicles .

The I6 in all her glory . . . :lol: If anyone in socal needs one let me know, selling it cheap.

fair67

Post by fair67 »

BST'65 wrote:Quick update for ya'll its been a while.

First, a question. How many different size axle bearings and seals are there for the 8"? I had a hell of time trying to get the right bearings, everything I read said there were only two bearing sizes but no matter what axle bearings I ordered they were too small or big. Finally, took it to a local shop and he struggled for a while ultimately finding the right size on the shelf. Maybe I'm missing something or just being dumb haha :shock:

. . . Now here I am with the damn seals. I though I had the right size, went to slap them em and button up the rear end and they seem way to large. :evil: Any ideas??

Besides that I got the passenger side floor patch finished up. Also got to grinding the rest of the floor and coating it all with POR-15. Used a little of their "re-enforcing" mesh / fiberglass around the edges of my weld and also to cover up a few pinholes.

Now I gotta get to the driver side. After further grinding the only real bad part is the toe board and about a inch strip of the floor pan.

Other those spots the car is relatively rust free. In order to gain better access to the back of that toe board I decided it was time to pull that old I6 out. I'll get the floors patched up and start working on the clutch pedal and master cylinder.

Ready to pull . . .

Up and out . . .

Time to get this engine bay cleaned up and sprayed with some black hardly a thing in here. It sure is nice compared to modern day vehicles .

The I6 in all her glory . . . :lol: If anyone in socal needs one let me know, selling it cheap.

I had the same trouble with my rear end all the Axle seals were too big or too small. This one worked for me it will most likely for you too. Of course it is the most expensive one.
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NOS13598

comethead

Post by comethead »

I wouldn’t buy a $25 axle seal.
I just got my seals and bearings for my 8” from Rock Auto end everything fit right.
Here’s the seals they have
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/for ... +seal,2336

I got Timken bearings and National seals. I’ll post the part numbers I used. Not sure why Rock doesn’t show Timken and National under the 65 Falcon section. (By the way I never search for 65 Comet parts. Always 65 Mustang or Falcon. Chassis drive train suspension steering is the same so I keep it simple)

Joe

comethead

Post by comethead »

I used Timken RW207CCRA bearings and National 51322 seals.

Joe

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

The seals should be the same as the 9" small bearing ends. Ran into the same issue when I narrowed my 57 9", seems everyone assumes the big Ford ends. I'll try to dig up the PN# I used.

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

BST'65

Post by BST'65 »

Thanks for the suggestions and links to the seals! Have yet to get that taken care of :roll: , between work, kid and, duck season opening in SoCal progress has been slow. Here's a quick update for ya'll since the last post.

Got the transmission out and all the suspension/steering. Getting everything cleaned up to paint the engine bay. Pulled the steering box and column. Basically a whole lot of getting things cleaned up and ready for the new stuff.

Got the rust cutout of the driver side and made a few rough templates.

Kind of funny :lol: , I just assumed the horn didn't work because the wires were cut or the button was bad whatever it was. Didn't care to much about it or really think about it when driving the car around. Figured I'd just fix it when I got there. Messing around under the dash and I saw the below door bell ringer mounted. Gave it a press and what you know the horn works great HAHA. :mrgreen: Not sure how I missed it for almost a whole year but I did.

I'll keep on pluggin away and keep ya'll updated when I can. Oh and if anyone needs the trans out of this thing let me know letting it go cheap. :wink:

Thanks,

Ben

comethead

Post by comethead »

Nice work Ben!! I don’t need the trans but I’ll take that horn button :P

Joe

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Hehehe - x2 on the horn button. Working horns on these...seen a lot of “creative” options!!! :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)