1965 interior door panels?

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
BobatheFett84

1965 interior door panels?

Post by BobatheFett84 »

Does anyone have any advice for interior door panels? My car is basically done with the exception of the panels and I cant find any place that has them but one place on ebay and they want $500 for the set. Has anyone used these? Are they a good fit and reputable company? any help will be greatly appreciated. :D
He's No Good to me Dead!

ArkansasComet

Re: 1965 interior door panels?

Post by ArkansasComet »

I made my own door panels using 1/8" hardboard from Lowe's (or Home Depot) & wrapped it in vinyl from a fabric store, I used DAP contact cement to glue the fabric on & secured it with short staples on the back edges. I didn't have the original trim so I used a straight piece of stainless trim from my friend's type 3 VW & put it 3/4 of the way down on the panel. I then used black carpet (from Autozone) on the lower 1/4 of the panel below the trim. Unfortunately I don't own the car anymore & don't have any good pics., this is the only pic. I have (sorry for the poor quality, this was 13+ years ago!)

"Auto racing began 5 minutes after the second car was built." - Henry Ford

KB64

Post by KB64 »

Hey BobatheFett84 have you been to www.falconcometinteriors.com ? A tad pricey but it don't cost nothing to look. May be what you are looking for

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

I've also made my own out of hardboard and vinyl. Next time I'm going to use something that doesn't absorb water like the hardboard does. The first set rotted after about 10 years. The second set I primed and painted and added a plastic sheet between the door and the panel but I recently had them off and water has got into the hardboard and swelled it. They'll be fine for awhile though.
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

Kingspeedy2

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

When i have looked for info for making custom door panels and consoles,many of the sites talk about Using ABS panel.
When i think of ABS i think of hard black plumbing that is brittle.
Non the less if you decide to tackle the panels yourself ,do a little research you may find a suitable ABS board that wont absorb water but will take a staple.

ArkansasComet

Post by ArkansasComet »

That's good to know about the hardboard absorbing water, never thought about that & I didn't own my previous car long enough to have any problems. However I think the original panels would have the same issue, the ones I pulled out of my 64 Caliente had water damage.

ABS sounds like a good idea, I have a custom reptile terrarium a friend of mine made from sheets of ABS & it is somewhat flexible & strong, although I think it would crack if stapled.

I was thinking about making aluminum door panels like Roy did on his car, of course I'd love to copy everything on his car.

"Auto racing began 5 minutes after the second car was built." - Henry Ford

Loner

Post by Loner »

Check out the video Mike posted a few days ago in the Comet lounge on the Starliner. That guy made some cool panels out of aluminum.

Matt

BobatheFett84

Post by BobatheFett84 »

ended up building my own using fiber board and vinyl. luckily I still had the old ones so i could use the trim pieces. all in all the turned out great and only cost me around $60 in supplies and a hard days work.
He's No Good to me Dead!