Just looked at a Caliente convertible tonight

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
rustang

Just looked at a Caliente convertible tonight

Post by rustang »

It's a literal barn find, but not cherry. Been in storage since the late 70's, but prior to that has apparently seen some northern winters. So it's in a condition typical of a 1965 car that has seen 15 years of winter lol!

Actually, it's definitely restorable, but has had the front passenger floor patched, as well as the rear footwells. Unusually, the front part of the car is perfect...the battery tray is still there, and the shock towers, strut mounts, radiator support is like new. Body is straight and I couldn't find any bondo, but the lips around the rear wheelwells need repaired. Also the bottom 6" of the left rear quarter is shot...the right one is pretty good. Rear frame rails are in good shape.

So what should you look for on these cars, especially the convertibles? And what is available for body and floor repair panels? Also the convertible top will need replaced. The doors close fine except I noticed the drivers side is tighter at the top than the bottom. :?

Something strange about the floorpan is there is structure that goes underneath the driveshaft. Is this factory?

Car is a 289 2v auto.

lavron
Site Admin

Re: Just looked at a Caliente convertible tonight

Post by lavron »

rustang wrote:And what is available for body and floor repair panels?
Body not much, the floors are available, doors are the same as Falcons, as is the top I am pretty sure so most of that kind of stuff will be available, but then again I don't know much about convertibles.
rustang wrote: Also the bottom 6" of the left rear quarter is shot
I think you can get the lower rear quarters for a '65, or you could, they are just not the best, you can see that by checking some of the build threads on the forum.

Someone here will advise you just give it a day or two.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

That is convertible reinforcement underneath and it is factory.

SW
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

Groover

Post by Groover »

Repro floorpans will need to be altered to fit convertible. Verts have inner rockers which make the pans a little to wide unles you find somebody stamping pans specific for verts. Check the cowl area and torque boxes for rust. Once the weep holes get plugged, water gets inside and makes a home. If you can get it in a dark garage, look up under the dash while somebody shines a bright light into the cowl.

Good luck.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...