ELECTRIC COOLING FANS

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
thos25

ELECTRIC COOLING FANS

Post by thos25 »

Hey guys, I am thinking of going with an electric cooling fan on my 65 CYCLONE. Does anyone have any experience with these? If so could you share what is good and bad in areas such as reliability, ease of installation, cost and any other pertinent info. SUMMIT has a slew of different styles, costs and brands so it is somewhat confusing. Also, I might add that I only drive it to local shows during the SUMMER so I don't want to go overboard on price! Oh yeah, the car is NEVER raced or driven hard. It is a 289/4spd car.
THANKS TO ALL AND KIND REGARDS, TOM

redhotcomet

Re: ELECTRIC COOLING FANS

Post by redhotcomet »

I went the junkyard route years ago. I forget the exact model I stole the fan out of, but I think it was a 1986ish Chrysler Lebaron. I've used a couple different controllers with different temp sensors.. The first one I used had a probe on it that you stuck in between cooling fins on the radiator. It died after 10 or so years so I installed one with a sensor that screws into the manifold.

What kind of fan are you running now? The simplest and most reliable is a mechanical fan on the water pump. Followed by a thermostatic clutch fan. Electric fans can work well, but you better have a decent alternator to power it.
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"