1964 1/2 comet the shifter falls into reverse

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
johnnyf805

1964 1/2 comet the shifter falls into reverse

Post by johnnyf805 »

Hi My shifter will fall into reverse when my car is running is there a way to tighten it up, or do I have to replace the shifter column
Thanks for any help

Lip Ripper

Re: 1964 1/2 comet the shifter falls into reverse

Post by Lip Ripper »

I'm guessing the parking pawl in the tranny isn't totally engaging. If you roll it slightly forward does it click into park and stay there? And yes there is an adjustment on the linkage. I had a fresh restoration fall out of park and into reverse at the station. As my cam loped the car went backward. The door got into the coke machine out front before I could get to it. It pulled the door around and into my fender. I also sold a friend my 65 Cali. He pull's up to the liquor store, left it running while he went inside, when he came out it had jumped into reverse. It crossed the parking lot, down over the curb and was backed into the curb across the street just purring away. And it crossed the main drag in town, no harm or foul.

Footnote; this is why your parking brake should be functional.

Stacey
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

johnnyf805

Re: 1964 1/2 comet the shifter falls into reverse

Post by johnnyf805 »

I don't want that to happen to me, I do have a good e brake I do need to get a good shift handle for mine, can your recommend one for the 1964 404 Comet. Thanks