stock steering wheel size

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Kingspeedy2

stock steering wheel size

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

Can someone do me a favour and please measure the diameter and depth for the stock steering wheel.
My car came with a flat grant one on stock column and I want to start thinking of interior stuff like seat position and such as I am changing to buckets with ididit tilt so I will probably drop 1 inch off of the diameter It will be a resto mod so I will be looking for a more modern wheel with original styling ..I just need a baseline to start .
If you have a pic of your wheel and your set up that would be cool ,we could have a steering wheel thread

poboyjo65

Re: stock steering wheel size

Post by poboyjo65 »

stock is 16x6.mine is about 14.5. I took about 1.5 out of mine, of diameter. & made the ring a bit fatter. with ps & some steering mods it has more of a modern feel than it did. I added about 1.5 inches to my column &moved the shifter back about 6'' or more & moved the seat back about 3''. It all fits me now! :D

Last edited by poboyjo65 on Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johno

Kingspeedy2

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

you made a new ring for the stock one?
Do tell how you went about that,i like the beafier look and feel

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

It's the same ring. I cut it off of the 2 spokes, cut out about 5'' from the top then welded it back together. It wanted to egg shape when I pulled the ends together with ratchet straps so I put more straps from top to bottom to make it more round shaped to weld it. & after welding it was still out of round so I put it on a block of wood & hit it with a BFH. then I slipped it on the steering column & box which was off the car ,clamped it upright, used a dial indicator to see where the high spots were, & beat it into submission. here it is with the dial indicator set up, before I welded it back on the spokes. I had a little concaved groove on the spokes to hold it while I would check it, then I could just pop it off & beat it.
after all the welding & grinding I used PC-7 epoxy to fill in the gaps. because the s wheel was so ragged on the top front that I put epoxy all over that part. Then I sanded it down when it dried . Every coat of epoxy meant more sanding & it was getting better each one but it was getting old fast so I would get the big ugly knocked down then lay it down for a while, sometimes months!
here is a comparison pic;

One thing that led me to make it fatter was so I didnt have to sand out ,,,make the finger grooves. this pic I had about half of it fat & still has grooves on the other side. everytime I would try to make the grooves it would look like crap so I just filled them all in.

It was a tedious process that I did a little at a time which helped the monotony, but it was still a lot of sanding! I think Ratical made his smaller by using a donor ring from something more modern, which would be a lot easier to do.
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

DON'T KNOW WHY YOU 'D WANT TO MAKE ONE SMALLER OR LARGER,,,MINE ON MY 64 IS PERFECT ,JMO :roll:
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

popscomet wrote:DON'T KNOW WHY YOU 'D WANT TO MAKE ONE SMALLER OR LARGER,,,MINE ON MY 64 IS PERFECT ,JMO :roll:
dont know why you gotta holler! :lol: but there are a couple reasons , my hand was hitting the window when I turned the wheel & to give it a more modern feel. but the main reason; I WANTED TO!!! :lol:
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

poboyjo65 wrote:
popscomet wrote:DON'T KNOW WHY YOU 'D WANT TO MAKE ONE SMALLER OR LARGER,,,MINE ON MY 64 IS PERFECT ,JMO :roll:
dont know why you gotta holler! :lol: but there are a couple reasons , my hand was hitting the window when I turned the wheel & to give it a more modern feel. but the main reason; I WANTED TO!!! :lol:
if I don't holler..you won't pay attention :shock: :shock: but you gave the answer I expected :lol: :wink:
pop/glenda

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

That's the most radical mod' ive ever seen anyone do to a wheel. You did a good job.
Ron

Kingspeedy2

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

Yes ,i agree.that was a lot of work and a challenge ..great job thanks

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

I agree withRon and King. That steering wheel is above and beyond!

Lou

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Thanks guys. Like a woman knitting a sweater, I would do a little here & there,when I felt like it, as I rebuilt the car. so it wasn't too bad. Yes it was a challenge! but I have another challenge in mind: making a leather cover for it but in four separate sections, so the chrome bands still show. But I think I need to find help on the sewing part. :lol:
Johno