ALTERNATOR WIRING HARNESS

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
thos25

ALTERNATOR WIRING HARNESS

Post by thos25 »

Does anyone know if the 65/66 Mustang with gauges Alternator wiring harness will fit on a 65 COMET with a 289? If they are not compatible where can I get a harness for my 65 CYCLONE?
Thanks, TOM

comet guy

Re: ALTERNATOR WIRING HARNESS

Post by comet guy »

They are different . I was sent one for a 1965 mustang was not right.

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

The 1965 mustang had several different harnesses depending on cluster and heater. The best I can find is the harness for a 65 GT which would be for gauges but has a 3 speed heater. Would require the heater sw and its harness be swapped out to the 3 speed. thought there used to be a harness for cluster with gauges and a 2 speed heater. But can't find that combo now. Harnesses are not cheap though. The key here is the harness needs to be for 'gauges' not 'indicator lights' to simply plug into the cluster. Switching to a 3 spd heater blower needs a 3 spd dropping resistor module to be installed in the heater body and rewiring the blower feed. Not impossible.
Ron

thos25

Post by thos25 »

Hey guys, Thanks for your replies! I found a harness specific for the COMET at AUTOKRAFTERS and I sent for it. You are right they are not cheap. Anyway it arrived yesterday and the bag has a tag reading C5GY14305B which we all know is a valid COMET designation. The top cardboard on the package reads: 1966 FORD MUSTANG ALTENATOR FEED EIGHT CYLINDER WITH GUAGES. THIS HARNESS HAS NO LEAD FOR THE STATOR CONNECTION! . What gives?? This has been a headache! You think changing a simple wiring harness would not be complicated. Also, I called several reliable MUSTANG and FALCON aftermarket supply houses such as; Cal MUSTANG, NPD MAC'S etc. and they all said the two are not compatible. After that long rant/vent I really want to know why no STATOR lead!
As usual you guys are a real life line in these situations and I DO appreciate the timely and accurate help I have received over the years from you on this site!
If anyone can help I will be deeply in your debt!
KIND REGARDS, TOM

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Call Kris Eckhoff. his number 660 287 1129 . he has parted out about 10 comets this year alone ,selling parts on facebook & most likely has what you need.

& here is one from Melvins, but it may be like the one you just bought. I noticed the one for the falcon was about 25$ & this one is 38$ but who knows. it's like a box of chocolates! :D
http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll ... Z50001018a
Johno

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Excuse me guys but for some reason I thought you were looking for an underdash harness. I guess I didn't read.
If what i see on a typical wiring diagram there should be a wht/blk wire leaving the Sta term on the alt then passes through the middle pin on the 3 pin plug, then on to the S term on the reg. Is your harness missing the entire Sta wire. In looking at the wiring diagram for the 65 falcon it appears yours is the same as mine. Back when I built mine I just ordered an alt harness for a 65 mustang and it was exactly the same. And I do have the Sta wire in my harness. The falcon part number is C5DZ-14305 B, CJP WALT2D.
Can you just add the wire?
Ron

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

OL POP./,is gonna mention this and then shut up as it has nothing to do with a comet nor a stang....but think about the harness on my 66f100 ,,,it has a lite and the gauge In the dash for the alt,and the same for oil,lite and gauge...and it's factory...I have to pay close attention to where the wires go back on the back of the alt when I change one out ... as far as the oil,it ain't bad...it has a tee out of the block with the sending units for a lite and a gauge with the corresponding slip on clips...just thought I'd mention this headache if ever had to wire up from scratch :shock: :wink: thanks and good luck..pop
pop/glenda

thos25

Post by thos25 »

I'm BAAACCKK! I found out that the key to the problem I had concerning the missing STATOR wire on my new wiring harness lies in the instrument cluster. According to the tech support guy at Auto Krafters cars with "idiot lights" used the STATOR wire those with gauges did not. Hence, my 65 CYCLONE uses the 66 MUSTANG harness. I installed it, even with a bit of doubt, and WAH LAH it works perfectly!!. The early 65 MUSTANG and FALCON harnesses will not work due to their use of the above mentioned lights. Another one of Henry's "Better Ideas" that we are still trying to figure out. Anyway, this is the stuff that makes our hobby so interesting and fun!
I would like to thank everyone again for their input and great answers, suggestions etc.
KIND REGARDS TO ALL, TOM

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

COOL! :D
Johno