San Diego Chopped ‘64 Comet

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
RideAndShoot

Re: San Diego Chopped ‘64 Comet

Post by RideAndShoot »

SASSY wrote:Waiting on an update,,,, :D
Any longer and it will be a pic of the car finished at a show, at the pace you go!
Fred
Ha! I’m working 2 hours from home and it’s been too cold to work late in the alley, so no progress since the last post. My buddy got a new ride, but it’s that other brand, so I didn’t post that work. He got a rat-rodded out 38 Chevy truck, and I built a new dash and new center console for him. But no work on mine yet.
Chop everything, nothing is sacred.
Destroying the essence of motorcycles, one part at a time. <——— Cars now too I guess.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Kinda figgered you werent just sittin on it,,, :mrgreen:
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Boy has it been cold here. Got a chance to do a little bit last night. Helped my boss buy a new ride over the weekend too. 59 Fairlane. I got my wiper motor and linkage pulled up, wiper holes filled, and dashpad holes filled and smoothed.

Destroying the essence of motorcycles, one part at a time. <——— Cars now too I guess.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Lookin Good!!
Never rains in California, but boy they dont warn ya,,,, something like that,,lol
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

that's why you never leave home without a good coat of RAIN X on all glass and a new bottle in the clove compartment,and a clean cloth......pop
pop/glenda

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

I'm surprised that they allow wiper removal out there. I remember Roy calling it commifornia because of the regulations.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Lip Ripper wrote:I'm surprised that they allow wiper removal out there. I remember Roy calling it commifornia because of the regulations.
Ha! Commiefornia it is! I’ll just tell any curious officers that windshield wipers were a ‘factory option’ in 64, and therefore not required equipment. lol. You be surprised how often they line works on stuff.

And yes, Rain-X everything! Always.

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Pluggin away at it. Got the vent cut out and filled. This project would go a lot faster if I didn’t want every damn thing shaved and smoother. Lol! Included another shot of my ‘workspace’. It was windy today, so my welds weren’t as good as they could have been. And with no way to get under the cowl to stretch the metal back out, it’s gonna need more mud than anywhere else. Oh well.

66sevets

Post by 66sevets »

I like that you don't waist any time thinking you just jump in and do it!

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

66sevets wrote:I like that you don't waist any time thinking you just jump in and do it!

I sure do! I do actually plan out ahead what I’m gonna do, but I definitely don’t let myself get psyched out, I just dive in.

Question for you guys. Now that the cowl is basically sealed off, does anyone see and issue with spraying some insulating ‘great stuff’ foam inside there? I’d of course take off where the vents go through, but if it’s not useable anyways, why not cut down on some sound and reverb? I’d use the fire resistant expanding kind. I know it’s close cell too, so it wouldn’t hold any moisture either. Thoughts and opinions?

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

If you are going to have a heater you need to keep it open from the vent hats out to the side drain holes,that is where your heater pulls it's air from now that the cowl vents are gone. I have magnetic sign material over my cowl vents but the heater still works great pulling from those side drains. but you could fill the center of the cowl up from vent hat to vent hat.
Johno

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

OMG! You eliminated the crotch coolers!
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Lip Ripper wrote:OMG! You eliminated the crotch coolers!

Yup, they’re gone! Wing windows work well enough for me. I am in San Diego after all. Lol.

No, I didtched the heater too. All of that is gone. So I should be good foam filling it then, yeah? Any other drawbacks to doing that anyone can think of?

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Just be sure that the foam you use is the low expansion type. If you use the high expansion, it could bow the cowl slightly. If you did it after your body work, it could crack your filler. The high expansion type creates a lot of pressure as it expands and cures. If you use it around doors or windows in a house, it will bow the frames and lock them down so they're impossible to open. :roll:
Jim

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

No new work on the Comet the last week, as it’s been cold as hell and raining here. Yes, it does rain once in a blue moon. But my new bead roller came in finally. Went with the Mittler Bros because it’s American made. Here’s the roller and my test piece. Not too bad considering it’s the first time I’ve ever even touched a bead roller before.