San Diego Chopped ‘64 Comet

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
RideAndShoot

San Diego Chopped ‘64 Comet

Post by RideAndShoot »

I might as well start a thread about my car. I got it a few weeks ago and fairly new to custom cars. I plan on chopping it down a few inches, lowering it, and potentially bumping up to a SBF v8.

I got my Grant steel wheel(given to me by a buddy on there.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BauT1rRgwym/

My fender skirts came in, but the current tires rub, so I’ll need deeper dished rims.

Spent the last couple days removing the locks and door handles, and wiring it up for shaved handles. Just pop buttons inside too. Hooked it all up threw an alarm too, so they pop via a remote.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Baz8qJUg9uj/
Chop everything, nothing is sacred.
Destroying the essence of motorcycles, one part at a time. <——— Cars now too I guess.

RideAndShoot

Re: San Diego Chopped ‘64 Comet

Post by RideAndShoot »

Gonna start shaving the handles and filling body holes this weekend. Yesterday a buddy asked if I’d be able to do a heart shaped chain steering wheel for him. So I gave it a shot. Built a wooden jig with a groove for the chain and got this knocked out for him. Gonna weld all the links up more and make the backing plate later too.
Attachments
97DCD87E-171F-4310-8E2C-B4B695B558E0.jpeg
97DCD87E-171F-4310-8E2C-B4B695B558E0.jpeg (204.88 KiB) Viewed 4376 times
Destroying the essence of motorcycles, one part at a time. <——— Cars now too I guess.

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Spent today getting the passenger door shaved. It’s not perfect, but it’ll do. Thin coat of mud will fix what’s left. I’ll probably just continue down the passenger side for now.

Technical question for you motor guys. If I get a C4 trans with the 200ci bell housing and torque converter, will it use the same length driveshaft? Is it a direct replacement, or will I need a new kickdown, gear selector linkage or anything? Sorry, not really a motor/trans guy. The Merco-Matic trans is fine on the streets but on the freeway it leaves a lot to be desired. Thanks!

How do I resize/adjust pics too?

Edit: think I figured the pic thing out.
Last edited by RideAndShoot on Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

I dunno on the 6 stuff; Mike oughta be along & let ya know. :D You've gotta resize the pics prior to linking to them.
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Looks good! looks like you are deleting the trim too.
A C4 isn't going to help any in high gear or topend. high gear will be same ratio (1:1) as the 2 speed. the extra gear of the c4 would help in getting up to speed quicker, & be easier on the motor ,but topend would be same as now. You have mentioned possibly moving up to a v8 & if you plan to do that I would suggest just tuffing it out until then & save time ,trouble & money that could be spent on the V8. otherwise you'll need to find someone who has done this c4 swap to find out about the driveshaft.
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

RideAndShoot wrote:Technical question for you motor guys. If I get a C4 trans with the 200ci bell housing and torque converter, will it use the same length driveshaft?
I am going to ask instead of look back at your original post, is the motor a 170 or a 200? Not all bell housings will interchange, there is a small pattern that all 170s had, some (most) 200s have what is called a dual pattern and can use either the early small pattern like the 170 or the later big pattern like the later model 200, you just have to move the locating dowels to the appropriate set of holes, if I can find my post on here I took pictures of the differences.

I don't know much about automatics just keep swapping manual trans in my Comet (well moving up I hope) so far I have not had to change the driveshaft just the swap the snout out and conversion U-joints, so I might guess it would be similar with the auto swap.

If I am not mistaken you can adapt a AOD on to the 6, which would be my choice and taller rear gears, but that is just how I work and probably not the most sage advice. Most like to swap in a V8 but I am n to like most people :roll: it is an easier route to take however.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

This is the post I show the difference between to large and small pattern on a duel pattern 200 block.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058&start=375#p83153

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

lavron wrote:This is the post I show the difference between to large and small pattern on a duel pattern 200 block.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058&start=375#p83153

See Ya,
Mike

Awesome, thanks for that and the info above!

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Got some more work done on the Comet today. Got all the trim holes on the passenger side finished up. It looks pretty good, especially from a few big steps back. Ha. All the work I do on it, is in my alleyway. I don’t have a driveway, and my
garage is too small for a car, much less a car and my tools/equipment. So there ya have it!

Kingspeedy2

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

That is hot Rodding at its finest right there, Perhaps pants for welding LOL maybe advised ..You wouldn't want to catch a spark up the leg

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Tight working alright - doesn’t keep good work from being done though, looks good man. Now get a couple fender covers! :lol: :lol: :lol:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Kingspeedy2 wrote:That is hot Rodding at its finest right there, Perhaps pants for welding LOL maybe advised ..You wouldn't want to catch a spark up the leg
Thanks! Basketball shorts and tennis shoes have been my work and garage uniform for 15 years now. Lol. My buddies give me :oops: all the time. I wear jeans when I ride though. At least I was wearing shoes today, sometimes it’s just flip flops(even when welding).

Rocket989 wrote:Tight working alright - doesn’t keep good work from being done though, looks good man. Now get a couple fender covers! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks! I’ll add them to my Amazon list. Not too shabby for only 5 weeks out of neck fusion surgery. Ha!

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

GREAT WORK,,,,your set up reminds me of my much younger days,OL POP has layed on cardboard on snow and ice to change AT in my 55 ford,worked under a tree limb more times then I can count......where there is a will ...there is a way !!.......thank you and good luck !! OL POP :D
pop/glenda

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

popscomet wrote:GREAT WORK,,,,your set up reminds me of my much younger days,OL POP has layed on cardboard on snow and ice to change AT in my 55 ford,worked under a tree limb more times then I can count......where there is a will ...there is a way !!.......thank you and good luck !! OL POP :D

Thanks Pop, luckily there’s no snow in sunny San Diego!

Painted my front bumper to see how I like it. Could be darker, but I think it looks good. Also got my safety cable hooked up for my door in case my battery dies or solenoid fails. Started on shaving the driver side too.

Clip of the safety cable.
https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/EmptySel ... allowaycow

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Got the driver’s side all shaved! Stoked on how it starting to look. As soon as the lowering blocks come in, I’ll drop the back end and do the Shelby drop on the front. May cut out a coil too so it sits level. Gonna paint the rear bumper and start shaviing the trunk trim holes.