New Front end... need to lower the back end

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
kyudizky

New Front end... need to lower the back end

Post by kyudizky »

I just finished totally redoing my front suspension. Shelby drop, SST Coilover system, sway bar, Unisteer manual R&P, etc.... The previous owner had the car up pretty high, coil springs had spacers.

So now after the new front end, it sits much lower, causing me to have to much rake back to front. What do you folks suggest as the means of lowering the rear? Lowering blocks, de-arched springs (if i can find them for a '64), other ideas???

Suggestions for and against would greatly be appreciated.

The pics show the car before and after.

Appreciate the help,
Attachments
After
After
Comet After.jpg (154 KiB) Viewed 3582 times
Before
Before
Comet Before.JPG (77.27 KiB) Viewed 3582 times

Rocket989

Re: New Front end... need to lower the back end

Post by Rocket989 »

42-319 is the industry part number for Ranchero/ Falcon wagon springs that fit our Comets...they have less arch & are a bit stiffer as a bonus:

OEM Comet Replacement Leafs
Industry Part# 66-237
Capacity: 710
Rate: 72
Arch: 10-3/4

Falcon Wagon/ Ranchero Leafs
Industry Part# 42-319
Capacity: 880
Rate: 120
Arch: 7-5/8"

I got mine from McVeighs. Having trouble with posting pics at the moment but will get one up.
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Actually I prefer the front end of my car sitting slightly lower than yours. The rear end on yours could come down a few inches easily. Why don’t you remove your springs and take them to a spring shop that will either modify them or build you a new set. I have had a few sets of springs custom made over the years, working with a local shop is best online vendors have no interest in thinking outside the box. I just had a pair of leaves made with special eyes, custom arch and relocated center pin.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

kyudizky

Post by kyudizky »

Rocket,appreciate it, those leafs sound like they will do the trick.

The arch definitely seams as though it would lower the back end. With the spring rate being higher, i would imagine the Comet leafs probably flex good bit more with the weight of the car? Any idea on how much almost 3" difference in arch would be realized once under the car?

Do the shackles, eye bushings, etc... for the original comet springs work on the Falcon leafs? Or would i need to get other parts/make other modifications for my car to accept the Falcon leafs?

A/FX... I'll have to do some searching in the Dallas area for a custom shop that can make leafs, I can't say that I have run across any. That would e great if I could.

Thanks,

kyudizky

Post by kyudizky »

Is this the McVeigh's you are referring too?

http://www.mcveighstruckspring.com/sales.htm

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Yep, ask for Tom IIRC.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

kyudizky wrote:With the spring rate being higher, i would imagine the Comet leafs probably flex good bit more with the weight of the car? Any idea on how much almost 3" difference in arch would be realized once under the car?
Hard to say. You've got 30% less arch in the Falcon springs, but 30% less rate in the Comet springs. The Falcon springs won't flatten as much with the weight of the car as the Comet springs, so you'll get less than the full 3" of drop. I'd guess you might get as much as 1 1/2" - 2" drop in the rear. You'll probably feel every acorn and painted line you run over, too, with those high rate springs. :lol:
Jim

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Agreed with Jim...between 1.5-2” I’d say. Here’s a pic of mine with those springs...running 215x55x16 tires & Koni STR.T shocks:

Soft riding the car probably isn’t but both the front & rears are “mild” compared to even the Mustang GT stuff of the era...so not bad to me! :lol:

And Jim (A/FX) is right-on also. If you have a good local spring shop they can do about anything. We do here but they’re pricey & the 42-319’s fit the bill for me.

kyudizky

Post by kyudizky »

I finally got around to ordering the Falcon springs #42-319 from McVieghs.

When I try to install them, the pin in the center of the spring does not alight to the axel correctly. I am doing something wrong?

Thanks!
Kyle

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Hey Kyle - Do you have a pic? What’s not lining up with the center pin?

kyudizky

Post by kyudizky »

The pin is not lining up with the hole/slot in the rear end housing.

Here is a pic.

Thank,
Attachments
Comet Rear Spring 2.jpg
Comet Rear Spring 2.jpg (148.7 KiB) Viewed 3376 times

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Hmm...a couple ideas...

How are you attempting to get the new springs in? And if you can get a (fairly close) measurement from center of front spring eye to center of center pin, I"ll check mine.

Do you know if it's the original rear? I think so but can't quite tell from the pic. The Comets used an "iso-clamp" setup that was basically a rubber sandwich with flat rubber pieces between a couple steel plates (to provide a smoother ride than the Falcon's...). This isn't related to your problem, but the spring perches were different. They used a larger hole since the center pin was wrapped in rubber.

Folks say the u-bolts are what hold a rear in place but I wouldn't want that much room around the center pin. A pretty easy fix is a nut (can drill out ID to match pin OD) or a thick washer(s) welded inside the big hole of the perch.

ETA: I have a theory...can you also measure center of front and rear eyes to the center of center pin on one of your old springs?

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Is it possible the leafs are directional? To accommodate for the shackle and maybe to prevent wrap-up? I don’t really know, just throwing an idea out there. Measure from eye to pin in both directions. If the pin is not dead center, spin the springs around!
Chop everything, nothing is sacred.
Destroying the essence of motorcycles, one part at a time. <——— Cars now too I guess.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

They’ll only go on one way. IIIRC it’s 22” front and 33” back (of the center pin, measured along the spring to center of each eye.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

What am I missing? I cant tell from that pic what the problem is? do you mean from side to side? if so you may need a ratchet strap to pull both leafs together or a bottle jack & a 2x4 to push them apart.

if it is from front to back you place the axle on the leaf, put the ubolts on take the bottom plate off the shock & put it on the ubolts, after the ubolts are tight then put on the shocks. you gotta man handle it, it don't want to go !!!! show it who is boss!!!!! :lol: is the drive shaft hooked up? if so un do it so it isnt fighting you.

& like rocket said the centering pin needs to fit tight in both the axle pad on top of the leafs & the bottom shock plate needs to fit the pin tight too.
Johno