New Front end... need to lower the back end

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
poboyjo65

Re: New Front end... need to lower the back end

Post by poboyjo65 »

OK I just read you have Falcon springs? They are different!! falcons have a different wheel base,rear frames are different,different leaf springs.
Johno

kyudizky

Post by kyudizky »

Poboy, they are Falcon wagon springs. They were what was recommended by others, who are running them on their '64. I so I believe they fit.... or at least should.

Thanks guys. I'll get measurements as soon as I can a post back.

Appreciate the help, very much so.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Johno - it looks like the rear needs to come forward - the pin is about an 1-1/2” forward of the hole in the perch. The Falcon wagon/Ranchero springs are the same length and pin location as std. Comet. They’re just stiffer with less arch. I used ‘em on mine.

I agree - if you haven’t, take the driveshaft and any shock plates/ u-bolts off & shove that hog (after you measure to make sure the pin is in the right place!).

BTW - If you’re using the original shock plates, those holes will be too big also if not using the Comet iso-clamp setup. ‘65-‘66 ‘Stang plates can be used instead.
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Back in the late 60's,I traded for a sharp 55 ford crown vic,,noticed right off the bat,by driving and looking down the side thru the outside driver's mirrior the car was not tracking straight,,,so me and my dad jacked both rear tires up til they just cleared the ground,,I loosen the U bolts on the side that appeared to have the spring pad not square on the spring tie bolt..then I put a bottle jack under axle tube and barely jacked it up til the pad cleared the tie bolt,,by leaving the other side tight,the pressure straighten itself perfect..let the bottle jack down ,pad went right on tie bolt,tighten it all back up,,,,15 yrs later when I sold it,it was still perfect in line....for what ever reason PO had it loose at one time and just missed sitting the pad on tie bolt....thanks and good luck...pop
pop/glenda

kyudizky

Post by kyudizky »

This pic shows the old spring and the new spring, and shows the offset of the pin. the New spring is shorter. Measured the new spring and its closer to 22.5" front and 33.5" back... of the center pin. We can get the spring in but it brings the but it moves he wheel about an inch closer to the from of the wheel well, giving me very little tire clearance. I have about 1.25" of clearance even before the weight of the car. If the wheel moves an inch forward with the new spring, I will have no clearance.

Any suggestions?
Attachments
Comet Rear Spring length.jpg
Comet Rear Spring length.jpg (251.38 KiB) Viewed 3393 times

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

The rear should move back with the weight on the car (why the shackles will be up against the frame rails until you put weight on it). Are you using the stock shackles?

If they measure 1/2” to long either side, I’d call McVeigh’s & ask ‘em about it!!

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

My car had the wrong springs on it when I first got it. I figured they were from a falcon. had the bigger rear eyes like those & were short,,too short. they bumped the frame ,shackle all laid forward.drove me crazy. I glued a piece of rubber on the frame to quiet it some. my parts car had the right leafsprings so I used those.they made the shackle stand up right,& plenty old so they sit low. the kyb gas-a-just shocks are plenty stiff , I wouldn't want it any stiffer.

Rocket & I have both mentioned or asked if you are using the stock axle leaf pads & shock mount plates. you really need to address that if you hadn't already. here is a pic of a stock plate on the left & one with a big nut welded in to make the hole smaller on the right. this is what holds you rearend centered & aligned. the leaf pad on the axle is the same way. you could have bushings made up or weld nuts in like I did. the bottom line is > fill the gap.

Johno

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Kyle - Are you trying to install with driveshaft attached? If so, I’d pull it, wrestle that hog into place, snug the u-bolts (don’t torque ‘em without weight of the car on ‘em) and put that hog on the ground!! :D :lol:

If it doesn’t sit right, I’d call McVeighs. If you have the original shocks plates and perches you can get the plates and isolater/insulator bushings (I think Energy Suspension even sells ‘em in urethane), but if your motor makes any power they’re a liability for axle wrap.

Shucks, I’ve got a full set of that stuff off a Cougar I’ll send ya for cost of shipping. You’d just need new isolator bushings.

kyudizky

Post by kyudizky »

Thanks gentlemen.

Was able to get the springs in, even without disconnecting the drive shaft, its just moved the rear forward to close to the fender well and have no clearance.
I still have the iso clamps, just didn't have then in the picture so that you could see the pin location better. They will be re-installed (motor is mild 347ci). Not entirely sure what the previous owner did, but it appears the shackles and the shock mount plates are original.

As you can see in the picture, the new and old springs are not the same length. The old springs measure 23.5" front and 33" back. the new spring is 22.5 and 33.5.

I guess I'll call McVeighs and see if he thinks I just got a spring that a little longer than its supposed to be.

Poboy, agree with you and will make sure the pin whole is size is corrected.... just have to get my springs to fit correctly first without moving the wheels forward.

Rocket, I appreciate the offer on the iso-pads, awfully nice of you!

Thanks again guys!

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

NP man. It’s a little tough measuring the springs & old vs. new doesn’t help either....since you measure along the spring curve(s).

I’d be curious to see what McVeighs says...it’s possible the center pin holes were drilled in the wrong place.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

sounds like the pin is 1'' more forward than before. I dont think I would drive it like that. driveshaft needs to slide all way in & back out about 1''.it needs this 1'' freeplay for suspension travel. you probably just used up that 1'' so it will be too tight.

since you are using the isoclamps the pins should be alright. I think we were concerned because of the pics.
Johno

kyudizky

Post by kyudizky »

So I got in touch with Tom @ McVeighs. He checked another pair of springs from the same batch that the pair he sent me came from and sure enough he the same measurement that I did on the pin location, not what its supposed to be!

He's gonna have a new pair in the mail on Monday!. Will report once I get them and get'em on.

Appreciate the help. Anyone needing springs, I highly recommend Tom @ McVeighs, great to work with and good guy.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Cool man!! Too bad they/you got some from a bad batch...stinks to have to redo but at least you have an answer!! :D :D :lol:

Jimmy Joe San Diego

Post by Jimmy Joe San Diego »

I gotta tell ya, I cant get past how good it looks with the trim blacked out on the side, I am having mine polished because the anodizing was a mess, now I wish I had painted them great looking car

kyudizky

Post by kyudizky »

Ya, thanks again for the help diagnosing the issue. My retired father is my free mechanic, so not too bad having to do it twice...but I sure am keeping him busy! Can't thank him enough.

Thanks Jimmy Joe. the trim was that way when I bought the car. It is actually a raw plastic material with a texture, and not painted. It does break up the look nicely. Appreciate it.

Can't wait to get it back on the road and drive it with the new SoT front end and R&P steering!