Need help on installing a windshield

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
lilolddude

Need help on installing a windshield

Post by lilolddude »

I need to install a new windshield on my 65' Comet. I put the rubber seal on and the bottom trim. I also put the rope in the crease to install the window in an easier manner. My question is I know there are 5 large clips on the top of the window ledge and the 2 end holes for the top trim. Are there any other clips used to install the windshield? I have smaller clips that I bought, but don't see where they might go. Any help would be appreciated. This is my 1st post. This is my first car building from nothing. I am learning a lot on You Tube, but can't find this. Thank You.

poboyjo65

Re: Need help on installing a windshield

Post by poboyjo65 »

hearing from someone who has done one recently will be cool for me too. I've had a new windsheild , seal,lower trim & rope all loaded & ready for nearly a year but hate to stop driving it long enough since I have rust repair too. I remember on a truck with a similar seal we used dish washing liquid on the rope & rubber. I'm sure Lou or someone will know about it all & chime in.
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

poboyjo65 wrote: I'm sure Lou or someone will know about it all & chime in.
Hopefully with pictures, one day mine will have to come out because I need a new seal so I would like to see it done.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Kingspeedy2

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

just the 5 clips you mentioned,try to post a pic of the other 2 mystery clips.

lilolddude

Post by lilolddude »

Thank you. The other 2 aren't clips, they are screws that screw into the holes at the end of the molding. NOW the other question. How many smaller clips go on the rear window? I got the rubber seal and trim on without any clips so far. Someone states that I need 12 small clips.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Welcome aboard, lilolddude! I'm sure we have a veteran on here who's done this and will teach us all how it's done, but it ain't me. :roll: I'm faced with doing it, though, because the PO installed the front and rear windshields without the trim, and I understand the window and trim have to go in at the same time, so I have to pull them out in order to reinstall with the trim. :x How about some pics of your 65? You can upload them by clicking on the Upload Tab below the Post a Reply window.
Jim

Kingspeedy2

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

On the 65 HT the trim gets tucked into a grouve in the rear window rubber so there are no clips.
I think front and rear window install is one of those jobs i am going to hire out.
As it will be fresh paint.

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

Following. I also need to replace my windshield and seal and the rear window seal. I was going to try and hire someone to do it, if I could find someone that is.
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

lavron wrote:
poboyjo65 wrote: I'm sure Lou or someone will know about it all & chime in.
Hopefully with pictures, one day mine will have to come out because I need a new seal so I would like to see it done.

See Ya,
Mike
Sorry guys, haven't done mine yet. Know the trim that goes into the rubber seal needs to be put in before installing. Pretty sure the seal goes on the glass and then install it all together but not absolutely sure. I do know dish soap water mix helps!

I have used rope in the past also have used 10ga wire that had good insulation on it, though with the wire I continually checked to makes sure I didn't cut thru the insulation, if it looked like it was cutting thru I repositioned the wire. Having a helper is great.

Last one I did was in a 57 fairlane, took two of us about a hour. Getting it centered before installing it was big! We marked the center of the opening the center of the glass and center of the seal. Then lined it all up before installing it.

Not sure if any of this helps but, probably not doing mine till spring time.

I think the only clips are the ones across the top of windshield for the upper chrome piece.

Lou

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Hey guys have done rear many times, I have never used the rope deal but to be fair I have only worked with the old seal so it knew where it wanted to be.
I put the trim and glass in the rubber, set the assembly in the lower groove and from the inside work my way around the seal with a cheap flat screwdriver that has the end bent over 90 or so degrees.
The front I do similar, lower piece of trim and glass in seal, lay lower edge into groove and work seal in with screwdriver.
Top piece is the only part that has clips, don't remember how many. There are holes for the clips to mount with screws and the end holes are for screws to roof. Side panels next mount with screws and finish with the screw mounted upper corner pieces.
MAKE SURE WINDOW IS CENTERED IN HOLE!
USE SEALENT IN RUBBER GROVES AND SCREW HOLES!
I didn't now I get soaked in the rain so it has to come apart again!!!!
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

lilolddude

Post by lilolddude »

Thank you the info. I have rubber and trim on the window and ready to install...just need someone to help me. Too heavy for the wife. Also, did you use any clips for the chrome on the rear molding? My molding just pushed right into the rubber seal nice and tight without any clips.

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

lilolddude wrote:Thank you the info. I have rubber and trim on the window and ready to install...just need someone to help me. Too heavy for the wife. Also, did you use any clips for the chrome on the rear molding? My molding just pushed right into the rubber seal nice and tight without any clips.
As Kingspeedy2 said there are no clips on the rear, molding just goes into the seal before you install.

Lou

lilolddude

Post by lilolddude »

Thank you.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

lilolddude wrote:Thank you the info. I have rubber and trim on the window and ready to install...just need someone to help me. Too heavy for the wife. Also, did you use any clips for the chrome on the rear molding? My molding just pushed right into the rubber seal nice and tight without any clips.
Ya, probably a good idea to get some help,,,
IMG2051_zpsb6024918.jpg
IMG2051_zpsb6024918.jpg (122.01 KiB) Viewed 3021 times
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Kingspeedy2

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

I will say it for everyone ..Ohhhh Nooooo X$@#^(_*&^