unknown device in engine compartment

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
navychief

unknown device in engine compartment

Post by navychief »

My 65 caliente has something mounted in engine compartment on pass side just above the heater motor , it has two rubber vacuum lines attached ,and also a plug in wire assay . I never seen anything like this before ,I don't want to sound stupid but I don't know what is is , I have owned the car for a few months and still learning .I went from a 38 Ford to a 40 ford coupe and now a 65 comet caliente which is great.thanks for your help

barrys65cyclone

Re: unknown device in engine compartment

Post by barrys65cyclone »

Intermittent Wiper Control.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

as mentioned that is a vacuum governor for the intermittent wipers. if you have your intermittent wipers set at a slow rate,& open the throttle, as when passing a car the governor senses that vacuum drop & it speeds up the wipers until you slow down & vacuum is back to normal & then the wiper speed will resume to the speed that you had it set.
Back when these cars came out there were not too many interstates, so mostly 2 lane driving was normal, so lots of passing going on back then.
Johno

navychief

Post by navychief »

Thanks, I was looking through an old owners manual ,It looks like a complex unit,I'm sure not many comets came with it .