64 Comet Build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
popscomet

Re: 64 Comet Build

Post by popscomet »

popscomet wrote:
lavron wrote:Are you going to put any kind of steering column in or just a shaft with a steering wheel at the top?

I do hope to see this Comet at PF for sure.

See Ya,
Mike
NO column,MIKE,, just a shaft.....just like a dirt track car....this has always been a race car build from the get go..it is a drag car.....not a street car...so signal lights don't come into the picture,,,altho we plan on it having workable head lights and tail lights...it has to have at least one tail light to race our local track on Saturday night and that is what the comet started out to be for over 23 yrs ago....the biggest reason we are trying to have it ready for PF in june is 'cause it is different...you'll know it is a race car only when you 1st see it....it may not be 100% complete at PF ,as we are running out of time,but it will move under it's own power and will dang sure wake the DEAD !! :shock: :lol:
almost forgot !! the engine and tranny and headers are installed,,,now that the shifter is in it ,,the drivers seat needs just a tad of adjusting to sit right with the shifter,,,
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

didn't get much done tonight,,CHASE,the grt grd son is here for a couple of days and nights,and he stays out in the shop as much as he can,,piddleing with tools and bolts and nuts ,,so we mostly sit back and watch him..by the time he went back in the house to GLENDA,it was already after 9,so we just shut it down and came inside and spent more time with him.....the rusty relic comet takes back seat to this boy......but we did manage to get drivers seat mount re-designed to a better fit,,,,thanks.....good luck to all...........POP
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

SON called ,said he was going to burn some late lights tonight,at work so we took tonight off...will double down 'morrow ..depending on that grt grd son,( his grd son)..entertaining him comes 1st.. :wink: :D :wink: ....pop
pop/glenda

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Right on! Gimme some engine specs...reading parts lists for SBF’s is like a lullaby for me!! I’m already stoked with the N heads...gotta hear the rest!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Rocket989 wrote:Right on! Gimme some engine specs...reading parts lists for SBF’s is like a lullaby for me!! I’m already stoked with the N heads...gotta hear the rest!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
IN all honesty,,it ain't much,,,it came off the dirt track 10yrs ago and was put away on an engine stand in the back of DWAYNE'S shop and ever now and then when he thought of it,he would spin it over with a brk over.....it was built right to the rules of the track,,it has a 480 solid lift cam,N heads,,a race worked over 500 2bbl carb,stealth intake..prepped block roller rockers,msd ign...like I said before to mike,,we have a bigger cam and a high dollar race 4bbl race only....but we know how it performed in it's present set up ,so because of the time slot we are in ,it will 1st be seen just like it is shown in the pic's at PF....bigger ain't always better,,,you have to have that working combo,,and it performed so well ,,,,,we are if time allows,,thinking about putting 2 race prepped 500 before PF,,,we have it,it's just all about that time slot....thanks for your interest.....good luck pop
pop/glenda

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

I think the 2V is part of the neat factor! I’m po’d I likely won’t make it to PF this year!! I’m set on driving the Comet but it’s not ready for a road trip like that. A buddy said I could use his transport trailer but that’s not the same as gettin’ there under its own power! We’ll get ‘er done!

I can’t wait for you guys to motor it down the road!! :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Rocket989 wrote:I think the 2V is part of the neat factor! I’m po’d I likely won’t make it to PF this year!! I’m set on driving the Comet but it’s not ready for a road trip like that. A buddy said I could use his transport trailer but that’s not the same as gettin’ there under its own power! We’ll get ‘er done!

I can’t wait for you guys to motor it down the road!! :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
THE rusty relic will be hauled on a trailer,,,ain't no way it will be driven to PF.....and all the times I've taken my red one ,it too was hauled,,,,so get your buddies tr and come on,,,several are hauled on trailers...but even if your comet don't make it to PF....you load up and bring yourself....pop
pop/glenda

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Rocket989 wrote:I’m po’d I likely won’t make it to PF this year!! I’m set on driving the Comet but it’s not ready for a road trip like that. A buddy said I could use his transport trailer but that’s not the same as gettin’ there under its own power!
Don't let that stop you! We've read so much about it, we want to see it in person. Mine's not road-trip worthy, either, but I trailered it there year before last, and plan to again this year. I would have had it there last year, but the trailer suspension failed on me and I almost lost the whole rig on the expressway about 5 miles from home. :shock: I limped it home, checked my underwear, dropped the trailer with the car on it, and came bob-tailed. :x The trailer suspension has been fixed, so I plan to try it again this year. I probably won't drive it out of the parking lot, but at least it'll be there to bolster the ranks. :D
Jim

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

My Comet has yet to make it to PF even on a trailer, but if it ever gets there, I intend to come under it's own power. But until that happens I will be there because the Comets are only a small part of the reason to go.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Rocket989 wrote:I’m po’d I likely won’t make it to PF this year!! I’m set on driving the Comet but it’s not ready for a road trip like that. A buddy said I could use his transport trailer but that’s not the same as gettin’ there under its own power!
Don't let that stop you! We've read so much about it, we want to see it in person. Mine's not road-trip worthy, either, but I trailered it there year before last, and plan to again this year. I would have had it there last year, but the trailer suspension failed on me and I almost lost the whole rig on the expressway about 5 miles from home. :shock: I limped it home, checked my underwear, dropped the trailer with the car on it, and came bob-tailed. :x The trailer suspension has been fixed, so I plan to try it again this year. I probably won't drive it out of the parking lot, but at least it'll be there to bolster the ranks. :D
Jim
:shock: :shock: :shock: I wouldn’t have been checking - they woulda NEEDED changing!!!!! :lol: :mrgreen:

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Bringing a comet to the gathering on a trailer ain't nothing ,,every time mine has been there I hauled it.....I have driven mine on 2 power tours,,,but at our age now,,that AC in my truck is hard to beat,,,,most that show up came on a trailer,,,,,,,some are open and some are inclosed...it's more about the handshake then the comet anyway,,,,jmo..
pop/glenda

frdpwr

Post by frdpwr »

She's finally setting on all 4's.
Stance 2.jpg
Stance 2.jpg (32.29 KiB) Viewed 2743 times
Engine Compartment 2.jpg
Engine Compartment 2.jpg (50.21 KiB) Viewed 2743 times

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Hurry! June is approaching quickly :P :P

Great to see the progress.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Didn't notice the first time I looked at it but nice job on the front tubes to frame. y'all are clicking along!! :D
Johno

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

I like all of it! :lol: :lol: I don’t remember are the rear brakes disc also? Asking since that looks like an early ‘90’s Ranger master cylinder (1-inch bore—what I should have used).