Hood

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
poboyjo65

Re: Hood

Post by poboyjo65 »

The pic is of the actual incident where his hood tried to blow apart ,if you look at the front lip of the hood you see it is down in the center (where the latch is) & curved up on the sides. he said the top & bottom tried to separate from each other on that run at the track. it was after this that he put on hoodpins, so no pins to see in that pic. here is a close-up;

Yes at the outer edges is where most people put them. I think the easiest place would be in the rad support, right next to the hood adjuster/bumper. although I made brackets for mine to bolt on front of the support so the pins would be just in front of the rubber bumpers because I have the other kind of hood with wider scoops so I had less room at the side of the scoops .
fair67 wrote: I do not really see an easy way to use my original hood latch with this hood
There should be a metal plate embedded in the hood for the original latch. So you may have to drill that yourself? it was mentioned earlier in this thread that the metal pc in the crites hood that holds the lock prong was at the wrong angle . Mine was in the wrong location,,,too far back so I made a plate to screw to the hood under the safety latch & attached the lock prong to it so I could have more adjustment it to where I needed it. hopefully yours can be drilled in the right location & not need anything else.
Last edited by poboyjo65 on Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Johno

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Having the hood separate at speed is something that the Crites hood may have happen where as the original A/FX race hoods did not have that issue. The Plaza Glas hoods that were used back when the race cars were new were only single layer, the inner plenum where the air is ducted to the carbs was a separate piece, the hood was not smooth on the underside. Being single layer race glass it was very light weight. The hood I have for my ‘64 was made from a mold that was taken from one of the 21 original A/FX cars. There was no provision for the factory latch so hood pins had to be installed. Also the original race hood had the indent for the hood ornament, Crites deleted that feature.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

fair67

Post by fair67 »

fairlaniac wrote:To remove springs open the hood, take a handful of 2-1/2" - 3" nails. Put about 5 or 6 nails between the spring coils and then lower the hood slightly. The coils will pinch the nails and not allow them to coil bind. The springs should all but fall out. Reach in and grab them.
Doug
I just started to install the hood for my daughters 65 Comet I didnt have any nails so I used screws and you were right the springs just pretty much fell out but I needed a screw in every gap.
Thanks Doug

fair67

Post by fair67 »

I finally got the hood on the car and I am wondering what primer to use on it. I would like to go with a semi flat black primer or sealer. However flat black would be ok too. I plan on painting the car over winter but for now semi flat on the hood would be great. Can anyone tell me the best primer to use on fiberglass.
Thanks

fair67

Post by fair67 »

Yes at the outer edges is where most people put them. I think the easiest place would be in the rad support, right next to the hood adjuster/bumper. although I made brackets for mine to bolt on front of the support so the pins would be just in front of the rubber bumpers because I have the other kind of hood with wider scoops so I had less room at the side of the scoops .

Hello
After looking at this good I am thinking of making a mounting bracket for the hood pins just in front of the original hood bumpers. This hood does not allow alot of room for hood pins beside the hood bumpers on the rad support. I thought of welding an extensipn out in front of the hood bumpers to the radiator support. How did you do yours.
Thank You

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I used a piece of angle iron bolted to the rad support, with all holes a little big it gives me some side to side & front to back adjustment.
Johno

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

fair67 wrote:I finally got the hood on the car and I am wondering what primer to use on it. I would like to go with a semi flat black primer or sealer. However flat black would be ok too. I plan on painting the car over winter but for now semi flat on the hood would be great. Can anyone tell me the best primer to use on fiberglass.
Thanks
Epoxy primer, if you use black it will come out as a more satin finish than flat tho.

Lou

fair67

Post by fair67 »

Lou's Comet wrote:
fair67 wrote:I finally got the hood on the car and I am wondering what primer to use on it. I would like to go with a semi flat black primer or sealer. However flat black would be ok too. I plan on painting the car over winter but for now semi flat on the hood would be great. Can anyone tell me the best primer to use on fiberglass.
Thanks
Epoxy primer, if you use black it will come out as a more satin finish than flat tho.

Lou
Thanks for the reply I will go with Epoxy.

fair67

Post by fair67 »

poboyjo65 wrote:I used a piece of angle iron bolted to the rad support, with all holes a little big it gives me some side to side & front to back adjustment.
I am thinking of adding tabs like you did probably in about the same spot. Do you happen to have a pic of what it looks like with the hood closed.
Thanks

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Quite a few pics of my hood on this page;
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4363&start=690
Though the top of my hood is the other kind & my hoodpins are another kind :lol: , you might get an idea of how it will do on yours since the bottoms are the same.
you might want to go a little more outward to get off the ridge on the bottom ,,,or fill in part of the cavity like I did with kitty hair or something to keep cracks from starting. If you use regular hoodpins you wont need a big hole as I did.
Johno

fair67

Post by fair67 »

poboyjo65 wrote:Quite a few pics of my hood on this page;
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4363&start=690
Though the top of my hood is the other kind & my hoodpins are another kind :lol: , you might get an idea of how it will do on yours since the bottoms are the same.
you might want to go a little more outward to get off the ridge on the bottom ,,,or fill in part of the cavity like I did with kitty hair or something to keep cracks from starting. If you use regular hoodpins you wont need a big hole as I did.

Thanks for the help I appreciate it.

fair67

Post by fair67 »

What did you guys use to cut the air cleaner hole in the bottom of the hood.
Thanks

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

You're welcome. Best I recall I used a variable speed jig saw with a shortened blade.
Johno

fair67

Post by fair67 »

We got the hole cut and it seems to fit so far.

fair67

Post by fair67 »

We cleaned and painted the firewall and fender edges. So now we can paint the hood.