Forward gears in automatic trans went away

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
billybob

Forward gears in automatic trans went away

Post by billybob »

Hello. Short distance from home and all forward gears went away. Only have reverse. I am not even sure what transmission I have. I am pretty sure it is the original one which I think is a C4? The linkage looks to be in tact. Just got it home and I need to collar a grand kid to move it through the gears while I am under it. Any Idea's of what happened? Sorry. It's a 65 Mercury Comet Caliente, 289, two barrel. Thanks.

hotrodbrando

Re: Forward gears in automatic trans went away

Post by hotrodbrando »

Forward clutch failure... :cry:

Obviously eliminating the linkage stuff..

If just reverse and no forward at all, that's 99% what it is. And yes, it should be a C4. If you are poking around under it, it should have an aluminum bellhousing that can be detached.

Unless it's something on the outside of the trans (linkage is about it) the transmission has got to come out...

I wish you luck on it!!
Brandon
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible (project state)
1953 Mercury Gasser "Quicksilver"
1946 Ford Sedan Coupe
1941 Ford Business Coupe
1949 F1 Pickup (another project!)

billybob

Post by billybob »

Thanks Brandon. Gives me a place to start.

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

What brandon sez. If it isn't a linkage problem. You can do it! Get the book.There is a couple of moderately tough snap rings to deal with and you will need a clutch spring compressor (I made mine with a 2X6,some all thread and some metal I had laying around).Otherwise,no special tools needed. This kit is the best around for the money
http://www.northernautoparts.com/part/tk-26008
Need to clean all the debris out of the valve body and I recommend a Transgo shift kit. The converter is full of debris and can't be cleaned.Summit has a cheap house brand converter that works good. Rinse out all cooler lines.They sell the flush in a can at the parts store. Use vaseline as assembly lube.
Seems easy to me because I do it all the time. Go slow,double check everything,you'll be fine!

comethead

Post by comethead »

Verify fluid level
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

hotrodbrando

Post by hotrodbrando »

vicegrip wrote:What brandon sez. If it isn't a linkage problem. You can do it! Get the book.There is a couple of moderately tough snap rings to deal with and you will need a clutch spring compressor (I made mine with a 2X6,some all thread and some metal I had laying around).Otherwise,no special tools needed. This kit is the best around for the money
http://www.northernautoparts.com/part/tk-26008
Need to clean all the debris out of the valve body and I recommend a Transgo shift kit. The converter is full of debris and can't be cleaned.Summit has a cheap house brand converter that works good. Rinse out all cooler lines.They sell the flush in a can at the parts store. Use vaseline as assembly lube.
Seems easy to me because I do it all the time. Go slow,double check everything,you'll be fine!
Hey Vicegrip, so that kit comes with everything you need? (Assuming nothing is junk inside trans). I have to pull engine and trans to do "restoration" so I figure I would redo the trans while it was out. That kit is a lot less expensive than what I was looking at...

Thanks!!!
1946 Ford Sedan Coupe
1941 Ford Business Coupe

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

Yeah,their kits come with everything you need...and common wear bushings that aren't in other kits. Clutches are OEM type brand name good quality. Been buying them for yrs for all models. Never been disappointed. If you end up needing some hard parts,let me know.Have a good supplier of those as well.

billybob

Post by billybob »

I was getting ready to take my Comet to transmission shop for a rebuild. For the hell of it I disconnected the vacuum line to the modulator and started it up and could feel it go into the gears. I have not tried it on the road. If I plug the vacuum line and try it on the road would this cause the modulator diaphragm to rupture and leak fluid.? If I am able to shift it manually could I drive it maybe 5 miles to the transmission shop and save a tow on my AAA? Could a bad vacuum modulator be the cause of the forward gears not working? Thank you.

hotrodbrando

Post by hotrodbrando »

it shouldn't matter. The modulator tells it when to shift depending on engine vacuum and the governor. If you don't want to get stranded, put the rear up on jack stands and and manually shift it at low RPM. Just don't goose it! Based on what you said earlier, I think something internal is failing/failed. Good luck!
1946 Ford Sedan Coupe
1941 Ford Business Coupe