thoughts on a 99 mustang engine in a 64 comet?

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
mercbill

thoughts on a 99 mustang engine in a 64 comet?

Post by mercbill »

Any thoughts on putting a 99 302 roller engine in a 64 comet? I think the car I'm looking at has one with a carb on it. thanks

Rocket989

Re: thoughts on a 99 mustang engine in a 64 comet?

Post by Rocket989 »

The only 302’s still around in ‘99 were Explorers/Mountaineers. It can be a pretty easy swap...what trans are you planning on using?

Things that typically need to be changed:
-Oil pan & pick-up to front sump
-Maybe front engine dress & water pump & balancer depending on how you set things up.
-Radiator with inlet/outlet in right place (again, depending on how you set things up).
-Bolt-on ball stud if using manual trans with z-bar linkage
-Comet/Falcon exhaust manifolds or headers. Note that if the engine you’re looking at is from an Explorer it’ll have GT40 or GT40P heads depending on year. I don’t know of any Comet/Falcon headers that will work with the “P” heads.
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

mercbill

Post by mercbill »

The car already has the engine/transmission in it. The seller says it came from a 99 mustang with a mild cam. I wasn't sure if the 99's had a carb or fuel injection from the factory. It has a carb now. The transmission is listed as a tci sizzler with some sort of shift kit installed. Seller says it'a s rebuilt C4. Rear end is a 8 inch with 3.55 gears. It seems like this is a good combo.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

‘95 was the last year for a 302 in a ‘Stang. Not many carb pass cars/light trucks after ‘86 & all ‘Stangs after ‘85 we’re fuel injected. Shucks, if it’s in the car & runs good that’s several less things to do! :lol:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I guess a plus if you wanted to fuel inject it at some point there should be parts to do so that would be fairly easy to source.

I take Rocket's word on the years on the Mustang V8s because I sure wouldn't know :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058