Wilwood disc brake kit

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
JBL

Wilwood disc brake kit

Post by JBL »

I have just installed a wilwood disc brake kit on my 64 comet and the front brakes drag do i need a new master cylinder for the front brakes now being disc instead of drum any help is much appreciated....Thanks.

Lou's Comet

Re: Wilwood disc brake kit

Post by Lou's Comet »

JBL wrote:I have just installed a wilwood disc brake kit on my 64 comet and the front brakes drag do i need a new master cylinder for the front brakes now being disc instead of drum any help is much appreciated....Thanks.
You probably will, Check to see if your master cylinder has residual valves built into it for drum brakes. If it does then you will need a master for disc/drum.

To check to see if your master has residual valve built in disconnect the line for your front brakes from the master, and use a paper clip or thin drill bit to insert into the master cyl hole for front brake line, if it is open and bit goes in pretty far then no residual valve, if bit doesn't go in then you have residual valves built into your master. Read some where that some have successfully removed the valve from the master but have never done it my self.

The residual valve will produce drag on disc brakes.

Edit.....disregard the part about testing for the residual, only works on 67/68 newer. The master you have has the residual valve built into the bore,(assuming you have the original single reserve master) you will need a new master :(

http://www.chtopping.com/str395/str395.html

Lou

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

In addition to the correct type/ bore master cylinder you will also need a proportioning valve plumbed in the system. Your front discs could over power the rear brakes and the tires depending on the surface contact patch of the tires. You need to regulate the amount of braking each end does or you will lock up the rears before the front or vise-versa.
The front brakes are designed to do most of the braking but you need the rear to balance the motion. If the rear brakes lock up first you may tend to swap ends. (Spin)
There is quite a bit that has been written about this subject, I prefer articles instead of forum posts.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

JBL

Post by JBL »

Awesome thanks guys.