E-Brake

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
postie

E-Brake

Post by postie »

When I purchased my 1964 convertible the front e-brake cable was broken. I have purchased a new piece. The length is different than other body styles. The broken end of the cable under the car was just wrapped a few times around the adjustment piece to connect it to the rear cable. I cannot find anything on line that shows me what piece was used stock to connect the front and rear cable. Can anyone tell me how they were connected? Thanks.

Jims65cyclone

Re: E-Brake

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Sounds like you may be missing the equalizer lever, rod, yoke or a combination. See if this helps. You can see the rest of the shop manual from this link, also.
http://falconfaq.dyndns.org/display1.ph ... Page=2-003
Jim

postie

Post by postie »

Thanks for the feedback Jim. I have the shop manual but it is really hard to see what pieces are actually involved in this connection point. The equalizer rod is there but some other pieces are defiantly missing

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Maybe this piece?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-Mustang-F ... Pe&vxp=mtr
I put one on my hardtop but I'm not sure it is the same for a vert.
here are some of the other pieces;
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=1 ... acat=10073
Johno

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Attached is a photo that might help you figure out what you are missing. The set up is very simple. You may be able to substitute early Mustang parts if you cannot locate Comet parts.
Jim

‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

postie

Post by postie »

I was able to get under a '64 2 dr hardtop today to compare. I am missing the equalizer lever and return spring. I have an idea how it is mounted on a hardtop but the convertible is different. The front cable is actually longer for the convertible than for the other models because of the extra support put in on the frame to stiffen it. I am hoping someone out there with a convertible would be able to take a picture to give me an idea how it is all mounted and where to. I have been trying to find the lever specific for the Comet/Falcon but no luck. I will try looking in to see if the Mustang unit would work or can be adapted some how.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I think this is it. the piece that goes under the drive shaft has the lever attached;

hopefully someone with a vert will post up a pic of it all in place.
Johno

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

At the bottom of page ,,,one for sale
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15063
Johno

postie

Post by postie »

It's all starting to be a little clearer on how this works thanks to that photo and ad. It's seems all I might need now is the lever. I have been looking for Comet listed ones but no luck. One from same vintage Mustang may work so I might order up one of those. It appears that the plate needs to come off in order to mount the lever with a pin. One issue with that though. I don't know if you can see in the photo but some previous owner has welded the exhaust to the plate
Attachments
2018-04-11 18.18.39.jpg
2018-04-11 18.18.39.jpg (85.57 KiB) Viewed 3290 times

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

welded exhaust to that plate was PREV owner's quick fix to a rattle :shock: .....if not for P owners..fixing up these old cars may be alittle easier :? :lol: .......POP
pop/glenda

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

popscomet wrote:welded exhaust to that plate was PREV owner's quick fix to a rattle :shock: .....if not for P owners..fixing up these old cars may be alittle easier :? :lol: .......POP
Not that everything I do is 100% everytime but I couldn’t agree more!!!!! :lol: :shock: :roll: :lol: :mrgreen:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

popscomet wrote:welded exhaust to that plate was PREV owner's quick fix to a rattle
Might also explain why the e-brake lever and pin are missing. :x
Jim

postie

Post by postie »

I finally have a clear picture on how the ebrake assembly is mounted on the convertible. My issue now. On my car the exhaust pipes have been routed between the body and the mounting plate. I think one reason this was done is that the car has been lowered somewhat and lower profile tires mounted. There is no way the lever is going to fit in there. Because of this and the fact I cannot find the stock lever I am ordering one for a Mustang of similar vintage to see if it will work or be modified to work on my car.
Attachments
IMG_Comet3.jpg
IMG_Comet3.jpg (103.71 KiB) Viewed 3237 times

postie

Post by postie »

I have finally got around to mounting the e-brake assembly. The Mustang lever had to be re-drilled and bent a bit to fit. I now have a parking brake.
Attachments
Resampled_2018-05-26_15-31-46_737.jpg
Resampled_2018-05-26_15-31-46_737.jpg (23.32 KiB) Viewed 3188 times

kellycj

Post by kellycj »

What did you use for a front cable? The convertible cable is longer than the hardtop ±63" vs. ±51". Looks like the Falcon convertible cable is the right length, but at the $70+ mark, I'm looking at options for my '65.