1964 Comet 2 door headliner Help to buy

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
johnnyf805

1964 Comet 2 door headliner Help to buy

Post by johnnyf805 »

Can anyone recommend a good place to buy headliner and window seals. i have to install the window moldings is there a trick to do this?
Thanks for any help.

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Re: 1964 Comet 2 door headliner Help to buy

Post by A/FX »

2dr sedan or 2dr hardtop? If it’s a hardtop it may have a cardboard headliner or a conventional fabric version with bows.
There are conversion kits to replace the cardboard with fabric.
You can purchase rubber products from a number of vendors, I recommend Steele Rubber or Dennis Carpenter, you may pay more but they will fit, cheap parts are just that- cheap.
Specify which window seals you plan to replace.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

johnnyf805

Post by johnnyf805 »

My car has the post, would the be the hard top? The front and rear window seals for the headliner and they are old. I was told they have to come out. How do you put the chrome in the window seals, is there a trick to putting them in. Thanks for your help

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

johnnyf805 wrote:My car has the post, would the be the hard top?
No that is a sedan, if you have frames around your doors and a non-movable frame around the rear window it is a sedan, if you have no division between between the front and rear side windows when they are rolled down it is a hardtop.
johnnyf805 wrote:The front and rear window seals for the headliner and they are old. I was told they have to come out.
The headliner tucks under them, they are probably cracked and dried out anyway so it is a good idea to change them anyway, I haven't done mine yet but that is how it is done.
johnnyf805 wrote:How do you put the chrome in the window seals, is there a trick to putting them in.
Again I haven't done mine yet so someone with more knowledge than me can answer that. On the windshield the top and sides can go in later, the bottom has to be placed in the rubber before putting the windshield in, all the rear trim goes in before you put the rear window in, can't give tips omniscience's that I only know you can remove the front trim (except the bottom) without removing the windshield, of course mine cracked the rubber off all the way around when I did that because it was so old and brittle :roll:

Someone with more knowledge will help us both out here, I am sure :wink: :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

This is JL's Comet, it is a hardtop;

This is a sedan (ignore the rear wheel openings, this is a PhotoShop doctored picture);

Hope these help.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

johnnyf805

Post by johnnyf805 »

Thanks, I have my head liner and front and rear windows seals on the way. so the rear window trim moldings go on first then put the rear window in. The front window put the window in first and in stall the moldings. The stainless molding are hard to work with when I getting them off. Thank you for helping

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

johnnyf805 wrote:Thanks, I have my head liner and front and rear windows seals on the way. so the rear window trim moldings go on first then put the rear window in.

>>> The front window put the window in first and in stall the moldings.<<< NO! The stainless molding are hard to work with when I getting them off. Thank you for helping
No ! you have to put the bottom piece of molding in the seal on the window before you put it on. & be sure it is centered perfectly ,measure & mark it.
Johno

johnnyf805

Post by johnnyf805 »

Ok, so I will put the bottom chrome in the seal and make sure it is centered. the sides and top chrome goes in after the window is in and should I use a 1/4 inch rope to pull it in. Thanks for you help.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

johnnyf805 wrote:Ok, so I will put the bottom chrome in the seal and make sure it is centered. the sides and top chrome goes in after the window is in and should I use a 1/4 inch rope to pull it in. Thanks for you help.
Right! another tip is use dish washing liquid. some use it mixed with water but we used it straight out of the bottle. put it in the groove of the seal on top of the rope. it will act like an oil & help keep from tearing the rubber as the rope pulls the flap of the seal inside the car.
Johno