Cyclone/Caliente Differences ?

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
rhtopdown

Cyclone/Caliente Differences ?

Post by rhtopdown »

Can anyone tell me the differences in a 64 Cyclone and Caliente, and will the side body trim of a Caliente fit the same on a Cyclone? Thanks

SASSY

Re: Cyclone/Caliente Differences ?

Post by SASSY »

You would have to drill about 50 holes on each side of your Cyclone to mount Caliente trim but yes it would fit.
The value of the Cyclone would probably suffer though,,,.
I do understand wanting to have the trim, to me the car looks way better with the Caliente trim.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

When the Cyclone was introduced in the mid 1964 model year it was a trim only model of the Comet line. Mechanically it was the same as the Caliente, which could be ordered with the same 210hp/ 4 barrel/ single exhaust engine with either a C4 or a BW T10 four speed. ( later cars got the top loader)
The trim differences on the exterior were limited to the sides of the car in that the Cyclone had much less trim. (So that meant less holes in the body) where the Caliente had trim along the side midway up and emblems that said Comet on the quarter panels and Caliente on the lower part of the front fenders, the Cyclone shared only the Comet letters. The Cyclone had stainless steel wheel arch trim and a unique stainless rocker panel trim, the front fenders had a rectangular Cyclone emblem and a black checker flag mounted in the area behind the front wheel. (‘64 used the black flag, ‘65 had the red flag) There were also trim differences on the interior but that is another subject.
If you had a Caliente and wanted to install Cyclone trim you would have to fill a huge number of holes in the body. Also Cyclone trim is very difficult to find.
If you had a Cyclone and wanted to install Caliente trim I would ask you what drug you were on.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone (owned for 50 years)
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I think what they are saying is the Cyclone is the more desirable/valuable of the all Comets. And that said all trim from any 64 Comet will fit any other 64 Comet if you want to drill all the holes or remove them as the case may be.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

As for being desirable yes the Cyclone was top of the line trim for ‘64 but they sold more Caliente’s that year. The reason for the Cyclone was to compete with the GTO, the GranSport, etc.
But like I mentioned before the drive trains in both cars were the same. On another note, all the ‘64 factory A/FX and B/FX cars were Caliente’s except the station wagons.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”