Break down when in storage

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
vicegrip

Break down when in storage

Post by vicegrip »

I don't know how this happens...drove the car into the shed last November,everything good,drove it out today,ign switch stays on with key off and the annual sinking of the fuel sender float. Couple questions...pretty good selection of switches out there. Any recommendations? I see there are plastic replacement fuel floats. Seems like a better idea since this is the third brass float to sink. One is solid,the other is hollow. On one hand,the solid float has to be heavier,on the other,hollow and leak go together for me. any thoughts??

vicegrip

Re: Break down when in storage

Post by vicegrip »

One problem solved. It ain't the switch. Solenoid is always hot on the I term. Much easier to replace!

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Nitrophyl floats (assuming that’s what they are) won’t leak but have a more finite lifespan...though sounds like it’d be a better option given the bad experiences with the brass floats. Are they all the same brand/vendor?
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Sending-U ... 1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mercury-g ... 1438.l9372

I think I'll go with the all hollow deal. Maybe not have to do it again. You get in the car,start it up,gas gauge reads 1/8...Oh crap!!! Must have forgot to fill it last fall. Sneak to the gas station because you're a gambling man by nature,takes 4.5 gallons. Now you have a full tank to deal with. Probably never happened to anyone else.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

That looks like the better option to me!!!
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

Almost disaster!! Got the hollow plastic float,used my handy electric fuel pump to get most of the gas out of the tank. Clamped the rubber hose to the motor,pulled it off the sender...gas shot out of the tube like a rocket,directly on my trouble light. Swatted it out from under the car immediately and fortunately the bulb didn't pop. If it would have popped,it probably would have burned up me,the Comet,garage,and probably the house.
Lessons learned... Never use an incandescent light when messing with gas. Always remove the GAS CAP! Although the level of fuel was well below the sender hole.residual pressure in the tank with the anti surge cap on pushed the gas out of the tube. Should have known better and been more careful. Got lucky this time.

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Whew :shock: sounds like you quickly got everything taken care of, lesson learned.

All the time I have been working on cars, etc. I still do things that are bone headed from time to time, I was working on my Jeep transmission once and had the front tires up on ramps, didn't block the rear tires and I shifted it into neutral with a wrench while trying to take the shifter cable loose and the Jeep immediately decided to roll backward. The front tire was right next to my chest and I was on a creeper so I hung onto the bottom of the Jeep and rolled along with it, I think I was able to shift it back into gear while all this was happening. Needless to say I hopped out from under there a bit shaken but no worse for wear (good thing the Jeep is lifted and has big tires :roll: ) I pulled it back up on the ramps and blocked the rear tires before I went back under and finished the job.

I like to say I do everything safe but obviously I let things lapse from time to time, so far I have been fortunate :roll: Now at least we all can learn from your mistake and take precautions.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058