Comet running hot

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
MBJ

Comet running hot

Post by MBJ »

Hello All

I posted in the welcome forum with a couple pics

I have an issue with my 1964 Caliente Running Hot.

Here is what I have:

289 - Auto - bored out to 310
Stock Radiator - as far as I know
Water Pump - unknown original or not
Thermostat Removed
Upgraded Flex Fan
Rad Flushed multiple times
10 lb Rad cap
No Puke Jar

Car overheats consistently, Idle or running semi hard. Overflow runs after 30 mins of run time

I have flushed the system from the heater core back and there is no blockage.

I am unsure if this would be a Radiator issue or a water pump issue? Is there a way to test the water pump? I always thought they worked or didn't...

I am looking for some experience here..... I am fine throwing money at good parts, but I would like it to be money well spent!

Does one jump to the Aluminium Rad or will this meet the requirement? - https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 4563&jsn=2

This car is almost perfect in my eyes with exception of the over heat.

Thanks Again for your help

Mike

Rocket989

Re: Comet running hot

Post by Rocket989 »

An .060 over 289 (max overbore really) is a little over 297 cubes...was it rebuilt with a 302 crank/rods??

Have you verified temps with a good mechanical gauge??

As long as the engine & water pump are sound I think the following would help:
-180-degree thermostat
-16-lb. cap
-Verify your rad is clean enough & in good order or grab a Champion 2-row aluminum deal off eBay for $150 bucks
-5 or 6-blade fan pretty close to the rad
-Shroud...even the little steel ‘Stang shroud can help. If you use an aftermarket aluminum rad you’ll need one size up brackets (e.g. 3-row brackets for 2-row alum rad)

You can do stuff like clutch fan & better shroud, electric stuff, etc. but the above is a decent recipe. The rads were SMALL in our cars and need all the help they can get IMO.

Looked in the intro thread...Nice ‘64 BTW!! The Black/Red combo is what my heap was originally! :lol:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

MBJ

Post by MBJ »

Thanks for the reply Rocket!

I am not totally sure about the bore size. Just going off of old stories.....My Dad had everything done professionally back in the 90's and then the Comet sat for a long period of time unfortunately.

Between my brother and I we are trying to figure out what we actually have under the hood.

I will certainly attempt a number of your suggestions. Mechanical Guage and 16lb cap. (currently it is a 10)

I will purchase a new rad as well. I just need to sort out the best bang for the buck. $150.00 US turns into $500.00 Canadian after shipping, duties, and Tax after TAX haha

Thanks Again!

Mike

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Happy to help man. I guess shopping eBay.ca gives the same result? Stinks about the extra taxes, etc.

Ford still sells thermostats for small block Fords under their Motorcraft brand. Engines can actually run hotter without one since the coolant is not in the engine long enough to soak up the heat.

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

No, we are not subject to their taxes when purchasing from Canucks. The shipping is more, that's all. Our snowbird neighbors are from up in the Tundra. They get the (fill in the blank) taxed out of them. Like a case of Bud, almost fifty bucks. They do have the same passion/car disease as we do though. A part of it really. "Windsor" for instance.

Stacey
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

comethead

Post by comethead »

You may consider an Edelbrock high flow water pump and a coolant filter as well for your new radiator. Old engines tend to shed small rust chunks that end up in the radiator.
Make sure your timing is right and the carb isn’t lean.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

MBJ

Post by MBJ »

Thanks Guys

Replaced the Cap and Thermostat this morning and it has made a big difference. There is still a bit of overflow after a good run out on the highway.

I will hopefully get the gauges installed tonight so I will have a better idea of what is going on.

My guess is a new rad will be on it way sooner than later.

I will keep you posted

Thanks Again

Mike

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

MBJ wrote:Thanks Guys
Replaced the Cap and Thermostat this morning and it has made a big difference. There is still a bit of overflow after a good run out on the highway.
Mike
There will always be a bit of overflow, that's why people run puke tanks. it gives the coolant a place to go when it expands from heat & gets pushed out. but if the puke tank is proper it will suck back in the rad when it cools. you can make a puke tank from any thing,it just needs the overflow hose from rad top to go to nearly the bottom of puke tank so it can draw coolant back in the rad.
Johno

MBJ

Post by MBJ »

Thanks Again everyone

I replaced the Rad today. Brought temps down to a happier place!

So to help the next guy. I completed this:

180 thermostat
5 Blade Flex Fan 3/4" off Rad
16lb Rad Cap
New Radiator 3 row copper

Dad put a big rear end in the Comet so at 60mph I am at 3400 rpm. I am sure this is not helping with the heating issues..... I am thinking for where I live and what I wish to do with the car, a rear end swap might be in order. The car is a 3 speed auto

It sat happy at 190 cruising for 30 mins. hopped up to 210 pulling a big hill. Popped up to 220 after shutdown. Outside temp is 88 Fahrenheit.

I feel that the temp issue is in control enough to drive it safely without damaging it.

I have an issue with the car stalling after being hot when put in reverse/drive or if I max out the steering.

Works great at first start up. but issues arise at the first stop. Vacuum issue? I have been reading through the threads just can't seem to sort out the best starting point...

If you think I should start a new thread for this please let me know.

Here are a couple better pics outside in the shade!

Thanks again for your help!

Mike
Attachments
IMG_May272018at120856PM.jpg
IMG_May272018at120856PM.jpg (241.1 KiB) Viewed 3636 times
IMG_May272018at120742PM.jpg
IMG_May272018at120742PM.jpg (251.5 KiB) Viewed 3636 times

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Boy it looks straight!
Are those BC plates,,,
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

MBJ

Post by MBJ »

Hey Fred

Yup! I am in Summerland BC. I would come visit but I am not sure she can take those passes yet!

Mike

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Mike, that is a sharp looking 64. Your dad did a great job. And I'm sure he'd be proud knowing he left it in good hands. Enjoy the heck out of it! :wink: 8)
Jim

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Like the first time you stop & shut it down after driving for awhile?? You crank it back up & it wants to die when you go to back out of parking spot or drive off?? I doubt it’s a vacuum leak if it only happens hot.

I could ask a lot of questions but a couple pics or your engine compartment & a close-up or two of the carb would likely help more. :D

I agree 3400-rpm is too high (for me) for regular cruising, especially @ only 60-mph. Sounds like 3.80’ish gears. A 3.00 or 3.25 would definitely help there! :lol: :lol: It’s normal to see temps go up 10-15 degrees after shutdown. Not so much when cruising. Assuming everything is in proper order, your not going to get much more help than a 60-mph breeze through the rad. It’s just your pushing up on the mechanical limits of the current cooling system.

In this case I think swapping gears will get you a two for one. :mrgreen:

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Hey Mike, are you going to the Beach Cruise in Penticton?
We are going, towing our boler out on 6 over the Monashee.
Will be driving through Summerland on our way.
Staying at a rv park in Oliver by a lake.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

MBJ

Post by MBJ »

Hi Rocket

Yes after the first time driving. Exactly what you said. Reverse out off a parking spot and it will die. This will continue for the rest of the day at each stop. Drive or Reverse??

Idle set at 800 idle currently. I had it set higher (1100) but it just hit harder into gear and stalled also.

The car sat for a number of years, it was started up a few times a year during that time though. A carb cleaning would likely be a good place to start. I am trying to sort out if it sounds like Fuel and air or possibly a sensor of some form that I don't know about. Someone suggested a pvc valve. I am not even sure if I have one........ Much to learn here :shock:

I have attached a couple pictures. You are correct pictures will help you more then my knowledge at this point haha! I am hoping that will change soon and I am sure it will as I continue to turn the wrenches on her. :D

I truly appreciate the help!

Fred, I might be out for the beach cruise. I work out of town all summer long so my summer cruising schedule is terrible. My friend is trying to get me out to the Osoyoos Show next weekend. I will likely be there, not sure about the comet right know...

Thanks again everyone for your interest and assistance

Mike
Attachments
Front eng w air cleaner.jpg
Front eng w air cleaner.jpg (250.64 KiB) Viewed 3602 times
driver side eng.jpg
driver side eng.jpg (240.77 KiB) Viewed 3602 times
Pass Eng.jpg
Pass Eng.jpg (212.17 KiB) Viewed 3602 times
top carb.jpg
top carb.jpg (213.83 KiB) Viewed 3602 times