One Wire Alternator

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
gmsnowball

One Wire Alternator

Post by gmsnowball »

My 64 202 had a Ford alternator with an external regulator that the PO converted from a generator. I want to install a one wire alternator. The PO cut most of the wires coming from the alternator to the regulator and only had one wire on the regulator. I want to install a one wire alternator by connecting a 6-8 gauge wire from the alternator to the battery with a maxi fuse in line of course and STILL use the ammeter? I think the current will flow from the alternator to the battery to the starter solenoid to the ammeter and ignition switch, fuse block for lights etc and then where, back to the battery???? Does it matter if the wire from the ammeter on the negative side runs back to the battery? I tried numerous google searches to try to find how to install a one wire but none mentioned the ammeter. I did find a post from Roy saying it could be done but didn't mention how. A diagram of a one wire with an ammeter would help a lot. I am at a stall right now.

Gary
Oklahoma Somewhere
Just Outside the Neutral Zone
64 Comet Calentie Convertible

lavron
Site Admin

Re: One Wire Alternator

Post by lavron »

I wish I could remember, I have done several one wires using GM alternators (one is on my Comet right now) but I can't really remember exactly how I did it, I removed the regulator and wired some of the wires together but I never ran any new wires and my ammeter has always worked fine.

If no one can answer this I can go out and see what I did and we can figure it out.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

gmsnowball

Post by gmsnowball »

If the black and yellow wire is still connected to the ammeter it did run to the regulator. If you can find out where it terminates that would be a big help. I thinking it has to be in the circuit somehow. I don't see how it could not be connected to something. Thanks

Gary
Oklahoma Somewhere

gmsnowball

Post by gmsnowball »

Found an old post from Roy from July 2014 where someone with a 64 202 had the same issue I have. The black and yellow wire runs back to the battery or solenoid. I have already installed everything and just need to wrap up a few more issues and the 202 will be back on the road after a several year hiatus.

My wife wants to scotch pad the exterior to knock off the oxidation and reveal the patina and then she wants me to shoot a couple coats of satin clear on it. I have no idea why she wants to rat rod it but I think she will tire of it in a year or two then I can finish the body work and shoot some color and clear on it, finish the interior and stuff my SBF with a 5 speed, 9 inch rear and discs all the way around lower it a few inches and call it quits.

Next up, either the Ranchero or my 41 Chevy. I have neglected both far too long. Thanks for your help.

Gary
Oklahoma Somewhere

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

gmsnowball wrote:My 64 202 had a Ford alternator with an external regulator that the PO converted from a generator. I want to install a one wire alternator. The PO cut most of the wires coming from the alternator to the regulator and only had one wire on the regulator. I want to install a one wire alternator by connecting a 6-8 gauge wire from the alternator to the battery with a maxi fuse in line of course and STILL use the ammeter? I think the current will flow from the alternator to the battery to the starter solenoid to the ammeter and ignition switch, fuse block for lights etc and then where, back to the battery???? Does it matter if the wire from the ammeter on the negative side runs back to the battery? I tried numerous google searches to try to find how to install a one wire but none mentioned the ammeter. I did find a post from Roy saying it could be done but didn't mention how. A diagram of a one wire with an ammeter would help a lot. I am at a stall right now.

Just wire the + from the alternator to the solenoid where the black and yellow wire is connected and then ground the alternator GOOD. Your black and yellow wire already goes thru your amp meter pick up. Then remove the regulator and all its wires. The new alternator has it's own regulator built in. The new alternator just adds 14 volts and current when needed and keeps the battery charged.
tomb's 65