Rear trim with checker pattern

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
luc3ch

Rear trim with checker pattern

Post by luc3ch »

The rear trim on my 64 Caliente is pretty worn. The black paint that is in the recessed rectangle pattern is mostly faded away.

I cannot picture myself painting every one of those checkerboard black spaces with a little brush. Not with my 53 year old eyes and hands especially.

What's the trick to restoring those? I am thinking maybe there's a way to paint the whole pattern black and somehow wipe the paint off the raised part of the edges, leaving a neat pattern?

Anybody know what I'm talking about here? Several of you must have done this already.
1964 Comet Caliente, 302, upgraded to Toploader, front disk brakes ready for 2021 season after the snow melts!

SASSY

Re: Rear trim with checker pattern

Post by SASSY »

I used 1/16 masking tape,,,, when I was about your age,,, lol
Still looks decent.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Johno

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Fine line masking tape and a quality rattle can like UPOL Satin Black will cost less than twenty bucks. That vinyl is cool though.

Stacey
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

I need to do this also. Tried every other way & unless you go the vinyl sticker route I think the 1/16 tape is the only way.

The long lines separating the panels can be done with a paint pen. Excess cleaned with Acetone on a qtip.
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

luc3ch

Post by luc3ch »

Thanks guys. Now all I need is time and patience!
1964 Comet Caliente, 302, upgraded to Toploader, front disk brakes ready for 2021 season after the snow melts!