Anyone running 16" Rims on their 64-65?

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
kyudizky

Anyone running 16" Rims on their 64-65?

Post by kyudizky »

Finally got my rear spring situation (to lower the back end after putting all new SOT front end on) figured out. My 64 has 16x9.5 AR Torque Thrust II's on it with 255/50 Mickey Thompson street slicks on the rear. Lowered the car with the new Ranchero springs but have 1/4" clearance to the front of the fender well now..... (tire and wheels were on the car when i bought it). So I gotta find some new rear tires to give me more room so it doesn't rub.

Curious if anyone else is running 16" rims on their 64-65 and if so what kind and size tires on them? I would much rather have 15"wheels with bigger tires as I like the older look of more tire as opposed to the newer lower profile tire look, but I don't want to, at least at the moment, spend the money on all new wheels.

(205/55r16's on the front)

Thanks, Kyle

Rocket989

Re: Anyone running 16" Rims on their 64-65?

Post by Rocket989 »

Stock width rear end?? I’ve never seen larger than 8” rims fit... I’m running 16x7 rims in the back with the equivalent of 4.5” backspacing.
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Kyle,
I would say the problem is not the diameter of the wheels, most likely the offset of the wheel is the main problem. The ‘64 rear wheel opening is not conducive to wide tires because of its tear drop shape. Back in 70’s I was able to fit a 2:75-50 under my car but I had to mount them on 15” Crager wheels with a positive offset. (I had a ‘57 Ford 9” under the car at that time) 50 series tires look funny in my opinion because they are so short, I prefer a taller tire and the car to sit low on the tire.
You have a few options, (of course some of them are not inexpensive)
Find a wheel with an offset that allows you to fit your existing tires.
Change your tires to a narrower size
Move the rear end back on the springs
Alter the wheel opening.(something I would never do)
I have 2:75-60’s on my Comet with more than enough room all around them. I was able to do this with some serious modifications but I want this car low and I want a wide but not too wide of a tire. My wheels are 15x8 with a 2 1/4” backspace (negative offset) I also moved the springs inboard, reversed the front spring eye, and moved the center line of the rear end back 2”, I also fabricated new inner wheel wells.
It is just a matter of how much time and money you are willing to spend and a lot of thought along with some trial and error.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

kyudizky

Post by kyudizky »

I believe that it is the stick with 8" rear.

Ya I think its the offset and the width (10") of the wheel that are giving the the issue.

I need to pull the wheel off and measure the back space to see what my offset is. AR's website doesn't show a 16x9.5 option of my wheel to see what it is.

So i would need a positive offset wheel to move the tire in. I have about a 1" before it would get into the spring. Going to a narrower tire to get it completely inside of the wheel well would mean getting about a 4" narrower tire, which would not work on my 9.5" wheel.

AR has a 16x8 with a 10mm offset which (to match my front wheels) I suppose is an option and keep the existing tires, which would move the tire inward 3/8" but would have me with a 10" tire on a 8" wide rim.

I am really just trying to do the most inexpensive thing at the moment so i can get back to driving the car since i have replace the whole front end and steering and rear springs. Really not wanting to modify anything, and just either get 2 new rims to match or 2 new tires to go on the existing wheel.... if possible.