Gas gage reading when ignition is off

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
luc3ch

Gas gage reading when ignition is off

Post by luc3ch »

Should my gas gauge be reading even when the ignition is off?
I just fired up the Comet after her long winter sleep and noticed that after I shut her off, the gas gauge still showed the same reading.

Went to zero/empty after I disconnected the battery and put her back on the trickle charger.

I hope everyone is healthy and safe.

Chris
1964 Comet Caliente, 302, upgraded to Toploader, front disk brakes ready for 2021 season after the snow melts!

lavron
Site Admin

Re: Gas gage reading when ignition is off

Post by lavron »

I guess the first question is, did you change anything since the last time you used it?

Pretty sure the gauge is attached to either acc. or ignition and should not have juice when the key is off. The only other thing I can guess is the switch is not fully shutting off, like it is sticky or something but other stuff should continue run as well.

Not sure I am any help.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

luc3ch

Post by luc3ch »

Did I change anything?

Well, yeah, I did get my Toploader swapped in with way more mods than I ever anticipated having to make. Nothing to do with gages although I did put in the new Speedo cable.

Problem is I can't remember if it was doing that before.
1964 Comet Caliente, 302, upgraded to Toploader, front disk brakes ready for 2021 season after the snow melts!

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I do not know how ?? but while you were swapping out that speed O cable you got wires crossed or just touching >>> ??? just a thought.....it wouldn't surprise me you had this before you ever done anything to start with....if it was to make you feel any better,,,OL POP has a 88 f150 that the gas gauge reads with the key turned off...I just havn't got around to finding out why,,,it cause's no problem so right now it's not on top of stuff to find out why,,,maybe some day..,but not now !!!!…..it has the column key switch and right now it's out of adjustment..you have to place the tilt whl as high as it goes to start it.....right now with my cobra project going on ,this problem is low on the to do list ….thank you and good luck POP
pop/glenda

luc3ch

Post by luc3ch »

Thanks Pop. It's not a big deal for sure but I figure it's draining the battery slowly so I don't it going on forever.

I always disconnect and put the trickle charger on.

Stay healthy.