Seat Track Nightmare

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
FuzzyDriver

Seat Track Nightmare

Post by FuzzyDriver »

I hope someone can help me with this. When I got my Comet the front seat did not adjust right at all. I took it all apart when I had the seats recovered. I'm trying to put it back together and make it work right. It is a bench seat with a solid back (some Comets have bench seats with split backs).

I've been referring to a drawing that appeared in a post a few years ago by kevinshi Nov 22, 2021. Here's a copy of it:
https://i.ibb.co/qsqJznJ/1104-Seat-Full ... m-Copy.jpg

It's not exact (1965 Comet with split back), but very close.

My Comet did not have any of the 13190 shims(?) or the 61828 springs to pull the seat forward when you unlock it. What's worse is the tie rod at minimum extension is still TWO INCHES TOO LONG, which explains why the passenger side did not release when I adjusted the seat. Besides that, it looks like the tie rod will be stretched on top of the hump if I installed it anyway. Does this have something to do with the missing 13190 shims?

What on earth is going on? Did a PO break the tie rod and replace it with a F100 or Park Lane tie rod or something like that?

Should I try to get a set of 13190 shims? Does anyone know how much they raise the seat?
OK...so she might need a little work.Image

poboyjo65

Re: Seat Track Nightmare

Post by poboyjo65 »

If what you are calling a tie rod is the wire that goes from one side track lock to the other side one with a turn buckle to adjust it. It should be ran through a hog ring at front of seat in the center of the seat. This takes up the slack while keeping it from dragging on the drive shaft tunnel. I think I have a pic I can get later. If you would have used a picture to explain what you were talking about I would have answered sooner.
Johno

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Here are some pics of the seat out of my car with wire that is run thru 2 or 3 rings on the frame. if you zoom in on second pic you can see that it would be above the hog rings that are holding the cover on which helps it get over the hump

It was a split bench but would be the same for yours as well.
Johno

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

fuzzydriver after looking at the picture/exploded view of seat & parts that you found & posted from Kevins post again I noticed at the top of the page is an enlargement of the attachment of the wire to front of the seat .instead of hogrings it looks like hooks,,,,which make more sense > would be easier to install & remove .

Also I dont think mine had the shims but seat had been recovered so may have been left out at that time. I cant think of a reason to need them unless it's to get the track a little further out of the carpet fibers. but I'm sure you could make some or use frontend alignment shims or washers
Johno