Is the 64 Comet/Falcon Shop Manual Wrong?

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Groover

Is the 64 Comet/Falcon Shop Manual Wrong?

Post by Groover »

So I'm the new guy with the 64 Caliente. Bought the CD ROM of the shop manual to start my research. Right out of the shoot, I see that my body code says Axle 4 Trans 6. Yet the shop manual lists no trans code = 6.

In the Shop Manual it says

Axle Codes:
1=3.00:1
3=3.20:1
4=3.25:1
5=3.50:1
6=2.80:1

Trans Codes:
1= 3 speed manual
3= 2 speed auto
4= dual range 3 speed auto
5= 4 speed manual

That would suggest I have a 3.25:1 rear end with an unknown trans (I can see from the shift indicator it's a 3 speed auto). However, when I sent my codes to John at Love-Fords.org, he said he's certain that it is a C4 multi-drive Merc-o-matic (which would be trans code 4) and a 3.25:1 rear end (Axle code 4).

So has anybody else noticed this error in the shop manual (listing no trans code 6)? If so, are there any other errors that have been picked up?

...and is this really a C4 merc-o-matic? I thought the C4 was different than the merc-o?
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

Toyz

Re: Is the 64 Comet/Falcon Shop Manual Wrong?

Post by Toyz »

Same thing on mine. Other sources have indicated 6 is a C4 Mercomatic. My manual (second printing-October 63) also does not list my trim (59). This is probably due to my Cyclone being assembled later, on Valentine's day, although the K engine code IS listed.
Paul

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Guys;that seems to be an issue with the codes and how they were interpreted.My 65 has always been light blue exterior with the two tone blue interior.The codes in one manual show it as being beige metallic with a red interior.On a color chart I have for paint codes,the codes are correct.The engine,trans and rear end codes are correct as is the vin#. ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Transmission Codes mid year 64 as 2 speed was dropped, Cyclone added.

Code Type trans
1 3-Speed Manual
6 Dual Range 3-Speed Automatic
5 4-Speed Manual
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry