Time Capsule!!

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Time Capsule!!

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Brian sent me this link,gave me flash backs!! http://www.classiccarswest.com/1965-Mercury-Comet.html Hope it works,ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

spike

Re: Time Capsule!!

Post by spike »

Looks pretty sweet but not worth no where near that kind of money!

383MERC

Post by 383MERC »

I love a bargain as much as the next guy, but i don't think he's too far off on the price. I have a 65 caliente i found parked in 1970 with 25k miles on it. It's not as clean as this one, but i wouldn't take any less than 10-12 for it. Just my opinion though. These are getting very tough to find.
1963 Comet S-22 Drag Car
1964 Fairlane 2 door sedan T-Bolt Clone
2007 Shelby GT
1989 LX 5.0 Convertible

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

That is Mike's car from right here on this site, aka 4-2vcyclone.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

It is a decent 65 Comet but if you look closely at the pictures it does have issues,I feel it is priced a bit high,but it appears to be all there.It got my attention because it is very close to how my 65 was when it was new,same color,same interior,but optioned a bit different.The light blue is a rare color,in over 43 years I've only seen 4 Caliente 2door hardtops,and one 2 door sedan in that color. ROY.

STROKED

Post by STROKED »

GOOD LOOKING CAR!!!, HE'S NOT FAR OFF ON THE PRICE EITHER
Stroked
"Alabama Fan That Bleeds Ford Blue"
http://s1106.photobucket.com/albums/h380/rsbaker/
http://s1106.photobucket.com/albums/h38 ... %20Bronco/
64 Comet BFX Tribute
66 AC Cobra Webers
73 Bronco

comethead

Post by comethead »

Hope he sells it at the asking price...it would mark a positive trend on our cars.
As clean as it is, the automatic trans and bench seat are working against that price. Also, "Caliente" as opposed to "Cyclone" does too...even if the Cyclone tag is just a trim package with a 4 barrel carb (that you could have gotten on a Caliente.)

Roy you should buy it....but this time dont hack it up!! :P

Good luck on the sale...its a beautiful car!

Joe
Last edited by comethead on Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

looks to be a premium car, and with it a premium price
The pics do leave a lot of qusetions though
nothing under the hood,in the trunk,,,
0 rust ,,Wow I'd be showing floor pans wheel wells etc.
It may well be worth that kind of money but I would like to see more.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

spike

Post by spike »

I've seen them as nice or better for $6G-8G over the last two years.Fellow back in the summer had a black one with lower miles and was a super nice car that he wanted $10G for and never sold it.He moved to Florida and took it with him because had noone who would pay it.Over priced like most of the guys stuff.

riverbum

Post by riverbum »

i agree that i would like to see more pictures if i were a buyer. the car looks to be in very nice condition and imagine what it would cost to bring the average car to this point of restorarion. no to mention that you can't erase the original mileage. also consider that the price listed is a starting point and a seller representative will make a commission from the sale. i am sure the price is negotiable too.

always remember a simple rule of thumb. a car is worth, to the buyer, whatever he is willing to pay. it is also worth, to the seller, what he is willing to take. that's why i never price someone else's car :)

good luck with the sale

b.guggenmos

Post by b.guggenmos »

When I saw this I thought "ROY"! Someone should go and take a look at it? I agree that more pictures would be nice and for the advertised price they should have some trunk, underhood and under car shots. I agree with this being a starting point on price. We all know how hard and expensive some parts are to get and I am a believer of buying the best car you can afford because it will be cheaper in the long run.

I really like the color and the wheels look great on the car. If I owned it I would probably convert it to a four speed. I wonder if it is an A code? The ad could give more information.

It is the Hi-Po car I am waiting to see. It has the original build sheet and window sticker as proof. Brian
1965 Comet Cyclone Drag Car Aquamarine, 351C, 4 speed, 5:14, ladder bars, 10.50@129mph
1965 Falcon Tube Chassis Drag Car, 347, Jerico, 4 Link 9.?
1970 Boss 302 Yellow, Deluxe Interior, Shaker, Slats, 4:30 Drag Pac
1932 Ford 5 Window Coupe

riverbum

Post by riverbum »

one more thing that might help is a background with more contrast. the car does not stand out well against the white wall behind it. i bet the car looks much nicer in person.

spike

Post by spike »

I certainly agree something is only worth what someone is willing to pay on a given day but some people think their stuff is GOLD when it isn't,just the same as someone elses but I see this all the time and that's why they still own them.You have to either find someone who is as crazy as you are with deep pockets or keep hoping!

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

spike;you hit that question right on the button!!!An item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it!!!! ROY.

BJB

Post by BJB »

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:spike;you hit that question right on the button!!!An item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it!!!! ROY.
I think you are correct. My '66 Falcon was purchased for $1K by the second owner who drove it daily for about 20 years or so. He then sold it in 2003 for $6,700. I purchased it at the end of 2010 for $9, 500. Now I spoke to the 2nd owner to get some feedback as it had undergone some subtle changes during his ownership ( front and rear sway bars, 2V head, extractors, electronic ignition, retractable seat belts) and when I mentioned the price I had paid he remarked " Yeah that would be about right now"

Also, I had negotiated a price of $9K but a day later, the owner rang to advise that he really was going to be inconvenienced as he didn't have a second car and would have to rent one. He cited that he didn't think the car would sell as quickly as it did and he was caught short...I felt the car slipping away and by then I had it already parked in my garage even though I hadn't even left a deposit. I thought about him hanging onto the car until he was able to source another but saw the vehicle slipping away from me. I just paid him his full asking price ( another 500) and the deal was done.

So yeah, did I pay too much, I don't think so as I wanted that car and it wasn't outrageously out of the ball park as value. I have seen others cheaper, dearer, but are they as good. Doesn't matter, I wanted it and grabbed it.
"I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains,..enough with the floods already..."