Comet in Car Craft

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Re: Comet in Car Craft

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Thank You everyone for the kind words.Pop,I didn't build my Comet for anyone but me,the accolades are great but in the end I feel you need to make yourself proud of your car!As most Comet owners know we are a rare group,usually the only Mercury at any show or race,but you find a lot of people interested in our cars,some that have no clue as to what they are!I get real enjoyment in being able to help some of you keep our Comets on the road,I truly believe they are good looking,great cars that deserve recognition! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

ROY..took my comet on the MOBILE ONE FORD POWER TOUR,yrs ago,wound up in BOWLING GREEN KENTUCKY..ONE of judges,asked WHO BUILDS A COMET??? that ticked me off so bad ..I ask to see the WATER-melon truck he fell off of..as you know...I didn't win ,any thing,,,rest of wk-end, they acted like I had a bad case of the FLU!!!but they left knowing what part of me they couldn't judge..on any given day! Wife says my love affair with FORDS,MERCURYS lets the REDNECK come out,fast when it comes to hateful talk.. ! proud you made MAG! pop
pop/glenda

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

pop;I did the Pinks All Out show in Arizona last year.As I pulled in to stage Willie B was calling out the cars and had NO idea what my Comet was,even while standing right behind the car with those chrome letters spelling out COMET!!!!If it isn't a red 67-69 Camaro most clowns have NO CLUE!!!!! If any one is interested in seeing a lot of 64-65 Comets,go to the H.A.M.B. web site and look for the 64-65 Comets,lets see some pictures , thread.When most car shows only had a Pro-Street category and no seperate Race Car category,I used to occasionally take the gold away from all the Red,chromed out,big motored Chevys,which always made me smile,especially if it was"Participant" judging!!!! ROY.

comethead

Post by comethead »

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:If it isn't a red 67-69 Camaro most clowns have NO CLUE!!!!! ROY.
Hahaha!! Its true....one of my coworkers ALWAYS asks me how the "Falcon" is going! Im not sure if he's busting my balls or serious. I always correct him and give him crap about his "girlie" Miata!

On the flip side is when someone really knows the car, or says "My dad had one of those..." and tells a cool story. I always get a kick out of that.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Had a couple,at ashow ,say to me,,WE STARTED OUR MARIAGE AND LIFE TOGETHER IN A RED COMET,just like this one,the story they told was so neat,,I offered them the keys for a hour or so for a MEMORY DRIVE....BUT BEHAVE THEM SELVES IN IT..THEY WANT to,,,but they didn't,take me up on my offer.COMET{FORD},people {DIE-HARD}stand out,I think they make BETTER friends JMO......I think some where HENRY FORD..is driveing a blown 289,,street rod,thats my story...and I'm sticking to it ......POP
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

JUst got home from a 200 lap EUDRANCE RACE,....MSpop had CAR CRAFT MAG,here by comp,,,THATS a super write up ,,the PICS are PERFECT,ON ROY's comet.FOLKS...THATS one heck of a COMET...If you ain't seen it,,,you owe to yourself to get the MAGAZINE...POP
pop/glenda

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

pop;Thank You for the compliments!! I feel very fortunate to have a car that is not in the so-called main stream,but appears to be appreciated by many other people!! I did not get into my Comet with the intentions of drawing attention to it,I bought it because I really think the 64-65 Comets AND Falcons are great looking cars.I've been asked many times,Why a 65,well,because it was available,if it had been a 64,I still would have bought it,I like them both.It is not that other year Comets are bad,but when the 64s then the 65s came out I knew I wanted one!! ROY.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

ROY, same here,if my 64 had been a 65 ,it 'd been ok...when my h.s. auto instr. bought his new 65,blk on blk,ac 3on col shift,comet I thought a prettier car could not be built.pop
pop/glenda

comethead

Post by comethead »

popscomet wrote:...when my h.s. auto instr. bought his new 65,blk on blk,ac 3on col shift,comet I thought a prettier car could not be built.pop
I believe you are correct sir...to this day. Well there might be a few cars that come close...a very few :wink:

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

many yrs ago,I saw a 65 cycl 4-spd,nice in ,out stuck in mud in frt yard,owner had burnt clutch up in it,he was so upset ,pissed off ,told me ,while useing words that I still can't say,,,If I get it out ,its mine for 150.oo.I paid him, got title in hand,,chained up to my 6 cyc posi ford pu,got it out by myself,did not mess his grass up,parked it off his propty went got buddy took it home. him standing there bad mouthin it being a ford,that his brother's NOVA won't get stuck.WAS into mustangs then ,my buddy took 4-spd.I put the 289 in a 65 mustang........talking about HIND SITE......I think I gave the body away , just to get it gone,Being young ain't always the way...pop
pop/glenda

riverbum

Post by riverbum »

i went to the store today and all i saw was lowrider truck mags. i guess that's where kids are spending their money these days

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Riverbum...msPOP got mine at WAL-MART....do ya'll have wal-mart or even runin water and plenty of fresh air way down there? if i can help ...JUST LET ME KNOW HOW.......what are friends FOR!!!POP
pop/glenda

eckenber

Post by eckenber »

Roy, your Comet must be a big hit. Can't find Car Craft mag. anywhere. Congratulations. :D
1970 Ford Fairlane 500 429scj -drag pack option
1986 Mustang GT, heads, cam, intake, vortech super charger
1964 comet calente -in progress

b.guggenmos

Post by b.guggenmos »

I finally found the Car Craft issue today at Barnes and Nobile. I almost missed as someone covered up the Car Crafts with another car magazine. Earlier I tried a couple grocery stored with no luck. Brian
1965 Comet Cyclone Drag Car Aquamarine, 351C, 4 speed, 5:14, ladder bars, 10.50@129mph
1965 Falcon Tube Chassis Drag Car, 347, Jerico, 4 Link 9.?
1970 Boss 302 Yellow, Deluxe Interior, Shaker, Slats, 4:30 Drag Pac
1932 Ford 5 Window Coupe

riverbum

Post by riverbum »

well, now that you ask. our "SMALLMART" doesn't even have a magazine rack. it's the smallest walmart left in the USA. we are happy to have it though lol