biggest rear tire 65 comet?

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
65cometcal

biggest rear tire 65 comet?

Post by 65cometcal »

Whats the biggest tire you can put on rear with what rim offset?also moving springs in board give more clearence or do you need to cut tubs?

b.guggenmos

Re: biggest rear tire 65 comet?

Post by b.guggenmos »

I have a 28x9x15 M/T slick on the rear of my Comet without moving the springs but it is tight! I had Cragar custom build some S/S wheels with I think 5 3/8" back spacing. It has been awhile and they screwed it up the first time. You are probably trying to figure out a street tire? It will take a deep offset is all I can tell you.

Of course like most things I have done on my Comet I would not do that again. I would bag the leaf springs, use some wheel tubs and coil overs and never have to worry about it again. Good luck with your project, Brian
1965 Comet Cyclone Drag Car Aquamarine, 351C, 4 speed, 5:14, ladder bars, 10.50@129mph
1965 Falcon Tube Chassis Drag Car, 347, Jerico, 4 Link 9.?
1970 Boss 302 Yellow, Deluxe Interior, Shaker, Slats, 4:30 Drag Pac
1932 Ford 5 Window Coupe

65cometcal

Post by 65cometcal »

ya going with street tire thxs for info

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

With street tires you still need to know the cross section,hight and wheel size, so Brian's explanation is still viable information.This thread has been covered more than once on here,you cannot get a huge tire on our Comets without work and planning! I have a 7"early American 5 spoke wheel with 3 3/4 back spacing with a 225X70 tire but I used a Maverick 8" rear end[narrower than stock Comet] and it is still tight even after rolling the fender lip. ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

65cometcal

Post by 65cometcal »

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:With street tires you still need to know the cross section,hight and wheel size, so Brian's explanation is still viable information.This thread has been covered more than once on here,you cannot get a huge tire on our Comets without work and planning! I have a 7"early American 5 spoke wheel with 3 3/4 back spacing with a 225X70 tire but I used a Maverick 8" rear end[narrower than stock Comet] and it is still tight even after rolling the fender lip. ROY.
Thxs i'll see what i can do would like a decent size on back