GasserMac's '65 Cyclone pics

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
GasserMac

GasserMac's '65 Cyclone pics

Post by GasserMac »

All, the weather has been great down here in Charleston so an outside wet sanding w/600 paper was on order. Sanded the hood, fenders and trunk. The fenders will need about 3/8th's inch trimmed from the edge. In the back is the car. Sorry about the garage clutter. It's since been removed. I'll send better pics of the car soon...Brian

riverbum

Re: GasserMac's '65 Cyclone pics

Post by riverbum »

nice

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

That looks like a 64 hood!! Am I wrong? ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

383MERC

Post by 383MERC »

I would have to agree with you on that one. OOOPS!! Mark
1963 Comet S-22 Drag Car
1964 Fairlane 2 door sedan T-Bolt Clone
2007 Shelby GT
1989 LX 5.0 Convertible

GasserMac

Post by GasserMac »

OOOoooo....yes indeed! My wrong. Forgive a newbie. In an effort to get out some pics i inadvertently posted a batch featuring a shot of a '64 hood i bought, sight unseen, from Craigslist. Was informed that it was a '65 but after a bit of scuffing, i noticed " '64 COMET" written on the back...great..I then sold it to a fellow on Comet East and purchased the corrct year from Crites. All in an effort to save a buck, i DIDN'T. Live and learn...anyway, i'll pay for my error in more closely scrutinized photos which are on the way. Thanks Roy for the catch. The rest of the pics are quite correct......B

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

GasserMac;what are your plans?Did you already post them? I have the Crites parts on my 65 and they are great.I had to work the fenders a bit,too long,area by the windshield was a little low,the mounting tab at the bottom of the DS fender was too high,held the fender too low.I rebuilt the tab,filled and shaped the top of the fender and trimmed the doors for a nice close gap.To get the door-fender gap close I beveled the back of the fender so the door would clear when opened. ROY.

GasserMac

Post by GasserMac »

Well, i understand the Crites fenders do require a bit of finesse for a good fit/ look. From the factory, the fit was fair at best 40 years ago but i'm going to work at minimizing the door/ fender gap but hadn't thought about beveling the fender to clear. Hmmmm...Plans call for cleverly disguised parts that aren't period correct such as heads and intake. Most folks can't tell the difference between the 289 and 351W so i'm going to shoot for the Edelbrock 2/4 intake. Headers are currently Tubular Automotive but i'll be switching to Hooker Comp's and either notch or delete the towers. A Coast/ RPM 393 stroker kit with flattops and Comp roller cam for go. I'll drop off the C6 with a local shop for a check and kit. Would prefer a 4 sp but maybe in the future. The C6 will probably cost me some power, but It's hard to tear up a C6, after all. The straight axle will probably come from Speedway but i've noticed Thompson's Garage offers a package that i find interesting. We'll see. The upcoming trend is called 'day 2' which shows cars, right after being bought new off the lot, dressed out in mags, traction bars, etc.
(guilty...) We all did. So that's the look i'll go for; something that would probably be seen in the late 60's. I'm also possessed by a hood tach demon that i may just have to exorcise by obtaining a Dixco hood tach. Ehhhh....Gotta be careful not to take the vibe in too many directions, though.
I bought a pair of traction bars 10+ years ago from eBay that really have a period vibe to 'em. Never used and the box was falling apart. They were sold through a now defunct speed shop in Minneapolis and were stenciled "GIMME MORE- TRACTION GRABBERS". You can bet i'll reproduce the stenciling and mount them up. Not today's best setup for hooking, but man, the look. Rims; Cragar s/s with M&H 8" street tires and frontrunners. Bias Ply. Can't decide if i want to reupholster a pair of '65 mustang buckets i've got laying around or go for a pair of lo back fiberglass racing seats. Back seat goes away. 4 point rollbar and connectors....Gotta watch my bucks...
Any advice, pro's or con's, please say.....B

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

I LOVE IT!!!!!! Stay with one era,too many people get their theme mixed up and end up with a hodge podge!!! If you set the pre-load right on those bars they will work,just make sure the rubber snubber hits under the spring eye not the leaf.I always tell guys that fit and finish makes the car,fitting pieces can be a pain but does not cost much but your time,and it gives you pride in that YOU did it!!! Check that C-6,they are HUGE and our chassis is tight!! A C-4 will hold over 1000HP with out a lot of work and fit better.Keep us informed on your progress,it will be a cool Comet!!!! ROY.

GasserMac

Post by GasserMac »

O.K..let me try again. Recent pics of the effort...Brian

Ratical

Post by Ratical »

lookin better. what the plan for the hood on it?
Be Good and You Will Be Lonesome

GasserMac

Post by GasserMac »

Well, the factory hood will probably go into storage. The A/FX hood MAY see some kind of additional scoop although i haven't yet drawn a conclusion for a type of 'look'. Granted, cutting a hole in a ducted hood defeats the purpose of the ducts, but i don't think i can leave it alone. Also, all may recall the dealer applied competition stripe available for '65 over the side of the hood and down the back so i may incorporate that in as well. I gotta have it different....B