Is that sound a bad wheel bearing?

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
65Caliente

Is that sound a bad wheel bearing?

Post by 65Caliente »

Hello friends. Could you help me diagnose the thumping sound coming from the rear-end? My son sat in the back seat and he says it sounds like it's predominately on the left rear. It sounds exactly like a bad tire but I can't feel any vibration and the tires are only 3 months old. I'm planning to take it back to the tire store anyway to make sure. The thump is most obvious while coasting 30-35 mph. It inreases in frequency as my speed increases but not with engine revs. Above 45 mph it's harder to detect.
1965 Caliente, 4-door sedan
289 V-8 2V, 3 speed auto

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Re: Is that sound a bad wheel bearing?

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Jack up the rear end,secure it with jack stands,see if you can feel any grinding at the wheel or movement in and out or up and down.Check that the tire shop tightened ALL the lug nuts. ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

B_Hix

Post by B_Hix »

Could be that you just tossed a weight from the balance job... Take the rear tires off and take them for a balance check.

While you have it jacked up I'd say check your U-joints also for slop. Have you ever removed/replaced the drive shaft? Could it be in need of a balance?

...while you have that much done (here comes the hot rodder preverbial "might as well" -

Might as well give the brakes a thorough inspection - and since your at it the bearings aren't far away :mrgreen: Good 'off season' service action anyway - inspect brakes, drums/rotors, service (repack) wheel bearings), balance tires. etc. Bleed brakes if/as required
67 Comet
No power steering, 4-wheel drum brakes, 5 gears 'n' 400 + horsepower...
...hell yea it's fun

GasserMac

Post by GasserMac »

65, a quick check to perhaps rule out a bent rim or out of balance rim would be to swap rear tires and see if the problem moves to the other side or remains. I would think that a bad bearing would vibrate regardless of speed. Good luck...Brian

pro64

Post by pro64 »

sounds like bad belts in tire or out uv balance . start out with easy cheap stuff first work ur way to expensive, good luck :?