MODERN PAINT SUBSTITUTE

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
thos25

MODERN PAINT SUBSTITUTE

Post by thos25 »

Does anyone have an idea what newer color that would be most like the original CARNIVAL RED used on 64 and 65 COMETS? I saw a FAIRLANE in a mag that used an 05 FORD truck color called TOREADOR RED that looks just like the old VINTAGE BURGUNDY with as they said; "a metallic kick".
Thanks TOM :D :?:

juddp39532

Re: MODERN PAINT SUBSTITUTE

Post by juddp39532 »

If you have an area about 6"x6" of the original color you want ( inside door, under trunk) any profetional paint supply house can shoot it with their computer gun and match it with modern paints.

Groover

Post by Groover »

Why not buy the Carnival Red original which is still made and sold on at least one web site (cause I just bought 2 rattle cans). Automotivetouchup.com
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

When I painted my 66 Mustang I used 2006 Mustang color Torch Red. That way I could buy touch up paint easily, like the little ones with a brush inside. It was originally code T for Ford candyapple red which is slightly darker.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

RCMike

Post by RCMike »

I was told today that you can still get a car painted with the old paints.. Just insure the heck out of the car first.. My mechanic was telling me about the gorgeous Edsel wagon he had on his lift today and it was just back from 3 weeks in Mexico.. The paint was just beautiful, nothing like today's paints..
'63 Comet Hardtop

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

To me its hard to beat base / clear coat -a good wet sanding --a good buffing by some one who really knows how to run the buffer,,jmo..pop
pop/glenda

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

popscomet wrote:To me its hard to beat base / clear coat -a good wet sanding --a good buffing by some one who really knows how to run the buffer,,jmo..pop
I Agree!

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

You do not need to go to Mexico,there is plenty of paint options available even in the misstate of California! I have used both single stage,Double Black Gloss on a roadster frame,and two stage on my Comet,to repair 36 year old Imron.The Black has been mistaken for powder coat,two stage,and Lacquer!Where I live is governed by the greenie mofia that goes by the name,South Coast Air Management,read that as LA County Storm Troopers!!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

RCMike

Post by RCMike »

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:Where I live is governed by the greenie mofia that goes by the name,South Coast Air Management,read that as LA County Storm Troopers!!! ROY.
Lmao.. You know part of why I won't put a heater in my house is because without the heater I am exempt from their rules regarding fireplaces.. Because they now have regulatory authority to tell us when we can light a wood fire inside our houses unless it is the only source of heat.. SCAQMD can kiss my.... Well, you know..
'63 Comet Hardtop