poboyjos ride

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
albert

Re: poboyjos ride

Post by albert »

I would like to put the Borgeson unit on my car but it sounds like a lot of work with all of the custom alterations required. My Mustang buddies keep saying the Mustang kit will fit with no problems...........however, Johno after reading your previous post and this one I know you know what your talking about. Wish they made one just for our cars. Hey Johno, is that you trying to repair that old bi plane?? Is that a Ford bi plane? You know your only allowed to show Fords here?
Albert's 65 289, polar white, black buckets, 5 speed, Autolite 4100, ps, pb, factory tach, crites hood, headers, dual exhaust

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

albert wrote:I would like to put the Borgeson unit on my car but it sounds like a lot of work with all of the custom alterations required. My Mustang buddies keep saying the Mustang kit will fit with no problems...........however, Johno after reading your previous post and this one I know you know what your talking about. Wish they made one just for our cars. Hey Johno, is that you trying to repair that old bi plane?? Is that a Ford bi plane? You know your only allowed to show Fords here?
Save all that work and do an eps. Costs far less too.

Maybe that plane has a ford motor??
Ron

albert

Post by albert »

Ron, did you previously post a link to eps? I would like to check that out.
Albert's 65 289, polar white, black buckets, 5 speed, Autolite 4100, ps, pb, factory tach, crites hood, headers, dual exhaust

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

albert wrote:I would like to put the Borgeson unit on my car but it sounds like a lot of work with all of the custom alterations required. My Mustang buddies keep saying the Mustang kit will fit with no problems...........however, Johno after reading your previous post and this one I know you know what your talking about. Wish they made one just for our cars. Hey Johno, is that you trying to repair that old bi plane?? Is that a Ford bi plane? You know your only allowed to show Fords here?
1. aftermarket integrated PS box
2.rack & pinion
3. eps
4. stock PS
Albert of all the options I dont think the borgeson seems much harder than any of them . A power rack & pinion would require mounting the rack,then either an aftermarket column or cut & alter your old column or another later ford column,plus ujoints & shafts to the rack.

Installing eps isn't a walk in the park either, & if you want a tighter box or lower ratio steering it wont help, unless you can find a 4 turn box in good shape but most likely would need rebuilt . My stock box was tight but I wanted less turns for less arm travel, a more sporty feel.

The problem is our ''spear of death'' column shafts, one piece from inside the sector to steering wheel. so anything other than stock type PS will need some type of column alterations.
Last edited by poboyjo65 on Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johno

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

albert wrote:Ron, did you previously post a link to eps? I would like to check that out.
I think I did but just in case here is the original as posted on TFFN plus one more from there. Hope you are registered so you can read the posts. No cost but you have to be registered and have a user name.

Towards the end of the original post came some new info on more choices. And more info in the second post.
http://www.tffn.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32444

http://www.tffn.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=38744

It's been mentioned the 'spear of death' as a concern. EPS does not change that as you already have the 'spear of death'. The deep dish steering wheel was fords initial way of dealing with that. In 67 they added this big 'football' like pad to the center of the wheel. I wasn't that concerned about it since that's the way it was built. Should you choose to use the shaft and u-joints from the donor car you could have a collapsing column if you are concerned. But the motor would need more support to do it that way.

The eps will function just fine with either the 16:1 ps steering box or the 19:1 non ps steering box. But if you want the faster box get it before making the change so you don't do it twice. I have had ps on a ford with either box so you can get used to either box. Steering box can easily be rebuilt or find one already done. Just be cautious when shopping for one.

If you read the article and follow how I did mine, you'll see mine is the simplest it can get. I was the first one to complete the install. Read the whole thing and you'll see where Fred (Sassy) copied my install with some changes but basically the same. A bunch of guys on the mustang forum have done theirs too but theirs aren't as simple as on the falcon/comet. I know what they were doing wrong and tried to help but they never listened to me so I shut up.

I have no qualms about mine once I got all the bugs out. It drives and handles like a dream. Saved about 50# of weight and cleaned up the engine and engine compartment. From under the hood doesn't even look like it has ps.

I'll be glad to answer any questions. Click on my signature pic to see more pics in my pb folder.

Waid is the guy who started the post. By the way it says $100 or less. That is completely true or was when I did mine. My cost was less than $100 and included a 3g alt which I have yet to install.
Ron

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

albert wrote: Hey Johno, is that you trying to repair that old bi plane?? Is that a Ford bi plane? You know your only allowed to show Fords here?
Naw that is Comethead Joe, I'm flying the plane! If you look close you can see Pop's head hanging out tellin him what to do ! :lol:

btw Ford made airplanes back then,,, until Henry's main test pilot got killed in a crash & he quit making planes after that, true story!! :wink:
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

poboyjo65 wrote:
albert wrote: Hey Johno, is that you trying to repair that old bi plane?? Is that a Ford bi plane? You know your only allowed to show Fords here?
Naw that is Comethead Joe, I'm flying the plane! If you look close you can see Pop's head hanging out tellin him what to do ! :lol:

btw Ford made airplanes back then,,, until Henry's main test pilot got killed in a crash & he quit making planes after that, true story!! :wink:
YEA,and I got such a sore throat hollarn at him tellin him to leave it alone.....it just had some water in the gas from flying thru a small cloud burst just before that pic was taken,which by the way was JOE's fault cause he forgot to put the gas cap back on,that's why he ain't got a shirt on,it's stuffed in the gas tank filler upper......what PO'd me was I got a big bug in my right eye and I thought I was going blind,plus when that pic was taken was the only time JOHN ever held the plane level,if you look real close ,JOE had to take his belt and strap hisself to the running brd to keep jOHN from tossin his booty off,,,,,but it all came out on the wash...we landed safely....pop
pop/glenda

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

ROTFLMAO :lol: :lol: :lol: 8) :roll: :roll:
Ron

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Glad it all came out in the wash Pop! Sorry about that landing! :)
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

poboyjo65 wrote:Glad it all came out in the wash Pop! Sorry about that landing! :)
BY THE WAY,did JOE ever replace all the tools he dropped and did that woman ever get in touch with him about her busted windshield??
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I dont know .did you ever untie him? :?
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I THOUGHT YOU DID :!: :shock: :?
pop/glenda

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

So Joe was working on the engine? I thought he was repairing rust damage again. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim

Loner

Post by Loner »

Johno the back of your car in the new sig picture you put up looks good. Is that a Cyclone emblem I see :lol: :lol:
I'm wondering if it is a common occurrence for there to be such a large gap at the bottom of the trunk lid. The few I have seen in person and my own are all like this.
Have you noticed the same?
I hear you can use the weather striping from the back of a Dodge Darago for the trunk on these cars.
Might grab one next time I'm at the wrecking yard just to try it.

Matt

comethead

Post by comethead »

Jims65cyclone wrote:So Joe was working on the engine? I thought he was repairing rust damage again. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim
You guys are killing me!!!!!

By the way both my old junks are now (almost) rust free!!! :mrgreen:

And btw pop and John...I had to untie myself after that airplane caper :|
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed