Steve's 64 Comet Project

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
66sevets

Re: Steve's 64 Comet Project

Post by 66sevets »

Assembled my gauge cluster and cleaned up my dash parts. Put new wood grain on. Need to get my dash painted and I can start putting all this stuff in.

Groover

Post by Groover »

I like the look of those gauges. They almost look original. Nice job.

Any reason why you swapped temp and pressure (isn't temp supposed to be on the right and pressure on the left)?
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

66sevets

Post by 66sevets »

Groover wrote:Any reason why you swapped temp and pressure (isn't temp supposed to be on the right and pressure on the left)?

I just put them how I wanted to look at them. Put fuel and oil temp on the left because I figured I'd be tending to look right towards the tach and I'll see oil pres and water temp. I got a oil temp gauge because the aluminum block I don't want to be hammering until the metal is up to temp.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Looks Great!! Like I ALWAYS SAY,"Build It To Suit YOU"!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I like those gauges,,,that looks real nice,,,,,was it much work to fit them?? It has been so many years since I've done anything to my comet,am thinking about a couple of things and those gauges impress me,sure beats them under the dash,,thanks ...POP
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

popscomet wrote:I like those gauges,,,that looks real nice,,,,,was it much work to fit them?? It has been so many years since I've done anything to my comet,am thinking about a couple of things and those gauges impress me,sure beats them under the dash,,thanks ...POP
It's about time you do something to that comet, I've been so jealous at you not having to do anything to it ! :lol: That's why I'm gonna make you drive my car at PF, so you'll want to put on that 65 steering that you have hoarded back :lol: :lol: :lol: .
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I don't want to rain on STEVE"S thread,but JOHN this ol red comet has been a good trouble free FORD for many years,not to mention the miles and different states me and Glenda have driven it across.....the VC's,intake even the timing has never been touched in 20 plus years,back in the middle 90's as I was building it ,I took the GENERATOR and had it checked and a set of brushs were replaced,other then that,it still works just fine,and it's the orignal one......it don't leak nothing and it still won't use a drop of oil,enuff of this ,I'll try not to speak of it again.....thanks POP
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Yea That reminds me, you need to pull off them racecars long enough to polish those V.C.s before PF!They deserve it after 20 years!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Johno

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

POP;you know you just jenxed yourself!!!! ROY
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

66sevets

Post by 66sevets »

Here you go Pops, it was a bit of work. I had to cut out the back with a hole saw in a drill press backed with a 2x4, then trim with a pair of shears. Worked pretty good.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:POP;you know you just jenxed yourself!!!! ROY
Ain't that the truth !! am going outside in the garage right now to see if it'll start......but my saving grace might be ,I wasn't braggin ,just stateing a fact......I learnt many years ago,,,,if it has TITS or TIRES....you might have a problem sooner or later...pop
pop/glenda

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

66sevets wrote:Assembled my gauge cluster and cleaned up my dash parts. Put new wood grain on. Need to get my dash painted and I can start putting all this stuff in.

Love the look of your gauges. Looks like the gauge fits perfect in the stock opening. Nice
tomb's 65

Aussie Comet 1964

Post by Aussie Comet 1964 »

I Like the gauges, nice work, I am just in the process of doing the same thing but I found autometer gauges fit too & look similar, I am only going for autometer because I picked up some cheap, but I will have an odd gauge I need to have an air fuel/boost gauge. The SW gauges you used look great. they look factory. I was hoping I didn`t have to cut the metal frame, but going by what you have done, looks like I do. John
1964 Comet Caliente 2DR hardtop 302cu C4 10.61 @ 126.68mph
1964 Comet Caliente 2DR hardtop project
1964 Fairlane 500 4 dr daily driver
1964 700 Mercury Truck
1964 Comet Ranchero

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Steve....you do some mighty fine looking work for a guy with a jug of shine sittin' on his workbench. :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

THANKS for sharing the way you went about installing those gauges,,,you did a very nice job ,,thumbs up !! POP
pop/glenda