64 Comet Project OVERHAUL

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Tbart

Re: 64 Comet Project OVERHAUL

Post by Tbart »

You know it Pop! A guy has got to be driven by something more than just wanting a cool car to go through all the crap these Cosmic Comets have. It's the kind of thing an artist strives for. Gotta be just the way you envision it and you keep going til you are there. Then there's just that one more little thing to make it "just so". Doesn't matter what gets in the way.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I have met cosmic (cary) and his wife joan and one of thier sons( PEPS),they are super ,,they drove to PF,TENN last june to the gathering..you should try and come this june,,you don't have to bring a car ,just come and be part of the THING !!,but by chance you was to bring a comet it be like iceing on the cake..most don't bring a comet,but they do come...you'll have a great time, ROBERT the comet guy came and he and his wife rode with me in my comet on our little ride..in 2008 I was in Lincoln NEB in my comet...pop
pop/glenda

Tbart

Post by Tbart »

Yeah Pop, I would really like to attend with the Cyclone. The distance is no problem. My car is ready. My obligations are the trouble. I'm going to plan a way to attend. Do you need 1150 bushels of corn at "The Gathering"? I hear they have a special "Hillbilly BBQ Sauce" they make out of corn.

CosmicComets

Post by CosmicComets »

Ok, here we go again, been fighting with my phone, laptop, and photobucket foe some time now. Here are some of the pics of the fiasco.. maybe! :roll:
Thats the new fan in front of the new radiator and homemade shroud
ImageImage

Well guys, I tried! I see the short upside down videoof motor running did not show up, any ideas?
65 Cyclone 460W, C4, trans brake, CalTracs
64 Cyclone (son's) 408W 8 stack EFI 6speed, Winters qc rear
64 Cyclone (son's)347, 4speed, mini tubbed 9"
1965 Caliente, 289, 4 speed, buckets, 51k miles
1969 428 CJ coupe (son's)
1965 Cyclone, tube chassis, 514bbf, glide w/brake

WARNING: all of my vehicles are armed with anti-thrift devices

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

LOOKING good CARY....pay attenttion to those plug wires,,thier too nice and cost to much to burn them on a header...hi to all the rest of your clan...POP/Glenda
pop/glenda

CosmicComets

Post by CosmicComets »

Thanks Pop, It's kind of an illusion, the wires clear, however we obviously have a Lot of rerouting of wires and hoses to do yet. Try this link to the short video of it running. The video will only be right side uo to Aussie and Tambo and a few others. Note Kelly trying to control fuel pressure by quickly touching the wires together! No, it didn't work well enough for the self-learning EFI to learn anything. We will install a reurn line system when the tank gets built! Cary

http://vid1266.photobucket.com/albums/j ... 0isr8n.mp4

ec164

Post by ec164 »

Video worked for me, but while I was standing on my head to watch I spilled my coffee LOL....Happy New Year I really like your car........Al
Your ahead in a Mercury....all the way!

Groover

Post by Groover »

Hey Cary,

1st off, great progress on the Comets. Can't wait to see them this year (or next) down in PF.

As for the video, you'll need to rotate it in some video editing software before you post it to photobucket. Try Apple Quick Time or Windows movie. In Quick Time you'll need to save a copy of the video as an .mov file, then under edit, click "flip vertical" then save it again and repost it.

I did it for you but this is in my photobucket. You can try to save this and re-post.

1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

CosmicComets

Post by CosmicComets »

Thanks Groover, I didn't notice the link the first time I read your post, but it works for me, so hopefully it will work for everyone else too. You young guns are turning us old coots upside down when it comes to techno stuff. :mrgreen: Sorry about the coffee Al, I owe you a cup! It only took me two cups to figure I could just flip my laptop. When I try on my phone it keeps flipping itself back upside down. Stay warm, Cary

jdhank

Post by jdhank »

Hi Cary,

First of all what an awesome car you guys have built! Just WOW!

I see you went with the T56 Magnum, how do you like it and how easily did that install go?

I'm planning on a manual transmission (from a C4) for my '64 and was thinking about the T5z just because it seemed the easiest swap to make but thought that if I'm forced to go with the TKO that I may as well pay a few bucks more for the Magnum.
For me, the idea of cutting out and fabbing a complete new hump is intimidating but I suppose I could find a competent metal working guy(s) near me to build something similar...I suppose I might even consider a removable aluminum dog-house type set-up over it. ??

Yours,
Jd
John Henry
USN Ret
Mississippi

1970 Cougar XR7, 351C 4V/Auto. Hounds-Tooth
1967 Cyclone Convertible, 390 "S"/Auto
1964 Cyclone K-code. w/o motor. gotta' go get it but I see a 351C & a T5 in its future. A CrList find.

CosmicComets

Post by CosmicComets »

Thanks, Jd! We kind of went with the 6 speed when comparing the cost difference between that and the T5 series. Also because of potentially driving to and from a track, the double overdrive seemed appealing. The install is much more involved, and plan on fabricating an almost complete tunnel and trans mount as well as driveshaft. Don't consider a removeable hump unless you have built in a full frame under your car. We have welded in a bit more than frame connectors, and still felt it neccesssary to weld the hump back in. Remember these are unibody cars, this car still wears the crumpled floor pan in the rear seat area from hard launches with a 289 and 4speed on old cheater slicks! Good luck with your build no matter which way you decide to go, Cary

jdhank

Post by jdhank »

Tks Cary,

So for planning purposes, how much Wider/Taller/Longer did you need to make the new tunnel-hump?

Yours,
Jd
John Henry
USN Ret
Mississippi

1970 Cougar XR7, 351C 4V/Auto. Hounds-Tooth
1967 Cyclone Convertible, 390 "S"/Auto
1964 Cyclone K-code. w/o motor. gotta' go get it but I see a 351C & a T5 in its future. A CrList find.

CosmicComets

Post by CosmicComets »

Hey Jd, I am out of state at a son's place for a week, but I can get you the measurements of what we needed to make when I get home. I don't know what a T5 actual measures, but if you search some threads on this forum I think that conversion is rather straight forward except for the trans mount. Cary

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

bump
Johno