64 Comet Project OVERHAUL

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
ec164

Re: 64 Comet Project OVERHAUL

Post by ec164 »

This is good to know and hope your Holidays are filled with the fresh scent of race fuel, come spring you should be burning rubber........Al
Your ahead in a Mercury....all the way!

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

This stuff is awsome,,,as well as thier owners,POP ain't meet all of them but the ones I have shook hands with are awsome for sure ,so that tells me the rest of the clan has to be awsome !!! POP
pop/glenda

gmsnowball

Post by gmsnowball »

poboyjo65 wrote:first thing I noticed is those wheels-sweet! then the lift, bet that helps ole CC do more work! & evbody got a stovepipe in their hand. :lol: Killer rearend, it's all killer! good job so far guys ,TOP NOTCH ! keep after it! :D

I agree.......I especially love the wheels, what size/brand?

Gary
Oklahoma Somewhere
Just Outside the Neutral Zone
64 Comet Calentie Convertible

CosmicComets

Post by CosmicComets »

The wheels are ET Fuelers by Team III Wheels out of California. The fronts are 15x6 and the rears are 16x12 "deep windows" that were built to order. They were very expensive but a nice product. We had to return the first set of rears as they were drilled wrong! The 16s don't give you a whole bunch of tire options, so they are Hoosier 16x15.5x30 Prostreets. I will double check that tire size in a while. Yep, this is the car we need a heater box for! Take care Y'all! Cary
65 Cyclone 460W, C4, trans brake, CalTracs
64 Cyclone (son's) 408W 8 stack EFI 6speed, Winters qc rear
64 Cyclone (son's)347, 4speed, mini tubbed 9"
1965 Caliente, 289, 4 speed, buckets, 51k miles
1969 428 CJ coupe (son's)
1965 Cyclone, tube chassis, 514bbf, glide w/brake

WARNING: all of my vehicles are armed with anti-thrift devices

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Awesome man!!!
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

CosmicComets

Post by CosmicComets »

I was hoping to have a video of the 408 running today, but we got stumped by a glitch in the EFI, that we figured out, but need an additional part. We filled the tranny, primed the oil pump, finished up the power cables to the trunk mounted battery, connected the starter, relay, and plugged in all of our "plug and play" connections. Our AN connections turned out to be the wrong style for the fuel line that came with them. The fittings were for a teflon line and we needed regular. I borrowed some used fittings from a local dirt track racer, and ran the hose with pump and regulator attatched to a gas can on the floor, jumpered to a car battery sitting on a chair. We then ran the power cord for the EFI control box out the passenger window and plugged it into the power outlet of an Arctic Cat snowmobile. Yes it was an interesting sight. We powered up the FAST control box and ran a systems check and it said all systems OK. Awesome, crank this beast over and see what happens!!... Nothing. We were not getting an RPM reading at the control box, so in turn it won't send out a signal to the injectors or the coil and we had nothing. The MSD Digital 6AL needs what they call an RPM modual, a small diode that pluggs into it in line that will allow the MSD to send a signal that the motor is turning over. The 6AL only starts sending a signal for RPM after the motor fires up or hits a certain RPM. Guess what, in the fine print of the instructions it says that some (read that MOST) aftermarket ignition boxes will require an "RPM module" not included, at additional cost. I guess Inglese couldn't include it in the 7k price, knowing that the majority of costomers will likely need it. So... We will order the part tomorrow and keep y'all posted!! Cary

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

" I borrowed some used fittings from a local dirt track racer, and ran the hose with pump and regulator attatched to a gas can on the floor, jumpered to a car battery sitting on a chair. We then ran the power cord for the EFI control box out the passenger window and plugged it into the power outlet of an Arctic Cat snowmobile"

LOL, Shouldn't a pic be required with a scene like that?
Congrats on the progress, even though it didn't run yet.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Cary;WOW,makes a Carb and points sound good!!!! It WILL be worth it in the end!!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

CosmicComets

Post by CosmicComets »

Fred, I will post a couple of pics when I get a chance, If I can figure out how. I'm tied up the rest of the day between plowing snow and a youth hockey tournement. The scene kind of resembles a cross between Frankenstien's lab and a grade school science project! I went on line and found the RPM module, ONLY $94.41, and if we order in the next sixty minutes they will include an instruction sheet, we only have to pay additional shipping and handling! My pal Mike thinks he may have another solution to try, so doing that tomorrow morning. Thanks guys for the encouragement! Cary

pro64

Post by pro64 »

sweet how about a video of her running :D 8)

CosmicComets

Post by CosmicComets »

Hey guys, I promise I will try to post a video, but FIRST we need to get this thing running, and THEN figure out how to post one!! :roll: Cary

Tbart

Post by Tbart »

I admire your Cyclone projects very much. You guys have a lot of skill and patience. Thanks for the insight and updates.

CosmicComets

Post by CosmicComets »

Thanks Tbart and anyone else following this thread. We have had a lot of help on these projects, from both family and friends. We Finally got the 408 to fire up, however briefly. :D We installed the RPM module and were still not getting a readout to the computer. It turned out that Kelly's (new) MSD box was bad and would't send an RPM signal no matter how it was wired. :evil: A tech guy from FAST talked us (our wiring ace MIKE) through trouble shooting the system. Fortunately, Peps64 MSD was a direct plug and go replacement, so we now owe him a box. What we hadn't figured on is how difficult it would be to maintain 43 lbs of fuel pressure without having a return fuel line off of the bypass style regulator! :shock: Kelly was watching the fuel gauge and intermittently touching a wire to a battery. We couldn't maintain an idle long enough for the self learning system to learn anything! I DID get some pictures of this and a short video that I captured on Kelly's phone, which I texted to my phone but the video came upside down and wants to stay that way. :roll: Anyway the good news is we know it will run, and can now proceed to building a fuel tank and system. We are waiting for a 6AN bleeder screw from Modern Driveline for the hydraulic clutch, and we got the Mopar brake master fiited to the firewall. Out of town for Christmas, so will try adding some type of visual when I can.
Happy Holidays! Cary

Tbart

Post by Tbart »

Hipo parts can be aggravating. So can the people who sell them. When you find some that take pride in their service and quality, that's a good thing. At the level you guys are playing, you need some pretty exotic stuff. Those transmission suppliers you've been dealing with probably had you wishing you'd been dealing with someone else, to put it mildly. At least the ignition guys helped track down and prove their part was junk. One thumbs up for that at least. This kind of work is hard enough without getting the wrong parts or bad ones. This is not just the parts biz. It's everywhere. Seems like pride in your work, even if you're just a warehouse guy, is gone. I have to order a lot of stuff for glass business and fully half of it is late or wrong. Seems to me the young guy that gets a lowly warehouse job and tries to do a great job so he gets a raise and a promotion is extinct. They seem to think they should drop out of high school and fall gently into an 80k job where their enlightened "we're the smartest, sexiest, bravest, wisest, best looking, get out of our way, generation the Earth has yet witnessed" self description entitles them to be in charge, far above some one tasked with making sure a customer actually gets what he ordered. Yet your Comets are getting close to done. My hat is off to you. That's Comet hotrodding at it's best!

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Tbart wrote:Hipo parts can be aggravating. So can the people who sell them. When you find some that take pride in their service and quality, that's a good thing. At the level you guys are playing, you need some pretty exotic stuff. Those transmission suppliers you've been dealing with probably had you wishing you'd been dealing with someone else, to put it mildly. At least the ignition guys helped track down and prove their part was junk. One thumbs up for that at least. This kind of work is hard enough without getting the wrong parts or bad ones. This is not just the parts biz. It's everywhere. Seems like pride in your work, even if you're just a warehouse guy, is gone. I have to order a lot of stuff for glass business and fully half of it is late or wrong. Seems to me the young guy that gets a lowly warehouse job and tries to do a great job so he gets a raise and a promotion is extinct. They seem to think they should drop out of high school and fall gently into an 80k job where their enlightened "we're the smartest, sexiest, bravest, wisest, best looking, get out of our way, generation the Earth has yet witnessed" self description entitles them to be in charge, far above some one tasked with making sure a customer actually gets what he ordered. Yet your Comets are getting close to done. My hat is off to you. That's Comet hotrodding at it's best!
I couldn't have said that any better myself....TBART my hats off to you :lol: pop
pop/glenda