My new 65 Caliente

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Loner

Re: My new 65 Caliente

Post by Loner »

Block # is- 8H5 0C80E-6015-A Can't remember why I thought it was out of a mustang???? Maybe the guy that gave it to me told me that.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

The 8H5 is above the other number right?
Johno

Loner

Post by Loner »

Yes the 8H5 is above the other number.
August 5th 1968 I'm thinking.

The E manifold is flipped becuse I pulled it out of this truck. Had to be that way to make it passed the steering box.

Matt

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I'm sure someone will know for sure. 8H5 is 8=1968,, H5= august the 5th . & the other number is most likely C8OE-6015-A =C is the decade 8 is the year,, O is fairlane /torino, E is for engine group & A is a revision of the way that part was first made . By looking at this link that is my guess but lots of times I get all mixed up on this date stuff :roll:
http://mustangtek.com/FordDecode.html
I had one similar with e manifold turn around like that & someone sad it was from a bronco. but still could have started life in something else. mine also had a double hump oil pan which I think clears the steering linkages on a bronco.
Johno

Loner

Post by Loner »

That's a good link John, thanks for sharing.
I came up with the same conclusion after looking at that site.

Matt

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

77 and older V8 bronco's did not have a exh manifold that turned like that,,,back in the mid 50's...Y block V8's did ,they had a cross over pipe that ran to the other side .WHEN you put a later V8 in a straight frt axle truck,like that old yellow trk in the pic,,the steering box was in the way...so the exh pipe had to come from the front and curve down and back to the muffler............FORD started the cross over pipe in frt in 1954 with the 1st Y-block V8,,,and a Y block was used up thru 1964 in a truck and FORD never put dual exh on a truck in those yrs,as they all had a straight axle.....it all changed in 1965 with the twin I-beam.....yrs ago I put a 460 in a 64 pu,but I ran all 8 pipes thru the hood...had a flange made ,muffler shop bent a tight bend and I welded pipe to flange straight up and tuned and cut each pipe,,looked good ,sounded even better,,as it was on a mudd drag truck.........just alittle info.....those Y block trucks did not have side motor mounts,,,frt mount was under crank pully and rear mts were on each side of bell house.......I had to make side mts that bolted to frame and make a rear cross member to install the 460 in the 64....whew..my mind is tired recalling this old history :lol: :lol: :lol: and that cross over was on all cars with single exh. that had the Y block but in 58 ford also had the FE..in 55 FORD started factory dual exhaust on some cars,,all this holds true on a MERCURY ALSO in that time
pop/glenda

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

That reminds me - I've seen a stout Y-block shoe-horned in an early Falcon....can't remember where though!! I think the Y-blocks and the "big" sixes (223, 240, 300??) were dang neat. Well, most Foooooord motors are neat but those especially!

Someday I wanna build a '71-2 'Stang 'vert to haul the family around in. A 240 or 300 with a big ole single turbo oughta haul it down the road just fine! :lol: :D
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Rocket989 wrote:That reminds me - I've seen a stout Y-block shoe-horned in an early Falcon....can't remember where though!! I think the Y-blocks and the "big" sixes (223, 240, 300??) were dang neat. Well, most Foooooord motors are neat but those especially!

Someday I wanna build a '71-2 'Stang 'vert to haul the family around in. A 240 or 300 with a big ole single turbo oughta haul it down the road just fine! :lol: :D
my pick is the 240 with a 3.70rear gear,,,,I like the pullin pwr of the 300 ,I have one in my 1988 4wd with a granny 4spd....the only thing about the 300 is it is a gas hog..and mine is FI and it just sucks gas ,runs perfect very dependable,,don't have but 125,000 orig miles on it, at 16yrso ,had a 223 in a 54 car,,3spd,shaved the head and DAD made me an exhaust cut out with a screw on cap,,had a low gear in rear ,but don't recall what it was...I dusted many V8's with it..hardly ever got beat coming out a the hole and thru 2nd gear,,then after that sometimes I just ran out of motor and then sometimes I didn't,,,but it was a killer thru the intersection,,me and GLENDA had a blast in that little ford.... :D :D I hooked a juke box speaker in a wooden to the radio with a long cord,,would set it on the top and we all danced under a street light for hrs or til the batt died and we pushed it off and started it :shock: :lol: WHEW !! GOT LOST IN THE 60'S FOR JUST A FEW SEC'S...........................
pop/glenda

Loner

Post by Loner »

We had a 59 Ford 1 ton with a 223 in it when I was a kid.
Don't know what gears were in it but I could take off in 4th gear without slipping the cluch.
This truck never failed to start and get us where we were going and back. Sometimes it would be sitting for months before we used it. There has been a few times that I wish it was still around.
Never had any experience with the 300 or the 240 other than there's a 240 long block sitting out buy my tool shed. Think it came out of a 69 4x4.
I'm thinking there was a Y block in our 57 T-bird but I can't remember.

Matt

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I've had a few 300's & they are tough. All went very high mileage. one of them I got from a guy who pulled it because it had high mileage ,around 250000, I ran it a bunch of more years. most of them never quit,just start rattling so bad you know to get another one. one must have broke a piston skirt or something, it running when shut down & fired up after work a couple hours later it knocked upon startup. I have one FI out here now with 316000 still running.
Johno

Loner

Post by Loner »

Been working on the Comet when I get time. I desided to run it the way it is until I have the time to build it how I want it. So I pulled the head off the other day just to replace the rotted out freeze plugs. Only broke 4 exhast bolts getting the manifold off :| Got them all out with only a few cus words. I also fished the bodywork on the front fender,started striping out anything that can burn inside for when I cut out and weld in the floor panels and sold some bowtie parts to pay for the gas tank and sending unit 8)

Matt

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Loner wrote:So I pulled the head off the other day just to replace the rotted out freeze plugs
I blew the rear freeze plug on the head of my Comet years ago, I was able to get a screwdriver back there and pop out what was left of the rotten plug and installed a rubber plug. The space is very tight back there on a 6, the rubber plug was still in there (probably still is) until I re-did the motor years later and put a different head on the car.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Loner

Post by Loner »

I have done that also Mike.
All the little 3/4 inch ones on the head were rotted out. Tried to just take the exhaust manifold off to change them but after 4 broken bolts I took the head off. Everything looks good so I'm going to put it back together after new freeze plugs and value seals.
Next thing I'm looking at is a new fuel line. Anybody have any suggestions?

Matt

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Loner wrote:Next thing I'm looking at is a new fuel line. Anybody have any suggestions?
Just make one, most auto parts store should have some remade or you can run rubber line as far as that goes.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Loner

Post by Loner »

Going to pass on the rubber line. Never lasts more than a 4 or 5 years without a issue. I think it has something to do with the additives in this California gas but I'm not sure. Wondering if brake line would work?

Matt