experts needed!

The Big Comets
tomahawkcomet

experts needed!

Post by tomahawkcomet »

so i have the change to buy a wrecked 2004ish mustang gt, my question is, it has a 6 speed, will this trans bolt up to other things or is it one of those transmission that only work with the 5.4 motor?? if it doesnt then i probably wont get it for i was gonna buy it for the diskbrakes and interior seats, motor and trans but if it wont work with to many other motors that might sway me not to get it, altho it would be nice for a future project, hell maybe even a super charged 5.4/6speed in the comet :P anyway help me out guys! i can get it cheap enough so im just debating if i should or not
67 caliente

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Re: experts needed!

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Only Cobra's had 6 speeds in 2004. Actually not till 2011 did Mustang GT's get a 6 speed. Are you sure it is a GT, or has the tranny been changed? Check Krashyman's Comet out, 5.4 6 speed.

Here is his thread on here.
http://www.cometcentral.com/forum/viewt ... 2&start=15

You tube video of finished product.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu5rhjNI4eU&NR=1
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

tomahawkcomet

Post by tomahawkcomet »

guess i should be more clear, i dono the year only seen it from the high way i assume now its 2008, manual, guess i assumed it was a 6 speed, could be a 5, im gonna go check it out today and will know more, i figured it was a 5.4 but maybe its only a 4.6 :twisted: either way..thanks for the link i dono how i missed it i searched high and low! i dono is it worth getting, i was gonna get it for the disk brakes and seats, maybe future project with the motor and tranny :|
67 caliente

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

If it is an 08 it would have a 4.6 3 valve motor. Great little motor, good power, good mileage. Also, that 5 speed works good but the shifter bolts to the floor pan and is rather large. You may be in for some tunnel fabrication. Now for the good news. Ford Racing makes a wiring harness to run that engine in any car. A plug and play harness with computer. You just got to make it all fit, and figure out the fuel system. Keep us updated. That tranny is set up for electronic speedometer, so it will not work unless you run the 4.6 get the Ford harness and a speedometer that will work with that setup.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

tomahawkcomet

Post by tomahawkcomet »

thanks boss! you been alot of help, i have a 97 f150 single cab short box this motor might be better for, and maybe just use the disk brakes on my comet, like i said i can get it cheap enough
67 caliente

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

That motor will not run in that 97 F150 with the existing 97 wiring. Totally different setup, including cam sensors off by 180 degrees and the 3 valve has variable timing. I know someone that tried it in a 2001 F150 and even installed restrictors on the variable timing. It never ran right after six months of trying. As for the 2008 Mustang brakes, they will work on a Comet with proper custom brackets. My Dad is a retired tool and die maker. He made me a set of brackets to use new Mustang brakes on my Comet. I did have to order custom flexible brake lines from the Comets hard lines to the caliper. A place over in Holland, Michigan made them for around $80.00 Has standard end on one side and metric on the other. I will try to take a picture of them later this week.
Larry

tomahawkcomet

Post by tomahawkcomet »

Awesome! Yea someone on ebay makes an adapter to bolt them on. I'm getting the whole car so ill have the comp and harness but that's already sounding like a project lol so I guess motor can sit till I finish few projects up. Boss you been big help cant wait to see pics
67 caliente

riverbum

Post by riverbum »

i have a friend who retro fitted a complete 4.6, tranny, gauges, seats, front suspension, rear and steering from a mustang into his 63 falcon sprint convertible. it looks great and has won awards to every car show he attends. i will get some detailed pictures next time i see him