Removing chrome window trim help

The Big Comets
dcducks1

Removing chrome window trim help

Post by dcducks1 »

Anyone got any tips on removing front windshield chrome trim? I have a leak on the passenger side that I verified yesterday by pouring some water in different areas. I think if I can get the trim off I should be able to put some clear silicone underneath and fix my leak problem.

Dave

Lip Ripper

Re: Removing chrome window trim help

Post by Lip Ripper »

It takes a special tool to release the clips. I'm sure you'll find something on youtube.

Stacey
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

What year and model? Some have the trim imbedded in the rubber seal and can't be removed without pulling the entire glass and seal. Later they just used clips to hold the trim on. Places like Dearborn and Mac's sell tools to release the clips. Mustang venders also sell the same tools.
Ron

dcducks1

Post by dcducks1 »

Its a 1966 4 door hardtop. I have found a few videos online that show old cars (not Comets), but I think I get the jist. Having the front windshield replaced on Monday and I hope the guy knows what he is doing because the trim looks hard to find in good shape.

Dave

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

dcducks1 wrote:Its a 1966 4 door hardtop. I have found a few videos online that show old cars (not Comets), but I think I get the jist. Having the front windshield replaced on Monday and I hope the guy knows what he is doing because the trim looks hard to find in good shape.

Dave
Most likely the 66 has the clips meaning you don't have to remove the whole glass. 65 may have been the last year for the trim imbedded in the rubber. Just be careful not to damage the pins that the clips attach to. Replacement clips are probably common and available.
Ron

Jedeka

Post by Jedeka »

I just finished removing the trim around my 67. The lower trim us held on by screws that can be accessed after removing the wiper arms and the cowl. The side trim pieces are held on with 3 screws that can be accessed after removing door seal and drip edge trim. The top trim is held on with clips across the top of the windshield. The clips stick onto a flat head pin that is buried in the seal/glue.

dcducks1

Post by dcducks1 »

Only my side trim was held on by screws. I had the front windshield replaced yesterday and they popped off the top trim and left the bottom trim on. They cleared out the old sealant, applied new and slid the new windshield right in. Looks great and no damage to the (hard to find) window trim.

Dave