Wiper motor wiring

The Big Comets
dcducks1

Wiper motor wiring

Post by dcducks1 »

My 66 Comet Capri (4 door) came with the wiper motor removed. I got a new one that was designed with the intermittent wipers and have started to mount it to the "triangular" plate and linkage. The problem I have is that my wiring and the motor wiring do not match up. I ordered a wiring schematic from eBay and am hoping that I can figure it out from there. Even the manufacturer (Cardone) has not been any help but I'm sure they don't know what my '66 wiring colors mean either. Anyone out there have an idea on what goes where? It sure would be nice to drive in the rain if I had to.

Dave

Comechero65

Re: Wiper motor wiring

Post by Comechero65 »

I could help with 65 falcon wiring and the intermittence unit used in trucks after 71 but know nothing about the 66.
Ron

dcducks1

Post by dcducks1 »

well......what good are you then Ron? Just kidding.....my wiring schematics should be here in a couple days and I hope they will give me the info I need. With some info, I should be able to contact the motor manufacturer and figure out what goes to what.

dave

Jedeka

Post by Jedeka »

PM your email address to me. I can send you a pic of the wiring diagram for a 67 with intermittent wipers.

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

dcducks1 wrote:well......what good are you then Ron? Just kidding.....my wiring schematics should be here in a couple days and I hope they will give me the info I need. With some info, I should be able to contact the motor manufacturer and figure out what goes to what.

dave
I installed an intermittance system from a truck on my 65 ranchero so i'm familiar with that. Didn't know there was an intermittence system on earlier fords. With what I know about the 2 speed wipers used in those years the wiring is different I think and cantankerous and finicky to work with. Wire it wrong and it goes nuts. I once tried to wire a truck version to an earlier 2 speed motor but gave up in frustration. Even tried to design an interface for it but it didn't work as expected. Electrical has always been easy for me but that was frustrating.

Looks like you are getting a wiring diagram for a 67 so maybe that will help you.
Ron

dcducks1

Post by dcducks1 »

Thanks everyone. I was reading out wires yesterday and it appeared that my light blue or grey (cant tell the color) had constant voltage, the black was intermittent, the orange with black stripe had no voltage and the other black had no voltage. I sent this info to Cardone (motor manufacturer) to see if they could show me the matchups for their wire colors. I will keep you posted.

Dave

dcducks1

Post by dcducks1 »

I have the motor installed and working. It will turn on (high speed) and turn off but it doesn't "park". I only have one power wire hooked up and the motor is grounded to the body. Here is what I received from the manufacturer (Cardone). Wiring off of the motor is as follows: red, white, blue, black!

Connect 12v to white. Motor runs at low speed
Connect 12v to blue. Motor runs at high speed
Connect the black and white wires together. Connect 12v to red wire. Motor should run then park.

The only problem with this is that it didn't work. If the black and white were connected as stated above and I supplied 12v to the red wire, the motor did NOTHING and the wires got hot. I finally got it set up so that it will work when the knob is turned on and will stop when the knob is turned off. I have to park it myself by timing it correctly when turning it off. Its not perfect, but I doubt I drive it much in the rain for now. I will attack it once I do some more investigating. Hope this helps someone who might be tackling the same thing.

Dave