headers

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
doug sample

headers

Post by doug sample »

I want to know what header fits? I have aluminum heads, 302 ,manual t5,id like to run a block hugger or shortys ? what works with my 64 comet?

Rocket989

Re: headers

Post by Rocket989 »

What kinda clutch linkage are you using??

Some have had good luck with the Hedman 88400, 88406, 88408's though the driver side collector angle can call for creative routing of exhaust by the steering box. Sanderson shorties (can't remember part numbers) appear to have addressed this and I heard they fit better but haven't seen any pics.

Dougs headers for a manual OR auto are supposed to fit with a T5 and cable or hydraulic linkage but in talking to one of their managers that has a Falcon with a T5 and cable clutch...he's using a '94-'95 bell housing that clocks the cable entry lower (about an inch). From pictures I've seen, that does make a difference!

Doug Thorley (I think same or close to Dougs), Crites, and Ford Powertrain make headers for our cars.

I didn't see anything that convinced me a cable setup with '87-'93 'Stang bell wouldnt be a hassle. The cable needs an inch clearance from the header tubes minimum (maybe a little less with ceramic coating), and a STRAIGHT shot into the trans...

I got a deal on a nice set of older Doug Thorley headers and decided to go hydraulic to duck any hassle. If I hadn't I'd give Sanderson a call.
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

Kingspeedy2

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

While we are on the header topic
My automatic car came with an older set of Dougs,and man they where so close to everything .They really did a good job of squeezing them in .and tough to get off.
Now my shock towers are gone because of the new TCI front end i could spread things out a bit.Plus the headers are about done .if i remember right they also had factory depressions to clear the shock towers which reduce flow slightly.
They may have been previous owner induded
Anybody have thoughts on a header with no shock towers and a roller 302

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

IIIRC Dougs makes headers for MII front-end. I haven't looked at the TCI stuff so don't know how close it is dimension-wise.

Edit - I just checked their site and they list the TCI MII-style specifically in both coated and painted. DY661B & DY661R
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

Kingspeedy2

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

Thanks Rocket