popscomet

Re: Lou's 65 Comet Build

Post by popscomet »

EVERYTHING looks sick :!: :shock: :D :wink: mighty fine work..........pop
pop/glenda

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

poboyjo65 wrote:Gauges are gonna look smooth Lou! That hole in the bottom of your hood looks very familiar. I ended up beefing up the whole bottom edges of my hood & it turned out to look pretty good, better than expected. I dont think I ever posted any pics of it though. :roll: So hopefully yours will be painted this summer? :D
Thanks John. Hood is pretty solid on front edge. I filled the back inside edges of scoop openings with 8115 to beef those edges up. Once I get the cups glued in place everything should be pretty solid.

Yea hopefully:) been saving up for the price of paint,maybe when the weather gets warm.

Lou

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Loner wrote:Nice job Lou! I like you mounted the switches.
I'm afraid to even touch my instrument cluster from the fear that it is going to brake.

Matt
Santa's Comet wrote:Lou, great looking set up! I like how you added the plugin tucked under!
NP Dave
Thanks guys, needed a switch for a line lock, figures a extra switch will come in handy for something later. And wanted a extra power outlet for cell charger/GPS . Since the area where the radio was is now dead space figured I could hide the stuff there. Going for simple uncluttered look. Only things visible on dash will be gauges and indicator lights.

Lou

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

tomb22 wrote:Love the dash Lou. looks like a lot of tedious work.
comethead wrote:Beautiful work Lou!
Rocket989 wrote:Gonna be one smokin' Comet!! Lot of REALLY fine work! :D :lol: :x :mrgreen:
popscomet wrote:EVERYTHING looks sick :!: :shock: :D :wink: mighty fine work..........pop
Thanks guys, got more time into the dash than I thought I would, but pretty happy with how it is coming out.

Will have less money in it verses restoring a original and I haven't cut or modified the original metal dash of car. So could go back to original later if I wanted too. Still have to do glove box door and pass side end cap but they should be easy.

Lou

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Got a little bit more done on dash. Wasn't real happy with the indicator lights being flush with dash. I drilled the washers out and added a new one to recess the light back about 1/8". Took a pencil tip cutter tip and V'd out the seams where the pipes set in dash face for the 8115 adhesive. Then glued all the seams with the panel adhesive. Kept working it till it was showing on both sides.

Let it set a couple days the sand and epoxy primer.

Lou

pugs65

Post by pugs65 »

Lookin great Lou. Dash looks great, Pugs.
302 roller
4 speed
Real cars are built to be driven and driven hard!!!

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Thanks Pugs.

Got some time today to play with dash some more. I sanded most of the adhesive and started on getting the glove box face done to match rest of dash.

Lines up pretty decent, little more adjusting but not much. Used the original glove box door and hinge, just made the face and attached it thru the same holes the trim was fastened before. It opens and closes nice. The hole in the glove box face is so I can open it by inserting a drill bit and pressing the original button. This hopefully is temporary. I plan on having the release button recessed into the bottom of the glove box door like the switches are recessed into bottom of dash. Haven't completely figured out how I am going to do this but have a idea. Once the remote release button is done I will weld up the hole in the face.

Lou

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Smooth & clean Lou!! :D :D Lots of space in between the trim & glove box door. no goodies going in there? like a pop out drink holder or radio? gloves? :lol: :lol:
Johno

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Thanks John, probably going to end up wasted space. Did think of radio control for hidden radio but think it would be too big. Plus lever for remote release will take up center of opening.

I made a lever to move the release to bottom of glove box door. Just a fulcrum and lever.

Took some 14 gauge left over from dash face to make the fulcrum and a pice of 1/8" for the lever.

Welded some 3/16 rod to the lever. Welded the 14ga into brackets and drilled. Put rubber grommets in the brackets for the rod.

Cut a notch in bottom of new face, welded the access hole I drilled shut, and welded some studs thru the new face for glove box door for fulcrum brackets, and mounted the assembly. Here it is mounted to the back of new glove box face.

Don't want it to rattle, took a rubber tip off a clamp I have and put over the lever where it will hit the old glove box release button. Also made a template for the box to finish the bottom edge.

And here is what the box will look like from the bottom.

Bolted the new face to the original glove box door. Also made the end piece of dash face and bolted to dash board.

Here is a picture of bottom of dash where you can see the new release for the glove box door.

The lever works great. Shook the door good before mounting and no rattles or movement. Very happy with it. Still have some more work on the end piece, might need a bracket made to keep it in alignment. Still have to make end caps for the dash and door so you don't seem the open area when glovebox is open. And make the small box for bottom of door around lever. Then do the seams with 8115. Prob a few more hours and it will be ready to take back apart and epoxy primer.

Lou

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Also took a few pictures of what the Comet looks like in final coat of primer/surfacer. Seemed like it took forever but finally got the body lines and gaps where I want them.

Lou

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Nice job Lou. Yours is the only comet I've seen where the back of the trunk lid doesn't have a big gap
tomb's 65

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

tomb22 wrote:Nice job Lou. Yours is the only comet I've seen where the back of the trunk lid doesn't have a big gap
:lol: :lol: if you scroll back thru this build thread you can see how he fixed it!! a complete how-to on it :lol: Lou isn't a collision man, he restores them back better than the factory did them! :wink:

Lou when you wear the good off those tires if you want to sell them let me know! I need to do like you & find a set for fitment before I fork out the big money for a new set!!! dang they look good!!!
Johno

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

tomb22 wrote:Nice job Lou. Yours is the only comet I've seen where the back of the trunk lid doesn't have a big gap
Yeah!...and check out the fitment of the fender extensions and the hood lip with that glass hood.Takes a lot of work to get those perfect.
Lou,clean out that booth,get her taped up and get some paint on that thing.Tired of looking at that primer. :)

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

It certainly will be a nice one of a kind Comet, When I think about it nice probably doesn't do it justice.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Thanks Tomb, had to kind of bend the trunk lid to get the gap I wanted,
poboyjo65 wrote:............
Lou when you wear the good off those tires if you want to sell them let me know! I need to do like you & find a set for fitment before I fork out the big money for a new set!!! dang they look good!!!
NP, you can have them when I get new ones. My fav view.....

I still have the cyclone rear wheel well trim for ya when you need it

Lou