engine upgrades

Unusual and Unique Performance Mods
fryedaddy

Re: engine upgrades

Post by fryedaddy »

i just got my new roller rockers on and adjusted.looks like im going to have to go to town and get a few things.these new alu heads use smaller plugs than my cj heads,and i need a couple brass plugs for the new intake.Pop i have a before video making a pass up the street.i can make another one when im done and compair.i have a dollar or two im this new stuff,im just trying to take my time and paying attention to details.you are right on the money about the grandsons hands on those header bolts,plus my hands are twice as big as his,that makes those header bolts even tougher
fryedaddy
Image1966 caliente,428 4 speed,4.11 gears,nitrous,parachute

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

the little hands are for startin....the BIG hands are for torque-ing,,,,plus the little people are just great to have around and ask questions for us old guys to answer and make us feel so smart..... :D :wink:
pop/glenda

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

i fired my new combo up today.it was kinda bitter sweet.it fired up and sounds unbelievable,but before i started this project my engine was randomly dieing at different times and places,like you just reached over and turn the key off,it would die and not start back sometimes.i have it narrowed down to the key switch..but it fired up and sounded good till it just up and died.i jiggled the key and it started again.but died just like you turned it off.i will get me a new switch or put a toggle in it and see what happens.for now im affraid to drive it till i get that electrical stuff done.
fryedaddy

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

That stinks Frye!!!!! Hopefully you get it squared and get to bang the asphalt with that FINE FE!! :D :lol: :lol:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

update,it turned out to be moisture in the dist cap.its running better than ever before after cleaning up the dist and a little wd40.im going to fine tune it and i will make another video.i have a before video to post too.
fryedaddy

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

fryedaddy wrote:update,it turned out to be moisture in the dist cap.its running better than ever before after cleaning up the dist and a little wd40.im going to fine tune it and i will make another video.i have a before video to post too.
POP has owned many FORDS in life,,trust me many !....2 of them was the worlds worst for that dist to draw moisture,,,,1 was a 55 with a 292 ci Y-block,,,the other was a 65 with a FE....good luck pop
pop/glenda

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

ah shucks,every time i think i got it,its still dieing.my son got his multi-meter out yesterday.looks like i need a new msd box.my other one lasted 4 or 5 years.i have heard of them going out in a few months,and one guy said he got 11 years out of one.im going to get a new one through amazon,that way if for some reason that dont fix it,i can return it for a refund,no questions asked.it will be here tomorrow.i also got a new magnetic pickup for my dist.it was reading a little low on the meter so im going to swap them both.hopefully it will get fire to the plugs.
fryedaddy

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

the same MSD BOX and dist has been on my comet since it was put on back in the mid-90's...have 2 more cars same way,,BUT one time a box didn't last 2hrs,til it went out,,BEINGS all this MSD stuff POP has ,means it was built yrs ago in the USA...
pop/glenda

StPro

Post by StPro »

MSD (Miss,Stutter, Detonate) has always had issues with reliability. I have had several over the years fail when needed the most,usually at the tract in the money round. I had a total of 3 MSD DIS-4 on my Mark VIII and 6 Tach adapters that gave me fits for years. I do use their stuff (Knock on wood) with my fingers crossed.
Only use the brakes to stop and get gas.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
93 Mark VIII Supercharged w/Fogger
70 Torino GT

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

StPro wrote:MSD (Miss,Stutter, Detonate) has always had issues with reliability. I have had several over the years fail when needed the most,usually at the tract in the money round. I had a total of 3 MSD DIS-4 on my Mark VIII and 6 Tach adapters that gave me fits for years. I do use their stuff (Knock on wood) with my fingers crossed.
I look for that MSD stuff on my cars to go out anytime,,they are old,,I never leave home without my cell phone............ :!: :? :wink: pop
pop/glenda

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

UPDATE,i got a bad seal on my intake gasket and im having a smoking issue.i have a new intake gasket ready to install.fe engines are bad for intake leaks.the china wall back of the intake,tabs from the head gaskets have to be bent down too.i cant remember if i bent them down or not.i will have it going in a day or two.it runs great now,but i cant put up with that smoke!
fryedaddy

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Git 'er DUN! :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :P
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Have you tried a new coil? If you're gonna throw parts at it ya might as well start with the cheaper ones, & a spare coil isn't a bad thing to have on hand anyway.
Johno

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

poboyjo65 wrote:Have you tried a new coil? If you're gonna throw parts at it ya might as well start with the cheaper ones, & a spare coil isn't a bad thing to have on hand anyway.
the box fixed the dying issue and yes i tried my extra coil eairlier,didnt help.but anyway i got started on it today with the intake removal.im going to take my time and get my son to help me line it up straight.my new rpm intake dont have a hole for the front dowel to fit in so i had to pull the dowel out of my block,which makes it alot harder to line up.we will get it,just a little set back,
fryedaddy

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

Here's a before video...Still working on my engine right now and I'll update with a new video after the upgrades are done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdIap3pgCKs
fryedaddy