1965 Comet 202 project

Upload pictures of your Comets and Projects to share with everyone.
poboyjo65

Re: 1965 Comet 202 project

Post by poboyjo65 »

Looks good! That 3 groove crank pulley may create some problems, depending on your rad & fan set up. I tried to use one with my thicker aluminum rad & flex fan. stock fan had same problem. the pulley interfered with the fan & couldn't space the fan out more because of the rad. so keep your eye out for a 2 groove pulley, but make sure you don't get a 3 bolt pulley for the earlier motors.the third groove is for ac.
Johno

ArkansasComet

Post by ArkansasComet »

Thanks for the info Johnnie! I wasn't sure about the pulley setup, I don't plan on running AC or power steering so I'll keep an eye out for the shorter pulley. I was thinking about getting a 50 oz harmonic balancer with 3 bolt holes so I can run the older style pulley, but if I can find the right 4 bolt pulley that would be a lot cheaper.

"Auto racing began 5 minutes after the second car was built." - Henry Ford

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Jim it just dawned on me that I should have a 2 groove 4 bolt pulley, since I just put on underdrive pulleys. I'll find it this evening. shoot me a pm if your interested ,you know my normal price is 20 bucks! :lol: :lol: also if you want to wait to be sure you need it, it will be here, I'll save it for you.

I also have 2 of the 3 groove pulleys. I bought one from Joe, & when I figured out it wouldn't work I hung it on a nail & noticed right beside it was it's twin :roll: :lol:
Johno

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

As John mentioned the 3 groove pulley can be too long, I found that out when i was building mine. So I just used a 2 groove pulley, then ran ac and ps off of one belt to save room and it all fits. Yours should have a 4 bolt dampener with 50 oz imbalance. They make dampeners for 3 and 4 bolt pulleys and interchangeable weights for the 28 and 50 oz imbalance.
You asked for any ideas, so since you have the roller cam with roller lifters you could replace the rockers with roller rockers to make a complete package. My 97 crate motor cam the same way with the stamped rockers so I swapped them out to roller rockers which maybe wasn't necessary but i figured why not stay roller all the way and reduce wear and tear on the valves.
By the way I run an F4B on mine as well. But because the intake is so tall I wanted to run a 1/2" insulator under the carb which that and an added 1" spacer for the pcv could made the whole thing too tall. So I eliminated the spacer and drilled and tapped a fitting into the back side of the intake for a pcv connection. By doing that it allowed me to use the standard pcv to intake hose. Kept the heigth down so it all clears the hood with no problem. May have been ok anyway but that's what i did with mine.
The engine is looking good. Going to be a good runner for you I think.
Ron

comethead

Post by comethead »

poboyjo65 wrote:Jim it just dawned on me that I should have a 2 groove 4 bolt pulley, since I just put on underdrive pulleys. I'll find it this evening. shoot me a pm if your interested ,you know my normal price is 20 bucks! :lol: :lol: also if you want to wait to be sure you need it, it will be here, I'll save it for you.

I also have 2 of the 3 groove pulleys. I bought one from Joe, & when I figured out it wouldn't work I hung it on a nail & noticed right beside it was it's twin :roll: :lol:
Crapo! I might have to buy that 2 groover back from you :roll:
For the falcon

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

I have found 3 bolt pulleys are more plentiful and easier to find then 4 bolts. Easier to go all 3 bolt.
Ron

ArkansasComet

Post by ArkansasComet »

Thanks for the offer on the pulley Johnnie, but Joe can have it for his Falcon, I think I only need a single groove pulley. I do have room on my shop wall for my 3 groove pulley :D

Thanks for the info Ron, mine is the 4 bolt 50 oz dampener, I think there are enough conversion parts out there that I should be able to find a single groove pulley setup that works. I might look for a kit so I know the pulley depths will match. I like the idea of roller rockers, any particular set you would recommend? Also thanks for the info on the F4B, I may have enough room for a spacer with the Crites hood but it will be a while before I get to find out!

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

comethead wrote:
poboyjo65 wrote:Jim it just dawned on me that I should have a 2 groove 4 bolt pulley, since I just put on underdrive pulleys. I'll find it this evening. shoot me a pm if your interested ,you know my normal price is 20 bucks! :lol: :lol: also if you want to wait to be sure you need it, it will be here, I'll save it for you.

Crapo! I might have to buy that 2 groover back from you :roll:
For the falcon

Joe
Joe I didnt get a 2 groovy from you, it was a 3 groove. but since Jim doesn't want the 2 groove you can have it for my normal price of 30 bucks! :lol: :lol: Just kiddin !! 20 bucks if you need it pm me. but no hurry ,if you want to wait & see for sure if you need it.
Johno

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

ArkansasComet wrote:Thanks for the info Ron, mine is the 4 bolt 50 oz dampener, I think there are enough conversion parts out there that I should be able to find a single groove pulley setup that works. I might look for a kit so I know the pulley depths will match. I like the idea of roller rockers, any particular set you would recommend? Also thanks for the info on the F4B, I may have enough room for a spacer with the Crites hood but it will be a while before I get to find out!
Yours should be 4 bolt 50 oz. I stayed all 3 bolt. I installed a Hipo dampener which I had rebalanced to work with the 5.0.
I used the Proform roller rockers, #778-66879 1.6 rockers. Either got them from Summit or Jeggs. I listed the number which is Jeggs number. Summit lists them as PRO-66879. As i recall Jeggs had the better price. I would have used the 1.7 rockers but had no idea if the lift would be too much for my piston tops. And I didn't want to pull the head to do a clay test. So I stayed conservative and kept the 1.6s. They are the pedestal mount so I used the ford shims to set the preload.
I may have had enough room for the 1" spacer too but wouldn't know till the engine got put in. So just added my own fitting for the pcv. Was a simple mod.
I wanted the chrome pulleys which were harder to find in 4 bolt so i just stayed with the 3 bolt and got them in chrome. They are both larger Od so I was concerned about the alt spinning too fast so I installed the Hipo alt pulley to slow down the alt. Has worked just fine.
Pic of alt is incorrect now as I just got finished replacing the 1g alt with a 3g 135 Amp alt. Similar though. You can see the hipo pulley on the alt. With the old stock pulley on the alt it could have sent the alt to better than 10,000 rpm. Though i don't usually push it that hard i was still being cautious.

F4B and carb. You can just see the pcv tube right behind the intake. that's in the same place as on a stock ford intake so the pcv tube fits correct.
IMG_3106.JPG
IMG_3106.JPG (64.44 KiB) Viewed 3955 times
IMG_6381.JPG
IMG_6381.JPG (64.77 KiB) Viewed 3955 times
Alt and pulleys.
IMG_3299b.JPG
IMG_3299b.JPG (76.76 KiB) Viewed 3955 times
Hipo dampener.
IMG_5543.JPG
IMG_5543.JPG (104.95 KiB) Viewed 3955 times
Ron

ArkansasComet

Post by ArkansasComet »

Awesome, thanks for all the info & great pics!

After doing more research my plan is to get a 50 oz dampener with the 3 bolt pattern so I can use all original style single groove pulleys. The new production chrome ones are the cheapest, I would rather have black but if it saves me money I won't be too picky, I can always paint them. Anyone have original single groove pulleys they want to sell? :D

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

ArkansasComet wrote:Awesome, thanks for all the info & great pics!

After doing more research my plan is to get a 50 oz dampener with the 3 bolt pattern so I can use all original style single groove pulleys. The new production chrome ones are the cheapest, I would rather have black but if it saves me money I won't be too picky, I can always paint them. Anyone have original single groove pulleys they want to sell? :D
The chrome pulleys I used I got from Calmuscleparts.com. The chrome ones were harder to find than black. But they were a larger od but still fit. I was concerned they might hit each other but they didn't. But since the crank pulley was so much larger it was going to speed up the alt. Hence the larger od hipo alt pulley. Water pump was the same since it was proportionately larger but the same so the ratio stayed the same. Ac and ps pump were going to run faster but i wasn't too worried about that. The ford ps pump is gone so no worries there. The added speed to the ac just makes it work a little better. Just have to avoid having the ac on in high engine rpms which for me doesn't happen.
3 bolt plain pulleys are easy to find. I have some black plain pulleys but none as a matching set with 2 grooves. I probably still have a pair of single grooves which I couldn't use. I thought the chrome pulleys just added a little bling so that was ok.
Ron

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Comechero65 wrote:I just got finished replacing the 1g alt with a 3g 135 Amp alt.
Ron....was that just because "bigger is better", or did you have a need for the additional power? Anything to do with the EPS?
Jim

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Comechero65 wrote:I just got finished replacing the 1g alt with a 3g 135 Amp alt.
Ron....was that just because "bigger is better", or did you have a need for the additional power? Anything to do with the EPS?
Jim
It was partly because I was adding the eps which can draw up to 40 amps at max draw. I was concerned the stock 65 amp alt might be taxed so I planned ahead and got the 3g when I was getting the parts to do the eps. Total expense including the alt was less than $100. I had the 3g sitting on the shelf ready to get installed. The old alt seemed to be doing ok for a couple years but i was beginning to see some issues with it. It didn't seem to be keeping the charge up especially under heavier load and the headlights were starting to go up and down in brightness with engine speed. Then here recently the needle on my amp gauge was starting to jump. checked for bad connections and found none. I had a 1 wire module on the back of the alt which had been working ok but was appearing to run real hot within a few minutes after starting the engine. And I was seeing the output of the alt jumping also so suspected either the alt was developing a problem or the module which is the regulator and tells the alt what to do was getting erratic and was dieing. So I went ahead and swapped out the alt. Charging stays at a good level now and no more jumping of the gauge. And headlights are now staying at same brightness no matter the load or engine speed.
Still have some work to finalise the wiring. Also have to do some minor adjustment of belt alignment. It's running ok but I want to improve the alignment.
After that I'm having what appears to be a fuel problem. running funny at times and getting some backfiring. Doesn't do it unless I get on it. Still can drive it as long as i take it easy. Won't be surprised if this damb gas isn't starting to breakdown something in the carb or fuel pump. Our gas has ethanol in it, so does most of the country, so rubber parts are susceptable. Wish we had gas without it nearby but there isn't a station without it for 250 miles.
Ron

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Sounds like a few issues, but, hey, that's hotroddin'. The fun is half in the driving and half in the tinkering. We're lucky here to have several stations within a couple of miles of my house with 90 octane ethanol-free gas. That's what I put in the Comet and all my small-engine tools like lawn mower, chainsaw, etc.
Jim

ArkansasComet

Post by ArkansasComet »

Not so good news for my poor Comet project, I had a vintage intake burn up in a Fedex truck & now Greyhound has lost my passenger door after a month of waiting!

My plan was to use an F4B intake on my 302 since I thought I still had one laying around from a previous project, but my brother reminded me that I sold it to him for a Mustang project he no longer owns. So I started searching & found one for a great deal on ebay & bought it, but it was in a Fedex truck that caught fire & was lost! Luckily I got my money back but I was still really disappointed since these intakes aren't made anymore. I'll be in CA next month & will be going to the Pomona swap meet so hopefully I'll find something there. I haven't been in years so I can't wait!

Then today I go to the Greyhound station to pick up a passenger door I bought over a month ago & according to my tracking it had arrived on Thurs, but when I got to the station they told me they do not have it & that it had already been signed for by the recipient! So it appears someone forged my signature & may have taken my door? I'm not sure who would want to steal a Comet sedan door so hopefully it is just a mistake by Greyhound & they can locate it.

For now I am taking a break from buying any Comet parts online! haha. I hope everyone else is having better luck with their projects! -Jim