what did you do to your comet today?

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
lavron
Site Admin

Re: what did you do to your comet today?

Post by lavron »

So I popped one of drip rail moldings off today, I was nervous about bending them (the one came off fine) but they need to come off so I can replace the seam sealer in the drip rail and they could use a few small dents tapped back out.

What is the best way to remove the old dried out seam sealer?

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I just drove it ,,,been sitin for 3wks had to pick it's prime up but then it just bust's off and as long as I start it every couple of days it always starts as soon as the starter kicks in ,,,,more then a few days of not starting it ,,,I have to crank on it,,,been that way ever since I started using EDELBROCK carbs,infact everything I ever owned has been that way with those carbs....might help if I would add a choke cable as I have the chokes in op...ON WELL !!! .......POP :) :wink:
pop/glenda

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Mine's the same way, and I've got an Edelbrock carb. Once it cranks, it'll crank again on the first turn for 3 or 4 days. If it sits for a week or so, it takes some cranking to fire off. I've got an electric choke kit on the shelf (birthday present from my son-in-law), so hopefully that will help when I get it on. He also gave me a 1" spacer that I'll install at the same time. Had to sit idling for about 5 minutes with a hot engine waiting to get gas after the hurricane, then shut it off when I got to the pump. After getting gas, it took some cranking to get it restarted. Hopefully, the spacer will help that situation.
Jim

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

ye, might be wrong...as OL POP ain;t the brightest light in the cluster....it will help with the spacer...
pop/glenda

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

lavron wrote:So I popped one of drip rail moldings off today, I was nervous about bending them (the one came off fine) but they need to come off so I can replace the seam sealer in the drip rail and they could use a few small dents tapped back out.

What is the best way to remove the old dried out seam sealer?

See Ya,
Mike
I took an old screw driver that was smaller than the bottom of the rail and gentle used it as a chisel Mike. It worked good. Then installed that 3M epoxy metal adhesive.
tomb's 65

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

tomb22 wrote:I took an old screw driver that was smaller than the bottom of the rail and gentle used it as a chisel Mike. It worked good. Then installed that 3M epoxy metal adhesive.
Yes that is what I figured would have to happen, some of it I popped out by hand (there is still more loose in there) and some of it is still firmly attached, I guess it would be best to try and remove all the 50 year old sealer and replace it?

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

StPro

Post by StPro »

I ordered a replacement cowl panel today. One less piece to patch.
Only use the brakes to stop and get gas.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
93 Mark VIII Supercharged w/Fogger
70 Torino GT

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

StPro wrote:I ordered a replacement cowl panel today. One less piece to patch.
which one did you get ? the closed in one or the one with slotted vents? tell us how it fits when you get to doing it.
Johno

StPro

Post by StPro »

poboyjo65 wrote:
StPro wrote:I ordered a replacement cowl panel today. One less piece to patch.
which one did you get ? the closed in one or the one with slotted vents? tell us how it fits when you get to doing it.
I do believe the one with slotted vents. I didn't know there was a closed one. My cowl has three of the bars on the vents with hole. I did think about cutting them out but then i would have to remove the same on both sides to stay symmetrical. When I taped it up it looked weird. Since I was replacing the firewall and the bottom of the air box this will make it easier.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
70 Torino GT

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I dont know if autokrafters has them but dynacorn is the manufacturer of both. here is a pic of the ventless one;
http://restorationpartssource.com/store ... 5qEALw_wcB
appears cheaper too, though shipping could be worse.
Johno

StPro

Post by StPro »

poboyjo65 wrote:I dont know if autokrafters has them but dynacorn is the manufacturer of both. here is a pic of the ventless one;
http://restorationpartssource.com/store ... 5qEALw_wcB
appears cheaper too, though shipping could be worse.
That panel would mean you would not need to patch the one under it to keep it from leaking on your feet :D
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
70 Torino GT

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

And without the louvres you'll no longer have a fresh air heater but if you open the inside pass side heater door you'll have recycled air. but you feet will sray dry.
Ron

StPro

Post by StPro »

Comechero65 wrote:And without the louvres you'll no longer have a fresh air heater but if you open the inside pass side heater door you'll have recycled air. but you feet will sray dry.
Ron
I have been to the track on hot days and having the vents working is a real plus.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
70 Torino GT

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Took it out for a few quick rides today. first time in 3 months. An Ac project snowballed into a bunch of other work that needed to be done before it all got buried beneath. But it was a beautiful fall day for a drive. But between washing off the dust & sweeping out the shop while the car wasn't in the way there wasn't much time left, but it felt good to grab some gears & feel that rearend twitch around :twisted:
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Got my trim mounting clips/studs today and bolted the grill and hood trim fully, going to count this little project complete.

I had to touch up the grill where I scratched it the other day putting the trim (temporarily) on way too soon after I painted it, so while I had the flat black out I sprayed a little on the stuff behind the grill it made everything pretty much disappear. I will do a permanent job painting the core support after I repair/replace it.

Haven't picked my next mini project for the Comet yet but the weather is getting a bit cold to think about doing much more painting, I might take a stab at repairing my "new" steering wheel just for fun. :roll: and there is always motor stuff :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread