65 Futura in East TN . . .

All the Ford Sisters...Falcon, Mustang, Maverick & Fairlane, etc. Try and keep your post relevant for Comet users
poboyjo65

Re: 65 Futura in East TN . . .

Post by poboyjo65 »

Looks like you hit the wall at Daytona with that trunk lid up front! :lol: But I know this has to feel good to get to this point. congrats! :D
Johno

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

I ran out of sawhorses! Had to do something LOL. It does feel good to get this far; its only been 5 years or so. Hope the rest doesn't take that long!

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

An update of sorts. . . . .

Job is still up in the air. The powers that be keep pushing the layoff date to the right, which is highly annoying and hard to plan for. On a separate note, the same "powers - that - be" discovered that I have extensive experience with their new, soon to be adopted maintenance software, so now I'm pushing a desk and off of my tools for a while, with an offer to work as a "consultant" after said layoff. Surprising and odd turn of events, but it'll keep me employed 9 months longer if I don't run for the hills.

Deer season started well, so there's a nice pile of venison in the freezer . . . .

On too the important stuff. I've been in the blocking phase for a few months now, as time permits. Usually a few hours a night several nights a week, but I'm finally finished with the high build on the body and doors, blocking with 400. I'll shoot the jambs, cowl, etc in the next week or so, hang the doors and go on to the fenders. Getting closer every day . . .

Dan

A tease of sorts. Played around with 600 wet on the roof this morning. Closer every day.
Last edited by bigdan on Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

So, almost ready for color on the body. My plan all along had been to get to this point, shoot the jambs, cowl, etc, then the inside of the doors, hang the doors, fenders, etc and then shoot the body all at once. I had planned to shoot right over the high build, but my paint guy recommended shooting a coat of epoxy primer reduced a little over my high build first, then color. Another guy I know that sprayed for a body shop said it wasn't necessary. Thoughts, fellas? What would Lou do? Thanks for your input -

Dan

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

bigdan wrote:So, almost ready for color on the body. My plan all along had been to get to this point, shoot the jambs, cowl, etc, then the inside of the doors, hang the doors, fenders, etc and then shoot the body all at once. I had planned to shoot right over the high build, but my paint guy recommended shooting a coat of epoxy primer reduced a little over my high build first, then color. Another guy I know that sprayed for a body shop said it wasn't necessary. Thoughts, fellas? What would Lou do? Thanks for your input -

Dan
First car looks good, your moving right along!

I myself wouldn't.

Basiclly reduced epoxy acts as a sealer. And sealer does have a purpose. If you have any questionable substrates/materials/work on your car then I would use the sealer. If I am doing a car that has some original paint, some primered areas, some unknown work, and/or used parts that are different color than I use a sealer. It will keep surprises away and limit any die back.

But from what I have seen in your build you really have no reason for it. You did the epoxy first(which would keep anything under it from coming thru) then the high build. The high build has been on long enough it is good and dry so no worries about die back. Sand it with 600 and get it ready for paint.

Why I don't like sealer is you are no longer putting the paint over the nice smooth wet sanded surface. Any dust, texture, dryness you get with the sealer will be there when you spray the paint. Also spraying sealer on first will also put out overspray that will dry places like on your masking paper/plastic and may or may not be blown back onto car when you paint color or clear even. (Although you would get it off with tack rag between coats, when I tack rag a car I do the whole thing including what is masked) .

Sealers and epoxy used as a sealer have time windows, X amount of time to wait before coating, using the epoxy thinned 10% of RTS you have to wait 2 hours to spray color and a PPG rep told me better to wait overnight after using it as sealer before spraying color. Plus you have the inducion time when you mix the stuff. So after mixing the epoxy you wait 15 min mininum and closer to 40 minutes preferred induction time before you spray it, then if you do not have enough mixed for the job you mix more and wait again.

Also spraying over a sealer you only have the chemical bond between the paint and sealer, where spraying over sanded high build you have the chemical bond and the mechanical? Bond from sanding.

IMO if you have the car all in high build and no worries under it epoxy as a sealer is a waste of time/money and better chance of something going wrong.

If you do decide to seal the car first, IMHO you would be better using a Shopline ready to spray sealer.

Lou

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Thanks, Lou. That's exactly what I was looking for, a recommendation with an explanation. Makes perfect sense to me! Hope to be in color soon, but still a long way. Thanks for the info.

Dan

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Another question looking for input. I can't narrow it down on final color scheme - torn between either a dark metallic grey (gloss) or a simple satin dark grey. Wheels will be gloss black with spiders, all factory stainless, with a satin black interior. Thoughts?

Dan

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Well, I like shiny so the metallic grey would be my choice.
That way the wheels and bright work won't over shadow it plus there would be contrast between interior and exterior.
Just my nickel,, no pennies in Canada.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

I'm leaning towards the glossy metallic also, I just hope my bodywork is straight enough! :mrgreen: I need to narrow it down; should make a decision this week I hope. My dash gage bezel may finally be finished this weekend too! Thanks for looking -

Dan

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

bigdan wrote:I'm leaning towards the glossy metallic also, I just hope my bodywork is straight enough! :mrgreen: I need to narrow it down; should make a decision this week I hope. My dash gage bezel may finally be finished this weekend too! Thanks for looking -

Dan
I also prefer glossy. But many are going with the satin paint nowadays. Not a fan of flat paint but the satin is kind of growing on me a little. ( tho glossy still fav)

IMO Problem with flat and satin is upkeep/maintaining it. Esp flat! But recently talking to a paint rep and he was telling me that some of the new satin's can be waxed. Which would change the game a little.

Your car your choice. Gloss will show bodywork more than satin, if you are really worried about it.
Lou

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Lou -

That was my biggest issue with the satin. I had a satin black Fairlane years ago that was miserable to keep clean, especially if birds were around. As for the gloss showing bodywork, I'm not too worried. As best I can tell its as straight as I can get it, and not too bad in my humble opinion, especially with all the quarter work, etc. I guess we'll see soon enough! :mrgreen:

Dan

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Lou's Comet wrote: But recently talking to a paint rep and he was telling me that some of the new satin's can be waxed. Which would change the game a little.

Lou
Lou is that in a single stage or basecoat/clearcoat ?
Johno

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Lou's Comet wrote: But recently talking to a paint rep and he was telling me that some of the new satin's can be waxed. Which would change the game a little.

Lou
Lou is that in a single stage or basecoat/clearcoat ?
John, not really sure. was talking to him at the local AACA regionals. If I was to guess I would say bc/cc.
One guy uses unseated lemon pledge furniture spray for his satin paint job and it looked good. I haven't done any satin paint yet, did a flat paint on a 36 recently and all you can do is wash it with soap and water.

Lou

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

bigdan wrote:Lou -

That was my biggest issue with the satin. I had a satin black Fairlane years ago that was miserable to keep clean, especially if birds were around. As for the gloss showing bodywork, I'm not too worried. As best I can tell its as straight as I can get it, and not too bad in my humble opinion, especially with all the quarter work, etc. I guess we'll see soon enough! :mrgreen:

Dan
Sounds like your good to go with either satin or gloss. If you decide on satin ask your paint supplier for the phone number of their regional paint rep and call him for his Input. Do the research before you buy.

Satin is becoming popular. You can make any color satin. Seen a truck awhile back that was a satin pearl gray. And to honest it looked pretty good. I seen a brochure from ppg on their satin paints that had different degrees of satin ness?? Went from almost flat to what would be more of a semi gloss. Think there was like 4/5 different degrees?? Of satin.

There are just too many choices :) I am going with basic high gloss black on mine.

Lou

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

I like the satin look; I'm seriously debating my next project ( the red 3100 sneaking around the background in a few of my pics) just wet sanding it back down and shooting a satin clear over it. It's a family member just like my 65, just getting new motivation i.e. chassis/drivetrain. Needs to be a little more hateful.

That being said, I left work early and forced myself to go decide on a color, and it's done. No turning back. I had narrowed it down already, but, without any more waffling . . . . . I'm going with 2017 Ford Magnetic Metallic in an acrylic enamel. If time and deer season permits I may even get the jambs and cowl shot this weekend; we'll see.

Thanks for enduring - :mrgreen:

Dan

Not my pic, but here's the color.
Last edited by bigdan on Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.